Tyne and Wear
East Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
Marilyn

Proposed motorhome parking ban at Staithes

Post by Marilyn »

In response to a Fb post by Gary Buckingham, which has now been taken down, I just wanted to say that I have put in my two penn'orth and emailed Redcar/Cleveland Council, as per the link given. I live in Cornwall but have written as someone who regularly makes forays all over the place.
Steve

Re: Proposed motorhome parking ban at Staithes

Post by Steve »

Hi Maryln that great, the post has not been taken down but admin will try to reduced chat and maintain focus on the campaign so once once initial comments have been made and actions recommended there is nothing to be gained by ongoing comments.
You have done the right thing by responding and starting a topic on here where we can keep track.
The get lost on Facebook.👍👍
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Carol 47

Post by Carol 47 »

Email sent
Carol 47

Post by Carol 47 »

reply to email received ...

Thank you for your email which will be taken into consideration before a decision is made as to whether the proposals should be implemented.
Kind regards

Emma Garbutt
Senior Legal Officer (Planning and Highways)
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
CampersAgainstLitter

Post by CampersAgainstLitter »

I have also sent an email to Emma Garbutt.
Fatfranky

Post by Fatfranky »

I also sent an Email last night to Emma Garbutt, I then decided to forward my email to the other councillors/officials named in the article.

For reference this was my E Mail

Good evening Tim, I have just sent the following to Emma Garbutt and am forwarding to yoursel for your information

Good evening Emma

I have just read an article on the Teesside live website regarding the councils proposals in respect of the above.

I would like to state my objection to the proposal to ban campervans, as campervan owners in our 50s, myself & partner visited Staithes last year (when regulations allowed) and stayed in Cowbar car park. There were other campervans and motor homes staying and I saw no evidence of anti social behaviour, littering or dumping of waste from any of them. There were also dog walkers & walkers pulling in, then departing some time later and some cars that appeared to be parked overnight, presumably residents.

I think there Is an increasing trend to blame campervanners for all sorts of issues when perhaps they should be viewed as a potential revenue stream. Myself and partner arrived late afternoon, we had not planned to stay in staithes but liked it so much we decided to stay. We walked down into the village had dinner and drinks at the Cod & Lobster, then went along to the Royal George, whist sitting outside we noticed the lady from Dottys tea room leaving some scones outside and were told by a local that these were fresh unsold scones and that we could go and help ourselves and leave money in an honesty box, which we did, they were delicious, our spend in Staithes was £82, the following morning we moved on and stopped in Saltburn (also within your borough) and spent more money on breakfast.

I’m telling you this to convey what a positive impression our visit left on us, we would like to visit again and stay at cowbar but if the proposed restrictions are implemented we could not do so. We prefer to stay in local communities and pub stops, but use campsites too but generally only require their facilities every 3 days or so (campsites tend to be too far out of town). We have also stayed overnight in car parks where a charge is levied by the local authority (Skipton & Chester) and would be willing to pay a small charge to park overnight at places like cowbar! I wonder if the people asking for the banning of campervans would be willing to pay for their exclusive use of this car park ? I suspect not!

In continental Europe towns and villages welcome campervan tourists and provide overnight parking, either free or at a small charge, in France they are known as “Aires” and in Germany they are called stallplatz. They allow overnight parking, but not camping, the difference being that the vehicle remains within its own footprint, no barbecues, deckchairs or awnings. Some local authorities in the uk offer similar facilities where they allow campervans to stay overnight within designated car parks for a fee, examples are, Skipton, Chester, Canterbury, Helmsley, Hawick plus many more. The financial advantage of this to the local authority is that it generates revenue using existing infrastructure at minimum outlay.

Thank you for taking the time to read my email and I would implore you, before implementing these proposals to speak to the Staithes business community as I’m certain that they will tell you the value of campervan tourists.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me

Best Regards

I received the following response almost immediately from councillor Barry Hunt

Thank you Mr Price I have read all your comments and have taken them on board
There is still consultation out on this and we will see where that leads us once again thank you for taking the time to send this to me
Barry

Then this morning I received this from Councillor Tim Gray

Morning Frank
I two am a motorhome owner and I totally agree with everything you have written
It seems the council me included have been fed a tall tale from some of the residents down there who said they represent the whole cowbar village
It seems not
A letter was sent to residents asking their views and only a few replies were received
The ones we got back said they represent the whole village and these same people were the ones that attended meetings arranged again saying the were there to speak for the whole village again it seems not
Not until the t r o signs went up did other villagers come forward
So its left us in a tight position
But we are working on a salutation
I personally would like to see a formalized parking area and a area for campervans like on the continent
Regards
Tim

Which I think makes interesting reading
Jmick

Post by Jmick »

I too have sent an email (prompt 'stock' reply from the Authority). I have passed the info to other motorcaravan owners, who have said they too will contact the Authority (I think the closing date is 17th April). When neighbouring counties and Scotland are all intending to improve overnight parking for owners, the Cowbar proposal seems so backward looking. Shame.
Jmick

U Turn Over Cowbar at Staithes

Post by Jmick »

U turn over Cowbar at Staithes 😁 (doesn't exactly say motorcaravans are welcome - but it's a start). Great result though for everyone who sent emails and letters objecting👍

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... y-20679111
Jmick

Overnight Parking Charges Cowbarn, Staithes 2023

Post by Jmick »

Council have now installed a pay to park machine at Cowbar car park. Various daytime hourly charges - £15 overnight - pay online facility. Doesn't appear to mention no overnight sleeping in vehicles - so presume £15 overnight applies to campervan/motorhomes? Who knows 🤷
Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

Just for info, I will at some point (no date set yet) be attending an R&C council meeting following meetings with one of the local councillors who is very supportive. Will update.