Toward Sailing Club.

Regions In Scotland
VWann

Toward Sailing Club.

Post by VWann »

Toward Sailing Club on the Cowal Peninsular are to discuss providing facilities for campervans/motorhomes at their next zoom meeting. Fingers crossed that it has a positive outcome for us.
Steve

Re: Toward Sailing Club.

Post by Steve »

Have we offered to assist with advice if required?
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
VWann

Post by VWann »

Hello
Below is the response from Toward Sailing Club. In it they give their reasons for not going ahead with the idea of providing an Aire. On the plus side however they are willing to allow a campervan/motorhome to pull in overnight. They would appreciate a donation and have supplied a text number to do this. I have written to thank them for their response.

I made a mistake when originally posting on the forum. Toward is in Argyll & Bute so the post should show in Central Scotland. My apologies.

I have emailed the Easter Staycation leaflet to Argyll & Bute Council. I have lobbied Argyll & Bute Council on several occasions about providing Aires, so far to no avail. There is a large carpark at Inveraray that would make an suitable place for an Aire. From there you could could explore Loch Fyne and it lends itself to onward journeys to Oban and Campbeltown. I will keep chipping away.

With very best wishes to all.
Ann Gillies
Hunters Quay, Dunoon.

Hi Ann,

I have to inform you that at their latest meeting the board decided that Toward Sailing Club, TSC would not actively support providing facilities for campers or motorhomes at TSC.

The main reasons being:

It would affect the charitable status of TSC
Planning Permission and site licence
Waste, there are no waste facilities at the club, to remove rubbish at the business rate would be in excess of £2,500 per annum
Cost of setting up electricity and water facilities
Extra insurance costs

That said TSC would not refuse a single isolated overnight stay by a camper or motorhome, if a person did so they would be encouraged to make a donation by means of a text to 70470.

Best wishes,

Martin Anstess
Commodore
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Ann, they seem a little confused on what is an Aire?
1) It will not effect their charitable status as they can accept donations for parking but our bowls club is managed by a charity and we pay membership and fees to bowl so charities can raise funds.
2)They can apply for a MCC exemption certificate for 5 vans £25 per year admin charge.
3) not sure if a charity would pay business rates for rubbish but as motorcaravans are self contained they can take there rubbish away, a sign to nearest recycling point would suffice
4) no requirement for ehu.
5) water and waste is optional but I would have thought that a sailing club had an outside tap, a waste unit is £322 + vat but a charity will not pay vat. Easy to install if they have a sewer pipe.
6) Insurance is only public liability and is normally covered by their policy especially for a sailing club.

Normal rates parking only £5
With Water tap and waste point £10

You may want to reply and thank then for their kind offer but just need to clarify some points for them in case they reconsider at a later date ?
VWann

Post by VWann »

Thank you for your reply Steve. I have forwarded your reply on to Toward Sailing Club. I have thanked them for taking the time and trouble to consider an Aire and for their offer of parking. It is a place that we would use just to escape for an evening when the weather is good it is such a beautiful area just few miles from our home.
VWann

Post by VWann »

Hello Steve

Below is Toward Sailing Club's response to the information that you supplied. I don't think that we can go any further with this. What happened at Ardentinny was disgusting - a very similar story that which was reported in a lot of places in Scotland. There was a lot of waste, rubbish, grey and black left.

Kind regards
Ann Gillies

Thank you Ann,

I appreciate they are wishing to promote Aires. Prior to the Board meeting I sent out information provided by CAMpRA to the members for them as a pre read to the meeting. This information was discussed at length by the Board prior to them making their decision.

Yes, we definitely would pay business rate on rubbish, last enquiry (several years ago) it was around £2,500 per annum.
I appreciate what they say about asking people to take their rubbish way, and I’m sure the majority would, though we don’t want to end up like Ardentinny did last summer. https://ardentinny.org/2020/08/11/arden ... -clean-up/
My neighbour is still fuming from the person(s) in a motorhome that parked overnight outside our houses and emptied all their rubbish into the neighbours recycling bin and therefore the load was rejected. I know it’s one bad apple.

I note they don’t offer any advice re Planning Permission. I would certainly expect objections from the neighbouring properties.

As the Board stated, they won’t refuse an isolated overnight stay, but the club is not in a financial position (certainly at the moment) to spend such monies on such facilities.

Best wishes
Martin
Steve

Post by Steve »

You did your best Ann, the minority who cause the problems will still be doing the same again this year but its a battle to convince some that providing facilities will reduce the problem by doing nothing the problems will return.
There are still many places that are receptive and have no problems so we jusy have to keep trying new places.