Bristol/Bath
Dorset
Somerset
Cornwall and Scilly Isles
Devon
Steve

Letter to Devon Live

Post by Steve »

Good morning Lee, we are concerned about the missleading statements from Malcolm Bell Visit Cornwall and Visit Devon.
It is blatantly obvious from Mr Bells comments that he does not understand the touring motorcaravan tourism sector.
A recent survey of nearly 9,000 responses indicated that 96% of UK owners would pay for overnight parking (Aire) an average £10 night but depends on location, this is for a parking space not a campsite pitch with no external equipment.
82% travel all year round not just in the short summer season and if they can park within walking or easy commuting distance to a town spend an average £47 per day in shops, pubs and restaurants (excluding retail). This money goes to local businesses who are desperately fighting to survive.
These Aires are short stay overnight stop overs max 48 hours and common all over Europe.
We realise that Mt Brown needs to represent his members bur evidence sows that Aires do not effect campsites which are designed to set up camp and stay longer touring in your car.
In France there are over 2,600 campsites who allow and encourage short stay touring motorcaravans with an Aire or access to waste points, something that our UK sites have yet to embrace.
I would suggest a quick look at our short presentation of our survey results will be an eye opener to the revenue stream being denied to by Devon and Cornwalls small businesses by the councils refusal to embrace this rapidly expanding 386,000 + market sector.

Sent to lee.trewhela@reachplc.com
With survey presentation and Do Aires take business from Campsites
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Steve

Re: Letter to Devon Live

Post by Steve »

Instant reply
I was going to do a follow-up story about this as have been contacted by others, so thanks for this Steve.

Lee Trewhela
Chief Reporter
Cornwall Live
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
donaldmacdonald

Post by donaldmacdonald »

I've submitted an FOI for evidence to back up his (Malcolm Bell) statement.
Roy
Site Admin

Post by Roy »

The Cornwall Post is on the same subject.

Carolyn is doing another interview for Spotlight.

Yours Roy
Yours Roy
Chair
CAMpRA UK Ltd
Not For Profit
Campaign for Real Aires UK
www.campra.org.uk
www.campra.org.uk/forum/
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Just to add to the general noise I have sent this as a personal email without mention of CAMpRA...
(copied to Devon Live)

Dear Mr Bell

I refer to your recent comments to Devon Live on this subject.

I am a retired architect, my main pastimes are walking and travelling by motorcaravan. With damaged hips, knees, and spine, and the consequences of cancer it is becoming less of the former and more of the latter. There are a lot of elderly motorcaravanners with similar stories.

Whilst I can still drive safely, chronic pain and fatigue mean I can only travel anywhere in short hops of an hour or so. Because of this my motorcaravan is the only viable means of transport left to me to continue to pursue my considerable appetite for travel.

Despite my appreciation of the coastal and moorland landscapes of the south west I have frankly no interest in visiting Cornwall or Devon in summertime, it is simply too busy for my tastes. I live in the Peak District National Park and thus have understanding and empathy for residents in areas suffering over-tourism.

On the other hand I have frequented the South West in winter when all is much quieter. As a shareholder of a community pub in a holiday area I am sure it is a time of year when any additional tourist revenue would be welcome.

As my vehicle is fully self contained I have tended to stop overnight in otherwise deserted car-parks or lay-bys, with occasional stops in campsites for necessary water and disposal services in the absence of any other provision.

Two thirds of my income is spent during my travels. I don’t mind at all paying a reasonable charge to park overnight, but I resent the expectation that I should be coerced to use campsites and pay for a level of space and facilities that I simply do not need. I would rather spend my money in pubs, restaurants and shops which provide something I do want to pay for. Nobody would consider it acceptable to coerce clients of B&Bs to stay in 4 star hotels.

I am aware much of your funding comes from existing hospitality businesses; you may think you are supporting campsite businesses, but the unintended consequence is that you do so at the expense of other businesses.

If the total all-year banning of motorcaravans from overnighting in carparks continues, it will not drive me to make more use of the few campsites that remain open, albeit largely empty. It simply means I will be no longer coming to Devon and Cornwall at any time and thus depriving all types of businesses of my winter spending; nor will I be picking up any more litter in your carparks. I will continue instead to go to Europe where I am more welcome and where suitable facilities are provided for motorcaravans; or to visit the canny Scots who are increasingly realising the benefits of motorcaravan tourism and also providing facilities and making us more welcome. If your restrictive policies were to take more account of seasonal variations this could be otherwise.

Regards
Ian Lones
Architect
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

And one reply ...

Subject: Re: Motorcaravans in Cornwall and Devon

Thanks, Ian. I have actually written a follow-up as I've been contacted by quite a few people as you can probably imagine. If I get the chance, I'll add your comments to it.

Lee Trewhela
Chief Reporter
Cornwall Live
Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

They are holding off on interviewing someone from CAMpRA/me as they think this will run and run. Might get chance to have a haircut before they come back to me! (And hopefully I'll be able to say "I told you so"!)