Dorset
Somerset
Cornwall and Scilly Isles
Devon
Stephen Peacock

Councillors in Cornwall

Post by Stephen Peacock »

Dear Mr Biscoe
Thank you for getting back to be so promptly and with such a positive response. Yes, the ideal situation would be for towns and villages across Cornwall to have a safe overnight parking space for motorhomes to park up, wander around the town, do some shopping, visit a pub or restaurant and the depart the next day for somewhere else.
We realise that the seaside towns are full up in the summer season and parking is at a premium. However many of us, often retirees, are happy after sightseeing or a a visit to the beach are happy to head inland to quieter villages /towns for the night and enjoy the hospitality there.
A secure parking place with a barrier and a charge if necessary would be agreeable to most of us, especially if there was a water supply and chemical waste facility available.
All over the Continent villages and towns have these aires and they seem to work brilliantly. Places with them attract tourists as their locations are noted on internet apps such as Searchforsites or Park4Night. This undoubtedly brings visitors to towns that might not seem an attraction in their own right. The other advantage is that many motorhomers travel all year round.
Anyway sorry to ramble on, - thank you again for your response. Cheers
Steve Peacock

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 10:45, BERT BISCOE
<bertbiscoe@btinternet.com> wrote:
Truro
21st Februiary 2021

Dear Mr Peacock,

Thank you for your note. At one time I servied as Transport Portfolio Holder for Cornewall Council. At that time I was contacted by a representative of a Motorhomers' Association and I discussed this with Mr Mason, who is Director of the Economy, Growth and Development Directorate of Cornwall Council. As a result of this I understand Mr Mason commissioned an in-house scoping study, the results of which I never learned because the tidal processes of elected office had swept me away to be replaced by another - who is currently Geoff Brown.

I sense that you are making a good case and that Cornwall, which prides itself on being the No1 UK Visitor Destination, is not addressing it with any vigour or creativity.

I have also found that there are many Cornish motorhoming patriots who would like to explore their native country. I think you re sugesting that motorhomers prefer to 'dock' in more built-up places, rather than remotely rural campsites, and that our provision is lacking in this regard. I think this is a good point.

A point which is often made in opposition is that Cornwall is also a focal point for other travellers, and there is an anxiety that an aire might equally atrract less desirable company which would be difficult to manage. I wonder if you have any advice on this aspect.

I am sharing this mail with Mr Mason in the hope that, as we search for new sources of revenue to assist in meeting the costs of national debt, this may be a amall but sustainable and intresting developmental route to pursue.

Thank you for your enquiry. I hope Mr Mason will be in touch with you as time allows.

With best wishes

B

------ Original Message ------
To: "bertbiscoe@btinternet.com" <bertbiscoe@btinternet.com>
Sent: Saturday, 20 Feb, 21 At 18:42
Subject: Motorhome Tourism

Dear Mr Biscoe

With the end of lockdown hopefully in sight, there is the prospect of thousands of motorhomers like me escaping their confines and travelling the country visiting towns and villages, spending in shops and pubs, looking to stay overnight if there is a suitable parking place.

I am a member of the Campaign for Real Aires (CAMpRA). Motorhomes are virtually self contained, needing just to use a water supply and chemical waste facility every few days- so a town or village with safe overnight parking (usually called an aire on the Continent), charging if necessary would be a huge attraction. We rarely need or want all the facilities that a campsite provides and these are usually in the countryside.

The CAMpRA.ORG.UK website sets out in detail the advantages and ease of providing an 'aire' style parking space. With there being apparently over 350,000 motorhomes in the UK this could bring in large numbers of visitors all year round, often retirees, spending in local businesses and requiring very little in the way of resources.

Thank you for letting me present this hopefully mutually beneficial information. If you would like further information please call or email.

Stephen Peacock

stephen.peacock63@yahoo.co.uk

Show less
DevonDavid

Re: Councillors in Cornwall

Post by DevonDavid »

Well done Steve, positive response !!
Stephen Peacock

Re: Councillors in Cornwall

Post by Stephen Peacock »

Dear Ms Kirk

With the end of lockdown hopefully in sight, there is the prospect of thousands of motorhomers like me escaping their confines and travelling the country visiting towns and villages, spending in shops and pubs, looking to stay overnight if there is a suitable parking place.

I am a member of the Campaign for Real Aires (CAMpRA). Motorhomes are virtually self contained, needing just to use a water supply and chemical waste facility every few days- so a town or village with safe overnight parking (usually called an aire on the Continent), charging if necessary would be a huge attraction. We rarely need or want all the facilities that a campsite provides and these are usually in the countryside. Worries about "undesirable elements" misusing the parking can be usually solved by a barrier system for entry and exit.

The CAMpRA.ORG.UK website sets out in detail the advantages and ease of providing an 'aire' style parking space. With there being apparently over 350,000 motorhomes in the UK this could bring in large numbers of visitors all year round, often retirees, spending in local businesses and requiring very little in the way of resources.

Thank you for letting me present this hopefully mutually beneficial information. If you would like further information please call or email.

Stephen Peacock

stephen.peacock63@yahoo.co.uk

Dear Stephen,

I am passing this on to my parish council, as tourism is an important source of income in the Tamar Valley, to see if there is any way in which the PC can offer a site.

Dorothy Kirk

Cornwall Councillor for Gunnislake and Calstock

Thank you so much for your prompt and positive response. I encourage you to have a look at the CAMpRA website which is full of useful information and examples of aires set up in the UK. Cheers
Steve Peacock

Show more