Bristol/Bath
Dorset
Somerset
Cornwall and Scilly Isles
Devon
Edgie

Cornwall Council Proposals

Post by Edgie »

I think Cornwall Council have recognised that their current stance on motorhome parking is not going to work. Cornwall Council are actively looking at proposals for welcoming motorhomes & campervans, the same as other forward thinking councils are doing. The more people that write to Cornwall Council with proposals for motorhome parking and facilities, and evidence of other council efforts to accomodate motorhomes, the easier it will be for them to act positively.

Please send your proposals/thoughts to all 3 influencial people.

Please keep it positive 👍

Council leader :
julian.german@cornwallcouncillors.org.uk

Strategic Parking Manager:
Craig.Taylor@cornwall.gov.uk

Senior Licence Compliance Officer:
graham.bailey@cornwall.gov.uk
PeteD

Re: Cornwall Council Proposals

Post by PeteD »

I wrote to the above three mentioned persons attaching strategy and survey documents and received a reply from Craig Taylor as follows:

Thank you for your email.

We are currently investigating whether it may be possible to enable overnight motorhome parking in certain Council operated car parks, and / or Environment Service operated assets in Cornwall.
We have received a number of similar enquiries recently, and officers working within both the Parking and Environment Services of the Council are considering whether arrangements could be made to facilitate motorhomes at particular locations in future (subject to appropriate consultation).

We have been provided with some very useful examples of similar facilities that are available within other Local Authority areas (as well as in Europe), and these will be included within the report for consideration.

Any future decision to enable campervans to park at Cornwall Council operated assets will be communicated through our usual media channels, as well as our website.
Yours sincerely
Dhywgh hwi yn hwir

Kind regards
Craig Taylor
Strategic Parking Manager
Transport and Infrastructure
Economic Growth and Development
Cornwall Council

Looks hopeful

Pete D

Here is what I said to them:

I write to you as a regular visitor to West Penwith and a former resident in the area.

I own a motorhome and I am a member of several national motorhome groups one of which is CamPra, (https://campra.org.uk/) which has over 16,000 members and actively promotes improved touring facilities for motorhomes.

You may not be aware that there are over 380,000 motorhome owners in the UK and this figure is growing fast. There are many times this figure in Europe many of whom are disinclined to visit the UK because of the lack of comparable Continental facilities. The pandemic which started in 2020 has resulted in an increase in staycations and this has highlighted the shortcomings in the provision of facilities for these nomadic owners. The increase in staycations under the influence of the pandemic and Brexit is set to continue in 2021 and beyond. Scotland was a particular area favoured by motorhome owners in 2020 and their numbers caused all sorts of difficulties because of the lack of suitable facilities. However, instead of banning these touring vehicles, the Scottish Government has realised the value of the tourist pound and is actively promoting and funding the setting up of dedicated facilities for motorhome owners.

I suggest the council considers likewise and provides dedicated parking slots of up to 8 meters in length for motorhomes to stay for up to 48 hours in the car parks the council is responsible for. Without dedicated slots it is difficult for larger outfits to park. Surveys indicate motorhome owners staying overnight spend an average of £47 to £60 per day in shops and restaurants when visiting and their presence can be a deterrent to criminals. Of particular interest to me would be the ability to park and stay overnight in the large Harbour Car Park in Penzance.

With this suggestion, I am attaching two documents for further information.

It is worth noting, there are many success stories already around the country:

• Craven District Council have trialled with 2 car parks and have just extended to 3.
• Canterbury Council have a well established facility at one of their park and ride sites and are planning a further one.
• Hawick Council are having great success with their scheme.
• East Devon are establishing a dedicated parking area for motorhomes in Exmouth

There are many more and many in the process of being setting up.

I hope this suggestion will be considered by the relevant committee.

Kind regards

Attachments:
Motorcaravan Strategy Nov 2020
CamPra Survey Results 2020
pauls59@yahoo.co.uk

Post by pauls59@yahoo.co.uk »

This seems to be Cornwall Councils 'Standard' response to Motorhome facility enquiries.
I enclose the details of my original email to them on 11th March 2021.

Subject ; Welcoming Motorhomes and Campervans on 2021.

Good morning .

Summer of 2020 saw the great UK Staycation due to Covid, Summer 2021 looks like it will be no different.

A big stumbling block for most Touring Motorhome and Campervan owners, is Registered Caravan sites, require Pre-booking, set number of nights stay, and already we are hearing that they are nearly booked out for after when our PM, Boris Johnson gives the green light to lockdown being lifted in England.

Sadly, we do not have enough Aires across the UK, with similar facilities to their European Counterparts. - either basic Motorhome Service Points, providing emptying of waste Grey water (taps & shower) & Chemical toilet units. or enhanced locations, with these facilities near a town or village that would also allow for 48hr sleep over in a safe location, allowing the occupants to visit and spend their money in the local economy, - which will be beneficial after Covid , ( see CAMpRA survey attached).

We are hearing of Council's across the country putting up 'physical ' barriers to Motorhome / Campervans using their car parks and public road laybys. (This may also be as a precaution from other populace setting up permanent residence on Council property, and is understandable). Most Motorhome / Campervan owners are responsible people, and could actually be 'unpaid Council Anti-social behaviour preventionists. Motorhomes are self-contained units designed for human habitation - cooking, eating and sleeping.(see attachment below). There is no UK law preventing a person from sleeping overnight in a motor vehicle. (HGV drivers do it in public road laybys and are not complained about,) so why should Motorhome home or camper van owners be treated differently, they pay their road tax and insurance also.)

A brick wall put up by Council's is their fear of being accused or running an unofficial caravan site in their car parks, by the caravan site owners. The definition of 'camping' is use of tents, seating and BBQ in an open space. IT would therefore be very easy for councils to state overnight Sleeping is allowed in their car parks between 2000 - 0800, BUT no camping activity is allowed.

Some car parks might have a toilet block on site. Providing an Elsan Chemical Toilet disposal point on the outside, connected into the toilet block system, would provide the basic MSP facilities needed. Also the toilet block would have pipes from the roof into ground drains, if there is a grate, this could act as the grey waste water disposal point.

Scottish Highland Council have taken the 'Bull by the Horn' and started to work with communities to provide the welcoming facilities Motorhome and Campervan owners are looking for whilst touring around the countryside. (in some areas where the local toilet block in a village car park may fall into disrepair, The local Community have been able to avail of an 'Article of treaty ' and take over ownership of the toilet, from the Council, install an Elsan chemical toilet point, charge a fee, which goes towards the upkeep of the toilet block.)

Please take your time to check out this small example of documents from CAMpRA , of which I am one of 16.5k members, and our website at http://www.campra.org.uk . Our Leadership Team is ready to work with you, to provide additional services required by Motorhome and camper van owners who do not wish to be stuck in registered caravan sites, away from towns and villages.

Yours Sincerely

Mr Paul Simpson

(My address was added, to indicate where I was emailing from).
P Simpson
Sian

Post by Sian »

Hi - I’ve sent a specific request to parking@cornwall.gov.uk as I hadn’t seen these specific contacts. If parking come back to me I’ll respond to these other contacts as well.

My specific request is regarding Trebarwith Strand, it’s a quiet beautiful location whenever we visit in or out of season. Fantastic beach with pub and cafe that are normally open all year round but with little trade as it’s a very specific destination. We have NEVER found the car park busy - you are allowed to park overnight but not to sleep.

We always stop off there for the day on our way home from further south, and it would be great to be able to sleep there too.

I’m hoping that by giving a specific example of a car park that supports such an area, that it may trigger thought regarding those places that are not over run with tourists

My email:
One of our favourite places in Cornwall is Trebarwith Strand out of season - amazing beach, great pub and cafe.
We always stop there for the day when on our way home - and would love to be able to stay locally.
I know that we can currently pay to stay for 24 hours - but we are not allowed to sleep in the vehicle.
Wouldn’t the carpark be a perfect place for a small area to allow a handful of motorhomes to stay out of season? It’s never been busy whenever we have visited, neither have the pub or cafe been busy - but we have only visited outside of summer school holidays.
We are not asking to stay for free, or for any facilities to be added, and you can limit the length of stay, the days of the week, or times of year. And there is no need for ‘camping’ behaviour as is it just the ability to park up and sleep.
It wouldn’t take business away from local campsites (as there aren’t any) - we would just extend our stay and spend ££ with the local pub & cafe before heading on home.
Last time we were there we took part in a beach clean, and I’m sure that having a van in the carpark overnight would be a deterrent for ‘undesirable’ behaviour by others?
Last autumn we stayed on a council car park in Dorset (New Ground Car Park at Portland) - half a dozen vans paying £10 a night. It was a trial and I hope it is to be extended - as it seemed to work well.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts
Kind regards
Sian

Post by Sian »

I’ve just had the following reply this morning:

Dear Sian,

The Council’s Informal Portfolio Holders Briefing was held yesterday, and the report is not a public document.

The reason that free car parks have been considered in the first instance is due to the fact that the Council’s Off-Street Parking Place Order would need to be changed to enable vehicles to park in any charging car parks overnight. This change would require a statutory consultation to occur, which would not be possible before the start of the Summer.

It is therefore intended to discuss a smaller trial for this summer with Local Members, prior to a longer term solution potentially being investigated before the start of next summer.

Please be aware that Trebarwith Strand car park currently has an overnight campervan ban on it, and so any future ability to park campervans on the car park would be subject to a statutory consultation occurring, which may not receive support from people who have asked for the campervan ban to be implemented in the past.

Kind regards
Craig Taylor
Strategic Parking Manager
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sian, may be worth suggesting that in order to manage the anticipated staycation boom many councils are taking the decision to implement a non enforcement policy for selected locations and in fact installing temporary waste disposal points.
As a temporary measure for this season which allows them time to access the situation and acts as a trial.
https://campra.org.uk/download/cost-gui ... al-points/
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Sian

Post by Sian »

Hi Steve - please excuse my ignorance but what is a ‘non enforcement policy’, and are there examples I can name?

The temporary waste sheet is great though
Steve

Post by Steve »

The decide not to enforce the overnight parking ban so do not issue penalty tickets.
The government recommended councils to ease up on enforcement for campsites staying open longer during the pandemic.
Cheif planning officer in Scotland has recommended this :
Phileas Fogg

Post by Phileas Fogg »

As an update to my post on the Cornwall Radio thread I am now in discussion with CC on this subject and offered to advise them on the way forward. No further decisions will be made or meetings until after the elections but hopeful after that we may see some movement. At least the conversations are now constructive.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Well done , if you require any support just let us know?
They were at the recent meeting with BPA so we are gradually getting through to councils.
Are you in the South West Campaign group?