Tyne and Wear
East Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
PatRonK

Richmond, North Yorkshire

Post by PatRonK »

I have identified two car parks in Richmond that would be suitable for a motorhome stopover so, on 15 March 2021 I wrote the following letter (incorporating CAMpRA templates) to Tony Clark, the Chief Executive of Richmondshire District Council (RDC) and he forwarded it to Colin Dales whose response I have posted below my letter. Sadly, his response was negative and very dismissive - I doubt he bothered to read the CAMpRA survey that I also sent. I have now also written to the two RDC councillors in whose ward these car parks are located and I await their response.

Mr Tony Clark, Chief Executive
Richmondshire District Council
Mercury House, Station Road
RICHMOND
DL10 4JX

Dear Mr Clark

I am a resident of Richmond and also a member of several national motorhome groups: CAMpRA (The Campaign for Real Aires with over 12,000 members), Brit Stops and the Motorcaravanners Club. According to a recent survey by CAMpRA, there are 357,517 motorcaravans registered in the UK (source: DVLA June 2020) and this figure is growing fast.

Motorcaravan owners, “Motorhomers” are very keen to visit our area and the 2020 CAMpRA survey shows they would be likely to spend an average of £50 per day locally. Motorhomers are mostly retirees with disposable income but the coronavirus pandemic has broadened the appeal of a motorcaravan as a self-contained holiday unit to people of all ages and family units.

THEY HAVE NOWHERE TO STAY !!

Motorhomers very rarely use campsites, hotels or B&Bs so any provision would not be in competition with these providers. CAMpRA was set up to establish a network of “Aires” across the UK to provide Motorhomers with the three things they need -

1) An overnight parking space
2) A service area to dispose of toilet cassette & washing up waste
3) A freshwater supply

The CAMpRA definition of an Aire is –

“A parking area signed to indicate motorcaravan overnight parking is allowed – with or without services – and with no restriction on sleeping.”

I am writing to urge Richmondshire District Council to consider creating Aires on Round Howe car park on Reeth Road and Yorke Square car park on the Green, both of which are under-utlised and both of which already have Pay & Display machines that could be altered to include

an overnight fee of, say, £5. A limited number of spaces, 3 or 5 perhaps, could be allocated as motorhome spaces. Both these car parks already have public toilets so, with some additional investment, a service area as described above could also be provided. I am sure there are also other car parks within Richmondshire that could be used to provide an Aire.

There are many success stories around the country -

• Forestry Scotland has just completed a pilot scheme which it is now continuing
• Craven District Council have trialled with 2 car parks and have just extended to 3
• Canterbury Council have 3 such 'Aires'
• Hawick Council are having great success with their scheme

There are many more and many in the process of being setting up.

I suspect any concerns you might have will be with regard to the 'wrong' people using these car parks/sites so CAMpRA, has undertaken research and discovered the following:

1) The presence of paying motorhomes deters criminals - lots of extra pairs of eyes – just display a contact number for police/security.
2) In rural areas, it has mostly eliminated fly tipping.
3) It can generate a fair amount of revenue which would offset any (minimal) costs involved.
4) CAMpRA is associated with the 'Wild & Wombling Motorhomers' whose mission is to clear up litter after other people.

The BIGGEST BENEFIT, however, is that of their contribution to the local economy.

Please have a look at the CAMpRA website https://www.campra.org.uk and the attached documents: What is an Aire and the CAMpRA 2020 survey.

I should be grateful if you would consider a meeting with some of my motorhoming friends and me. CAMpRA has much more information that could help you and we have lots of networking opportunities for promoting tourism to our area. It really is a 'Win/Win ' situation.

Yours sincerely
RDC response ref aires Mar 2021.pdf
(72.17 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Madwitch

Re: Richmond, North Yorkshire

Post by Madwitch »

Perhaps it might be worth pointing him to the comments on the website from Kielder Forest, who have said they've noticed a decrease in antisocial behaviour since allowing motorhomes to overnight, since they act as a deterrent.
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

That is a fantastic letter - you have covered absolutely everything. As you mention, try other councillors & possibly keep the MP in the loop. Maybe we can carry out a "Sleep Out to Help Out" in Richmondshire at some point this year if we can find a business willing to accommodate us. 😊
PatRonK

Post by PatRonK »

Thanks for your kind comments. I have read about the "sleep out to help out" but, unfortunately, the none of the pubs in Richmond itself have car parks that would accommodate motorhomes. However, there are some in the surrounding villages that might be suitable. I will have a look at this and offer some suggestions.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Does not have to be pubs? Could be restaurants, tea shops, cafes, anywhere that as a car park and where we can soend money to support the business and the town.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Jmick

Post by Jmick »

I can see now why we have no luck with Richmondshire District Council. The following taken from their own website regarding what tenants can't park on their Council Estates (see **):

You can't park:
A vehicle on the estate or on your property except on a driveway or a paved area intended for parking
Vehicles such as caravans, boats on trailers or commercial vehicles in designated parking areas
Any vehicle in your gardens, on greens or grass verges
**Any caravan or motorhome on the estate, or the area around your home or in any communal parking area, without getting our permission in writing first**
An unroadworthy vehicle, or one which can't be legally be driven on the road, on the land around your home or on the road

So it would appear even their own rent-paying tenants are unable to freely park their own motorhomes near their property without 'seeking permission' 😕
Steve

Post by Steve »

Be interesting to know what legislation they have used to prevent a legal road vehicle from parking on an highway ?
I understand caravans and trailers but a motorhome is a licensed motor vehicle unles the roads on the estates are private roads?
But what is important is the small businesses, keep looking you will find places as the open up.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team