Email to Chair of highland Council Tourism Committee, and his response.

Regions In Scotland
pauls59@yahoo.co.uk

Email to Chair of highland Council Tourism Committee, and his response.

Post by pauls59@yahoo.co.uk »

To: Gordon Adam - Member <Gordon.Adam.cllr@highland.gov.uk>
Subject: Highland Council and Tourism

Cllr Adam

Over the past year, it has been noticeable how Highland Council have moved on the tourism trade within the area, trying to ensure the proper facilities are in place, before Staycation 2021, especially after Staycation 2020.
As a new motorhome owner, residing in Northern Ireland, I am appreciative of these actions, as my wife and I love to visit Scotland. However, I am also concerned. On the one hand we see Highland Council handing out monies in the RTIF allocations, and then we also read that some of this money will be spent on Wardens to enforce the 'NO Overnight Sleeping, between 8pm -8am' at Bayfield Car park, Portree, Isle of Skye.'.

This news has been very badly received within the ' Touring motorhome fraternity', who were hoping they could use the Councils car parks as overnight sleeping locations, as they tour around the Highlands of Scotland. ( Motorhome's act as Anti-social behaviour deterrents whilst parked overnight in car parks, and also generate extra income for the council's, as owners of such. Many owners have posted on FB groups that they will now give the Isle of Skye, a complete by ball and move on somewhere else. ( lose of money to that community).
They do not require the need to pre book into caravan sites for up to 4 days. They are self sufficient, only requiring somewhere to empty their waste water/ Chemical toilet every 4 days, and fill up with fresh water.

Work with us, not against us. I know your council has been working with CAMpRA on maters motorhome related. Continue to wok with us, provide required services and we will spend our monies in your Highland communities.

Yours Sincerely

Mr Paul Simpson

Reply;

Thank you for your email Paul. You raise an interesting point, and I have copied in Shane Manning, the Council’s parking guru to provide an authoritative answer. My understanding is that Council car parks are generally not overnight parks for a number of reasons related to local residents, but there is a question about whether it is practical that this rule should be relaxed during peak summer months.

What I can say is that the Highland Council is doing its best to encourage communities and and individuals to set up small scale stopping off places – “aires” – for campervans and already there has been a lot of interest in this. Both the Council and the Scottish government are relaxing planning and other regulation so this can be done as simply and as quickly as possible. We are also providing funds to established campsites to encourage them to allow passing campervans to use their facilities to dispose of waste.

I hope we can welcome you to Scotland this summer for a restful and enjoyable holiday in your campervan!

Best wishes,

Gordon

Cllr Gordon Adam, Black Isle

Chair, Tourism Cttee

Chair, Black Isle, Dingwall and Seaforth Area Cttee

Highland Council

My Follow-up , today Monday 29th.

Cllr Adam

Thank you for your response, yesterday.

I had mentioned that I was aware the Council were working with CAMpRA. As one of the group's 17.5k members, I have been encouraged over the last year at the positivity the group has had from council's across the UK.

At this point, I would like to draw your attention to our website, www.campra.org.uk and a recent update within the past week. On our website home page, there is a paragraph,
' MPs, Councillors or Business Owners. "If you are an MP, Councillor, local authority, parish council, sports club or anyone else who may be able to provide Motorcaravan overnight parking and/or Aire facilities, you will find all the information you need here'.

The word 'here' is a hyperlink to our group's new Business Hub, where we have gathered all our relevant documentation in one easy access point.

Also on the home page, if you click on the three lines, beside the magnifying glass, this will give you access to the group's Leadership Team, Contact Us form.

I am sure our Leadership Team would be interested in hearing about any 'relaxation' of planning and other regulations, as an third party.

Yours Sincerely

Mr Paul Simpson
P Simpson
Biggarmac

Re: Email to Chair of highland Council Tourism Committee, and his response.

Post by Biggarmac »

The relaxation information from the Scottish Government is here.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/chief ... arch-2021/

I am in touch with the tourism officer for Highland Council and will update the forum when I receive the guidance from Highland Council.
Meg
Steve

Planning report - Scotland

Post by Steve »

Important section:
Relaxing planning control
We wrote several times during 2020 giving our encouragement for a relaxation of planning control, particularly through choosing not to take enforcement action, in a range of circumstances that could help businesses and services to diversify and continue to operate within our communities during the pandemic. In our December 2020 letter we brought all of that together and restated our general support for planning authorities to exercise their discretion and allow for temporary breaches of planning control that are reasonable in the current difficult circumstances. We know this approach has been welcomed and planning authorities’ understanding has been very much appreciated.
There could be some further circumstances in which this relaxation in planning can help as we emerge from current restrictions while moving into springtime, as people become able to move around more freely and as businesses and services look to re-start and re-gain some lost ground. As one example, we are aware that some authorities have been exploring scope for the temporary use of car parks or other appropriate locations for overnight stops in campervans and motorhomes if that is safe and reasonable, to address some anticipated pressures during the coming season.
Full report:
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team