Zip World

Regions in Wales
Europa

Zip World

Post by Europa »

https://www.zipworld.co.uk/blog/zip-wor ... -adventure

A new ZipWorld experience is being developed in South Wales on the site of the old Tower Colliery. Work is already in progress, and depending on lockdown restrictions could be open in 2021. The area where it is feing built is almost devoid of any overnight facilities for Motorhomes or caravans, with just one fully serviced site at Dare Valley Country Park.

Dare Valley country Park is itself under development with the caravan park recently having been improved. This park hosts a variety of events and the carsvan site is often fully booked .

http://www.darevalleycountrypark.co.uk/index.php/en/
Steve

Re: Zip World

Post by Steve »

I did email then when the article about the tunnel was in the media but no reply so please feel free to try, they have several sites jotted around.
I sent sports clubs letter and strategy document
Good, morning I have seen you proposed new development in Rhonda and wanted to make you aware of our group and how you may be able to incorporate this largely untapped revenue stream into your development and existing sites by simply utilising your car park or hardstanding area overnight by providing overnight parking for self contained motorcaravans (Aires) these are common all over mainland Europe but the UK is yet to wake up to this this revenue stream worth a potential £850 million per year from our 357,000 UK motorcaravans.
I have attached 2 documents that explain more but please feel free to get in touch to discuss further
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Europa

Post by Europa »

Will do. Just one point though. Zip World and the Tunnel project are 2 entirely different ventures. Zip World is a commercial outfit whilst the Tunnel society are a voluntary group supported by various bodies including NRW. They are both in the same Local Authority which has very limited facilities for overnight stays as well as caravan and camping sites, but a rapidly growing tourist sector.

I have recently made contact with a Member of the Welsh Government who covers this geographical area ( on an entirely different matter) so I will try and discuss this with him too .
Europa

Post by Europa »

Please see below a response I have received from the Conservative member of the Senedd for South Wales ., My email to him is below that. I will now look through the CAMpRA resources before I reply to him with some suggestions. ( the first line of his response refers to another email conversation we have been having about the Covid vaccine situation in Wales.)

Thank you for this Bethan. I've double checked and the response I sent you was supposed to be sent to another constituent, so I'm sorry for any confusion.

That said it seems to be a lucky mistake since it's given us the opportunity to discuss this. I am more than happy to offer my support to CAMpRA, and will do all I can to encourage people to visit the area.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

All the best,

Andrew

There are growing number of Tourist ventures being developed in the South Wales area, namely Zip World, The Rhondda Tunnels, and now Cyfarthfa Castle to name just a few. What is seriously lacking in the area however are overnight facilities for campervans and Motorhomes based on the French model of Aires, of which there is a vast network across that country and other mainland European countries.

Once lockdown restrictions are lifted and with the new Brexit rules applying to travellers from the UK such as travelling with pets, it is anticipated that there will be an explosion of motorhome owners and others looking for overnight and camping facilities. Unlike touring caravans, many Motorhome owners prefer simple overnight facilities providing the essential requirements of waste and water.

Within RCT in particular there are only a handful of caravan and campjng sites, the main one being at Aberdare Country Park. The others are quite small and facilities available throughout the year are very limited. Tourism however is becoming an all year activity with Mountain biking, road cycling and walking, for instance being very popular in the area.

The campaign that has been launched is called CAMpRA, and it is already working with a number of regions across the UK to develop Aire facilities. We have a website and a Facebook presence, and within both you will find a wealth of documentation and other information to support the movement and describe the concept in detail

It would be very helpful if you could find the time to take a quick look and get back to me regarding how you could see our support helping tourism in South Wales at this critical time for our economy.

I should add that we are motorhome owners ourselves and find the lack of Aire type facilities within Wales very frustrating.

https://campra.org.uk/
Steve

Post by Steve »

Well done that’s great, let him know that CAMpRA are advising Snowdonia 360 on Aires to support their route
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Europa

Post by Europa »

I have sent a message via the ZipWorld website directly today and had a reply that someone will get back to me within 48 hours. A small step forward. If no joy I may well phone them.
Europa

Post by Europa »

Just had a reply from ZipWorld main office with an email address for the site manager in South Wales. Progress made. Now need to decide what to send him in first instance.

I have also asked if my email could be forwarded to their other North Wales sites, or other contacts given.

David.thomas@zipworld.co.uk
Europa

Re: Zip World North Wales

Post by Europa »

I have received a second reply from ZipWorld suggesting an email to their marketing department

Marketing@zipworld.co.uk

I will contact them re South Wales, but it would be good if a North Wales member could also email re their other sites.
Europa

Post by Europa »

I have emailed the Site manager at Zip World South Wales and will update if and when I get a reply
Europa

Post by Europa »

ZipWorld have now published details of their South Wales site opening in a few weeks, so I have contacted them again, as no response to date. If no reply this time I will look for another way to contact them