Roy
Site Admin

Pembrokeshire County Council

Post by Roy »

Sent: 01 July 2021 16:34
To: 'enquiries@pembrokeshire.gov.uk' <enquiries@pembrokeshire.gov.uk>
Subject: Overnight Parking for Self-Contained Motorcaravans

Hi,
During June we were touring South Wales in our self-contained Motorhome staying in an assortment of Campsites and Car Parks.

When we reached Pembrokeshire, all the car parks had banned overnight parking, so what did we do?

1. Booked into a campsite?
2. Left Pembrokeshire?

Correct – 2 – we left Pembrokeshire, returning to Carmarthenshire. The first night back, we ate in a local pub and spent £55. We also bought shopping in a local ‘corner shop’.

If Pembrokeshire allowed overnight parking, we would have spent that money in your local businesses.

There are 389,393 registered Motorcaravans (DVLA Dec 2020), who according to a CAMpRA UK Ltd survey spend an average of £47 per night in the local community where they stay overnight, and tour on average 63 days per year, all year round.

https://campra.org.uk/download/campra-m ... rvey-2020/

This spending equates to approximately £1 Billion spent in the UK economy every year.

Why don’t you want any on this money spent in Pembrokeshire?

For more information contact CAMpRA UK Ltd - https://campra.org.uk/

Yours Roy
Yours Roy
Chair
CAMpRA UK Ltd
Not For Profit
Campaign for Real Aires UK
www.campra.org.uk
www.campra.org.uk/forum/
arthur49

Re: Pembrokeshire County Council

Post by arthur49 »

Yet another council taking the simple unthinking way out of an issue. Every time I see this sort of announcement from a public body I'm going to message them. And, with respect, I think we should all bombard them with similar messages?

https://www.facebook.com/PembrokeshireC ... 4516535505

This is my message on their FB page

"This type of post by a CC is extremely disappointing. I'm a 70+ Scot living in Perth. We are looking to tour south of the border in our campervan October onwards. We have an open mind and Pembrokeshire is somewhere we've never been!
So if we include Pembrokeshire we're expected to be corralled onto a (overpriced) campsite which provides facilities we don't need.
No thanks, we'll give your region a miss.
We are not campsites' market. Happy to visit when and if it dawns on planners and decision makers, that motorhomes have different needs to caravans and unless and until that is recognised our money is going where we're welcome and facilities reasonably match our needs. Why should we visit Pembrokeshire when we can hop across the Channel to France, Belgium and Germany, where we are welcomed and facilities are provided for a modest cost (often free/gratuit/kostenlos/vrij) ?
Whilst I am a long way from you I'm happy to chat about this if you direct message me and I'll give you my mobile number. I genuinely wish the UK tourism economy well but not when we are unwelcome. Thank you for listening."
GWYNTAXI O

Post by GWYNTAXI O »

A good response and well put and written.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Heartfelt but whats in it for Pembrokeshire?
One campervan owner who is not going to visit, will that change the mind of the council?

They need see see the real financial benefits hence our new briefing document .
Briefing document.pdf
(352.93 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Catwg

Post by Catwg »

Not all car parks in Pembrokeshire are Council controlled. Many are run by Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority (especially, obviously, ones in coastal locations); others are on National Trust land; some are privately owned and run. Before you castigate the Council, it might be an idea to investigate a little further. I suspect that the ones people wish to use are, by and large, not Council car parks?
Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

Catwg wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:34 am Not all car parks in Pembrokeshire are Council controlled. Many are run by Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority (especially, obviously, ones in coastal locations); others are on National Trust land; some are privately owned and run. Before you castigate the Council, it might be an idea to investigate a little further. I suspect that the ones people wish to use are, by and large, not Council car parks?
Whilst I agree that there are many non council owned car parks in Pembrokeshire, all of them who are members of the British Parking Association are targeted by them to contact us with regard to setting up aires. Unfortunately, at a meeting of over 100 car park managers, only two were anti motorhome - Pembrokeshire and York. The chap from Pembrokeshire could/would not see the difference between caravans and motorcaravans and simply closed his ears to comments that campsites are closed in winter. Fortunately, York are beginning to change their minds, with an aire opening up shortly at the Auction Mart.