Cumbria
Cheshire
Greater Manchester
Lancashire
Merseyside
junzuki

Lancaster & Preston Park and Ride

Post by junzuki »

Initial attempt for Motorhome parking and facilities at P & R Lancaster & Preston car parks has been met with the usual excuses see response from deputy council leader & Cabinet member for Highways & Transport below.
Site security seems to be the greatest issue and as usual the only solution they see is hight barriers and lock up. I'll write again to suggest Canterbury's solution does not seem to compromise security and see if I can sway them to consider other options to deliver both Moho facilities and security for all users.
Dear Mr Brier
Motorhome Parking
Phone: (01772) 535842
Email: keith.iddon@lancashire.gov.uk Your ref:
Our ref:
Date:
Thank you for your email dated 18 July 2020, with your suggestions on providing parking facilities for motorhomes at our Park and Ride sites. Whilst I appreciate your arguments for enabling this, the county council cannot take this forward at the current time.
The Preston, Walton-le-Dale and Lancaster Park and Ride sites are located on the outskirts of the cities in an attempt to remove cars from the city centre and to relieve congestion as customers access the city centres using the bus services. The sites are therefore relatively isolated and security after dark and at night is therefore a key priority for us. I understand that the motorhome communities do not represent a security concern and that the majority follow a well-defined code of conduct, but this does not remove the security risk for us from others. The overall safety of everyone using the site has to be our priority, including the safety of motorhomers.
At the Preston, Walton-le-Dale Park and Ride we have had significant amounts of damage caused to the site on previous occasions. Officers therefore have to lock the site after the last bus service to keep it as secure as possible and we also have height barriers on all entrances.
At the Lancaster Park and Ride site, the car parks are not limited to park and ride but are intended to be multi-use for park and walk, park and cycle and park and car share as well. We do have some instances of people parking on the site overnight or late into the evening and car sharing with others to reach destinations along the M6. The site is therefore not currently locked at night and there are no height barriers. Motorhomes can access the site and cars and vehicles can be left overnight. However, we do not encourage overnight camping as no facilities are available and the last bus service into the city is at 7 pm so there is no easy access to city centre amenities.
Lancashire County Council
PO Box 100  County Hall  Preston  PR1 0LD www.lancashire.gov.uk
CCKI/PD/55287 10 August 2020
Continued...
-2-
The security situation at the Lancaster Park and Ride is under review as the car park has been used before by HGVs, which caused damage to the car park surface, and by travellers. We have also had reports of the site being used for gatherings at night. This may force us to install fencing and height barriers in the future.
For information on parking that is available overnight or for motorhomes, please visit the Lancaster City Council and Preston City Council webpages.
I hope this information is helpful. Yours sincerely
County Councillor Keith Iddon
Deputy Leader of Lancashire County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transport

It's a real shame because the Lancaster P & R is right by the M6 Junction so great for passing travellers heading to Lakes & Scotland. Also being a P & R could be the easiest way to visit Lancaster. Parking for motorhomes in Lancaster is almost none existent.