Bristol/Bath
Dorset
Somerset
Cornwall and Scilly Isles
Devon
SBirnie

Looe Valley Trails

Post by SBirnie »

I’ve this morning sent the following email with our Aires Leaflet and new Potential Aire Income document to lvt@cornwall.gov.uk:-

“Hello,

I am a motor caravan owner & member of a rapidly expanding and active national group of such owners known as Campaign for Real Aires (CAMpRA UK). If you have heard from CAMpRA already, please bear with me.

I have come across news of your Looe Valley Trails consultation open for contributions. Thank you for this opportunity. May I put forward suggestions that CAMpRA believes would be mutually beneficial to the success of the LVT and touring motor caravan owners. The majority of such owners carry bicycles with them on tour and look for opportunities to use them. To do so, they need places to stay that are convenient for routes such as the LVTs.

When travel restrictions are lifted, a huge pent up demand will be released as touring owners become active again. There has been a sales explosion of motor caravans with currently over 386,000 registered in the UK. It's not just those in the UK, but also those of the almost 2 million in Europe who will travel here. Caravan and tent sales have also boomed so that, as seen last summer, UK campsite capacity will be overwhelmed.

As explained in the attached, Aire is the French word meaning a stop-over parking place (not camping!) for self-contained motorhomes & motor caravans. Aires are commonplace all over Europe, but not in the UK. CAMpRA believes that this is to the detriment both of such vehicle owners and the UK economy currently struggling with the pandemic fallout.

Aires could be established at suitably strategic sites on the LVTs. These could be parking locations or any available areas that are level. The economic benefits outlined in the attached to the communities on the LVTs would be long-term when the community of UK and European motor caravan owners realise it's a welcoming facility for them. Furthermore, increasingly motor caravan owners are touring all year round, so these benefits would not be confined to just the summer season.

CAMpRA is ready and willing to assist your consideration of Aires, not only for the LVTs plans, but also county wide. I invite you to visit campra.org.uk for free access to more detailed information. Or, email me or contact@campra.org,uk.

Thank you for taking time to consider this email and its attachments. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Steve Birnie “
CShel

Re: Looe Valley Trails

Post by CShel »

Steve - I like it!

My sister's daughter has a holiday apartment in Looe she rents out, and I'm often down there, as my two sisters live in Falmouth. Our father (RIP) once owned the Blisland Inn on Bodmin Moor, which is a CAMPRA Pub Of The Year winner, which is frequented now by cyclists who come up the Camel Valley cycle trail. You don't know who to contact there as well, do you!? No parking area in Blisland although it has a large village green with parking all around it.
At the bottom end of the trail is Padstow, where Chef Rick Stein hangs out with his famous fish and chips restaurant. parking is even more pressed there, though!
Cheers
Charles
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

Thanks, Charles. Sadly, I don’t know the LVTs area (I live in west Cambs.), but put my penny worth in anyway in pursuit of our general cause! Hopefully, others in CAMpRA more local would be better placed to give you more information. Steve.
AndyBeck

Post by AndyBeck »

Me too. Can't post the screenshot on this clunky forum but i had a positive reply saying they'd had a lot of interest from camper owners and are looking into the matter
Steve

Post by Steve »

Andy best to copy and paste the reply but you can add the image as an attachment.
Details in “how to use the forum “
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=172
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Steve

Post by Steve »

Reply from email sent.by Mike Stewart

.Thank you for your question on Looe Valley Trails. Please read our response below.
We are motor homers and cyclists. We love visiting different areas of the country but prefer to wild camp. There is a huge change of mind in Scotland, investing in overnight stops for us. We have a large pot of money to spend but get 'driven' away by restrictions. You have a large car park by the river where you could charge £5 for an overnight stop after all it is mostly unused at night. Tintagel has woken up to the income from people who do not want to stay on a campsite. I live in Taunton but because it is difficult in Cornwall I go to Scotland
....................................................................................................................................
Thank you for your question. We have had a lot of questions about providing motorhome or campervan provision. We will look into it and see what we can do - watch this space
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

We responded to the survey and received this response

Thank you for your question on Looe Valley Trails. Please read our response below.
Would LOVE to use many of the cycle trails BUT, where do you allow me to PARK my vehicle is an 8m motorhome, IF you had more aire type parking then as a DISABLED driver I could access the trails far easier than the camping sites you promote, that DO NOT meet my needs

Thank you for your question. We have had a lot of questions about providing motorhome or campervan provision. Our trails are intended to be fully inclusive to all users and that means accessing them too. We will look into your specific query around motorhome parking in particular and see what we can do - watch this space
Lets hope
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

Here’s the reply I received today to my input to the survey - reasonably positive!:-

“re Looe Valley Trails project
Hi Steve
Thank you very much for your comments and I am very sorry for the delay in responding to you. We have had a lot of questions about providing motorhome or campervan provision. Our trails are intended to be fully inclusive to all users and that means accessing them too. We will look into your specific query around motorhome parking in particular and see what we can do.
Kind regards
Trisha Hewitt
--
Trisha Hewitt
Director
Trisha Hewitt Communications
trisha@trishahewitt.com
07946654121 “
Steve

Post by Steve »

Steve, maybe a quick thank you and an offer to assist with information if required or a meeting to discuss
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

Thanks, Steve - yes, already done & have received another reply!:-

“Re: Looe Valley Trails project
Thanks so much Steve

I have forwarded your offer to the design team so they can be in touch if they need any further information.

We have set up a Looe Valley Trails section of the Let’s Talk platform https://letstalk.cornwall.gov.uk/looe-valley-trails. . This will provide information and updates about the project as it progresses. We are also producing a regular newsletter about the project, with the first edition due to be published in the next two weeks. This will be published on the Let’s Talk platform but you will also be able to subscribe to receive a copy direct to your inbox.

kind regards

Trisha

On 13/03/2021 11:28, stephenbirnie@aol.com wrote:
Hi Trisha,

Thanks so much for your acknowledgement.

I and CAMpRA look forward to further news and if there's any aspects of parking for motor caravans that we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask!

Best regards,

Steve “