Tyne and Wear
East Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
Eddiey

Northumberland County Council

Post by Eddiey »

As you will see from the reports there has been a new Aire proposed at Amble on the Braid, exactly the spot I recommended to Amble Town Council, NCC and Camping Car Park. It is a great spot quite obviously suited to parking motorhomes.

NCC still keep their cards off the table but I’m hoping we might get invited into the final talks!

Keep sending out the emails who knows there could be more in the pipeline.

Slowly we are making a difference.

https://www.theambler.co.uk/2021/02/09/ ... for-amble/
Eddiey

Re: Northumberland County Council

Post by Eddiey »

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk ... st-3142629

More parking and rules for Northumberland but no extra overnight parking.
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

Following a recent announcement on BBC Look North.

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk ... ns-3145511
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

Thank you letter to NCC and Northumberland Gazette.

Dear Northumberland County Councillors,

“Overnight stays in Northumberland car parks could get the go ahead”

Congratulations on your recent decision.
As a Motorhome owner, I sincerely hope your recently announced idea of allowing overnight stays in car parks in Northumberland, does go ahead.
At a stroke, this decision will help ease parking problems by spreading tourism throughout Northumberland, financially assisting local businesses/communities and help local employment.
Should this become a reality, it would put Northumberland County Council at the forefront of innovative councils in the UK, in particular for taking early action in dealing with the effects of Staycation and helping motorhome tourism in general and hopefully into the future.
I have also emailed this to The Northumberland Gazette.
Very well done,
Best regards,

Eddie Yarrow,
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

Reply from Leader of NCC to my thank you letter.

Dear Mr Yarrow
Thank you for your email and for your support for what we wish to do.
There is a growing need to properly cater for the motorhome user and we hope to begin a planned development of sites over the coming years.
Thank you again for taking the trouble to write and best wishes
Glen

Councillor Glen Sanderson
Leader of the County Council
County Councillor Longhorsley Ward
County Hall
Morpeth
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

Due to a recent email received by a member from NCC parking I have now sent an email to them.

Fao. Parking Services
Local Services
Northumberland County Council

Dear Sir /Madam,
I am a resident of Northumberland.
Through news releases over recent months, I had been given the impression that NCC were wisely looking at relaxing Traffic Regulation Orders or Byelaws to allow self contained motorhomes to park overnight in NCC run car parks.
Through a colleague I have been informed that this is not now the case.

Quote;
“Regretfully we were unable to obtain the relevant planning permission needed to facilitate overnight parking for motorhomes in Northumberland.
So unfortunately our parking policy of no overnight parking, cooking and camping remains in place within our car parks.

We appreciate that this will not be the news you were hoping for and hope you will consider still visiting Northumberland and make suitable alternative arrangements for any overnight stays.”

If the above quote is correct, I would like to know exactly how the NCC have arrived at this decision? Could you please tell me exactly what laws have been considered in coming to this conclusion?

I am of course hoping the information I have been given is incorrect.

Eddie Yarrow
Address supplied.
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

This article appeared in 30th July 2021 Gazette.

https://www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk ... 8sXDsqY9t8

We are in ongoing discussions with NCC and as far I as I understand this is not "dead in the water" yet.
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

I have written to the lady below because NCC are bidding for the City Of Culture 2025 jointly with the Borders. If they wish to be successful then they need to welcome all visitors to the region.

To Janice Rose
Head of Economy and Regeneration at Northumberland County Council

My name is Eddie Yarrow, I am a director with CAMpRA (Campaign for Real Aires) a Not for Profit Company.
As you are head of Economy and Regeneration I would like to draw your attention to a growing lucrative area of the tourist market which Northumberland and the UK have been missing out on, and which Northumberland County Council are likely to continue missing out, under the present NCC parking policy of no overnight parking/sleeping.
I read with interest a recent article in the Newcastle Chronicle, that Northumberland are teaming up with the Scottish Borders region to compete for the City of Culture (CoC), competition 2025.
This would be a great opportunity to show that Northumberland is happy to welcome all kinds of tourists, including some of the 400,000 motorhome tourists in this country and when covid is over, some of the 2m motorhomes from Europe.
I feel the CoC judges will expect to see areas of natural beauty along with fine historical buildings and culture. Most importantly, it would be expected that these bidders have a welcoming culture to greet the large numbers of visitors who would be drawn to the area with this prestigious title, and among these extra visitors to the area, will be more tourists in motorhomes.
Which brings me to ask, how do you intend to accommodate these extra motorhome tourists, when under present NCC parking policies, you actively discourage motorhomes from visiting and staying overnight in Northumberland? These are not only my words, please take a look at some of the comments on our Facebook page. The comments were deliberately turned off at an early stage. NCC comments from visitors
(Many comments like this have also appeared on other websites).

Europe has over 13,000 parking areas for motorhomes called Aires, Stellplatz, or Sostas, many in villages, towns, cities and places of culture, helping create a thriving motorhome tourist industry, worth billions to the EU economy. The CoC judges will be very aware of this type of tourism and its value especially to local economies, and will be perplexed to hear that Northumberland does not welcome these tourists. The question has to be asked, “will this affect Northumberland and The Borders chances of winning this bid?”
We recently had a beneficial meeting with the Planning Development, Regeneration Growth team from Durham.
They are strongly in favour of Aires throughout Durham, seeing this as an inexpensive way to increase overnight stays and spread tourism around the county especially helping local economies, by bringing income to all parts of Durham.
Also, I noted that Durham is bidding for City of Culture 2025.

CAMpRA have become the recognised authority in the UK for information and support on providing overnight parking (Aires) for self contained motorcaravans. We are proposing the use of a model similar to the one that has proved so successful in mainland Europe, Australia, New Zealand and many other countries.
CAMpRA has support in Westminster and the House of Lords as well as tourism bodies and many local Councils and National Parks. In addition, CAMpRA has the support of the British Parking Association, All Party Political Group for Holiday Parks and Campsites and the xxxxxxx xxxxxx Council and is also engaging with the xxxx & xxxxx xxxxxx.
UK Motorhome occupants spend around £1 BILLION annually, please see our survey results. Surely, Northumberland Economy & Regeneration and Northumberland rate payers want part of this income?
Please see results from our survey below.
https://campra.org.uk/wp-content/upload ... 202020.pdf

By engaging with us to establish Aires, overnight parking/sleeping (the norm in Europe), we can work together to find a mutually satisfactory way forward, that would benefit the City of Culture bid, Northumberland County Council, residents, businesses in Northumberland and tourists alike and also help in the long term economic regeneration of Northumberland.
Best Regards,
Eddie Yarrow
Steve

Post by Steve »

Very good well balanced letter
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »