Cumbria
Cheshire
Greater Manchester
Lancashire
Merseyside
Winks

Re: Barrow in Furness

Post by Winks »

I have just read the page under this link concerning motorhome parking in the borough of Barrow in Furness.

https://www.barrowbc.gov.uk/visitors/mo ... 72ofHhhtNU

Whilst I accept it is a start, I have to say it seems to have required little effort on behalf of the tourist authority. For instance, in the ''Code of conduct'' we are exhorted to dispose of grey and black waste at ''official locations with safe and legal facilities'', yet no such locations are given or even exist to the best of my knowledge.

After the bank holiday weekend I'll contact the person i have previously had dealings with and see if I can give them a clearer idea of what can be achieved for very little outlay. I'm surprised there is no mention of parking being made available at the Dock Museum or at West Shore, both of which have mains drainage and water close to hand.

Cheers

Harold Windle
Winks

Post by Winks »

Sent the following off to my contact at The Forum in Barrow.

Good Evening Daisy,

I have just read the page at https://www.barrowbc.gov.uk/visitors/mo ... 72ofHhhtNU and I guess you have had some input to it.

Whilst I welcome the official designation of areas for overnight parking of motorhomes, and thank you for that, I have a couple of questions / suggestions to help flesh this early provision out a little.

Under the ‘’Code of conduct’’ section on the page we are encouraged to dispose of black and grey waste at, ‘'Official locations with safe and legal facilities’’. I note that no indication of where these facilities are. Most owners of motorhomes are well used to managing the disposal of their waste responsibly but the facilities have to be in place in order to fulfil this basic requirement.

Here’s a couple of suggestions for an easy and cheap way to provide black waste disposal within the borough. From my local knowledge I know there are water and drainage facilities at West Shore which could very easily be adapted to accept black waste, indeed it is very possible to empty a toilet cassette into a standard toilet without a problem. Most owners will do this on returning home using there house toilet. The other site for waste disposal which suggests itself is at the Dock Museum, which incidentally would work as a good overnight spot on the small sunken parking area. The presence of overnighting motorhomes would also enhance security wherever they are, some churches and community halls have found this to be the case. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.11203 ... a=!3m1!1e3.

These are my initial observations on the above web page and I am very willing to spend time with someone from your office to show what I think is possible and desirable to bring well heeled motorhome visitors to the area.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if someone from your office would be willing to meet up or talk to me on 07851 947990.

Regards

Harold Windle
Winks

Post by Winks »

This morning I have contacted Sandra Baines by email and sent her links to a newspaper article about new facilities at Malaig and the Campra link.

I thought a photo of the type of facilities we are looking to have established may be worth a thousand words.

Cheers

Winks
Winks

Post by Winks »

The email I sent a couple of hours ago has been forwarded by the recipient to the planners involved in the local project and I was thanked for my input. So that’ll do.

Cheers

Winks
Winks

Post by Winks »

Barrow has secured some funding from central government and a whizzy website and proposed community developments are on the cards for Walney Island, specifically Earnse Bay. I have been on said website this morning and left the following comment and referenced Campra.

Very pleased to see some movement on the provision of overnight parking for motorhomes on the island, very welcome. Earnse Bay is a wonderful asset which has been ignored and allowed to decay for decades, most recently the loss of vehicular access to the shore top to the north of the West Shore Park. I have spoken to visitors in motorhomes at Earnse Bay and they have been bowled over by the quality of the views and the beach but have sometimes felt they were not welcome. It does seem odd that the massive tarmac car park is supposedly subject to a no overnight policy when the presence of overnighting motorhomes could possibly inhibit anti social behaviour to some extent. I’m glad to see the kite school is developing and bringing people to the area but the people do need facilities for the disposal of toilet waste and grey water when they come to the area in camper vans and motorhomes. The provision of a sluice at the existing toilet block would be a great help. I am a member of a campaigning group attempting to have continental style services developed in uk and I live on Walney so will be pleased to help in any way I can to get the island on the map.

This was the website. https://brilliantbarrow.org.uk/2021/06/ ... comment-39

Cheers

H
Winks

Post by Winks »

With regard to grey and black disposal in the borough, I have contacted Sandra Baines again this morning asking if a bowser type disposal point can provided somewhere.

The link on the Visit Cumbria only shows facilities at three locations, none of them in Furness.

Morning again

Glad to see things are developing around the overnight parking for motorhomes in the borough and have had a few contacts from members of various forums singing the praises of Walney in particular.

On the subject of grey water and toilet waste disposal, I see Visit Cumbria are promoting some sites where bowsers are being provided free of charge. Do you know why, if this is a county initiative, a similar facility appears not to have been provided in Furness?

People are discovering the Furness peninsular and many motorhomes tour all year round so an easy fix to the lack of disposal sites seems a good idea.

Regards

Harold Windle

Cheers

H
Winks

Post by Winks »

And here's her reply ...

Morning Harold, really pleased you have had positive comments, this is very much a trial year for the Borough and really welcome any feedback. Unfortunately, In terms of waste is really is about cost and obtaining the funding to obtain bowsers, something we would hope we could look at for the future. Many thanks Sandra

Cheers

H

So I'm wondering who funded the bowsers dotted around the rest of Cumbria? If they've been funded through county council budgets, how come that does not extend to the borough?
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Since motorcaravans are mobile I am puzzled by it being thought necessary to have bowser type waste on site. Barrow has a perfectly good sewerage system. Surely a location can be found somewhere in the Borough where utilities are available to provide a motorhome service point…near toilets? Near a council depot or sewerage station? By collaboration and perhaps some seed corn funding for a garage, car wash or other concern to provide a service?
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

Maybe have a look to see if there are any Kay group service stations or Revution Laundry facilities (or even anywhere suitable for the m to set up. They are both hoping to work with us.
mikenolan

Post by mikenolan »