Argyll & Bute Council Motorhome (and Informal Camping) Questionnaire

Regions In Scotland
LizM

Argyll & Bute Council Motorhome (and Informal Camping) Questionnaire

Post by LizM »

Argyll and Bute have issued a questionnaire:
Informal camping has experienced greater interest over the past year and while the vast majority of visitors respect the places they visit, there have been some challenges in managing some visitor behaviours and to address issues relating to motorhome use and informal camping. Argyll & Bute Council have issued a questionnaire to gain local community and business feedback. Please see the link below to contribute your views on this subject:

https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/motorhom ... ing-survey
Biggarmac

Re: Argyll & Bute Council Motorhome (and Informal Camping) Questionnaire

Post by Biggarmac »

This consultation is to find companies, clubs etc. who are willing to make provision for Motorcaravans to stay. It is aimed at local people, not at the visitors. This council are looking for ways to accommodate motorhomes in ways that does not adversely impact local communities. The council are trying to make better provision for this summer.
LizM

Post by LizM »

Argyll & Bute Council are incredibly positive and don't need convincing of the need for increased provision for the motorhomes or the potential benefits of increasing provision: https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/motorhom ... Iii79TFRH0

What they need is to get in touch with CAMpRA!

I have sent an email to the address provided on the council website: visitormanagement@argyll-bute.gov.uk

Here is my email: I work for the Abernethy Trust as the Site Supervisor at Abernethy Ardeonaig, by Killin. Pre Covid, the Abernethy Trust owned 5 sites across Scotland providing residential outdoor experiences for school children, families, individuals and groups. One of our sites is a bunk house by Dunoon, and because of the location of our two sites we receive email communications from the Loch Lomond& Trossachs National Park Business Support.

The latest email contained information about the Argyll & Bute Council - Motorhome and Informal Camping Survey

I was going to complete the survey as our property at Dunoon is in Argyll & Bute (PA33 8RD), but actually we are about to sell it due to Covid. And so I thought it was more appropriate to email my comments.

It is very encouraging to see that Argyll and Bute welcomes tourists and is looking for ways to improve provision in your area. It looks like you are fully aware of both the need to provide more facilities and the benefits of doing so. I have received much helpful information from CAMpRA (Campaign for Real Aires UK) and I would recommend that you get in touch with their team. Their leadership team have been advising many councils and businesses across the UK, and they could definitely help you. CAMpRA was founded by a motor-homer in July 2020 and membership has grown to almost 16,000 members. CAMpRA is on board with the Motor Caravanners’ Club for small sites and Camping-Car Parks, the leading French operator, which is expanding into the UK this year, looking for larger sites. Their sites have capacity for 20+ motorhomes and campervans, and provide all the services including EHU (electric hook up), plus barrier entrance security and CCTV. It is paid for with a pre-paid card, and 30 minute visits are also available for use of the services alone.

Our site at Ardeoniag had to close due to Covid and we have had to sell one of the properties on site. We cannot welcome back residential guests for the foreseeable future and in a bid to find alternative sources of income I looked to create overnight parking for campervans (an Aire). Through CAMpRA I found out how to do this, and we will be using our unused carpark to generate income.

I have attached a couple of CAMpRA’s documents.

The contact details for CAMpRA are as follows:

www.CAMpRA.org.uk
CAMpRA Leadership – steve@campra.org.uk

Best Wishes

Liz Munns
Site Supervisor, Abernethy Ardeonaig, FK21 8SY
Campervan owner

Attached: Strategy Document, Camping-Car Parks flier and How to put your farm, business or club back on track
Biggarmac

Post by Biggarmac »

Thanks Liz. I am in touch with Craig the tourism officer at A & B council. The survey was sent out as a response to our discussion to try and find places which could welcome motorcaravans. Meg
LizM

Post by LizM »

That's great news Meg.

Would it be possible for the leadership team to let the rest of us know which councils (Scotland) you are already consulting with please.

Highland Council?
Perth and Kinross Council?
Argyll & Bute Council - yes
etc

And is the leadership team in consultation with any of the National Parks, eg Loch Lomond & Trossachs or Cairngorm?
VWann

Post by VWann »

I live in Argyll & Bute. Over the years I have been emailing and sending letters to them about provision for motorhomes, more recently including sending them documents from CAMpRA. I have completed the survey and have suggested the Glenmorag car park in Dunoon and Inveraray car park as possible sites. I have also written in support of a company in Ellenabeich who offer overnight parking for motorhomes but were refused permission for Aire type facilities. The campsite at Ardfern allows you to dump waste etc for a £5 fee. At last councils seem to be listening. Fingers crossed!
LizM

Post by LizM »

I'm off to A&B tomorrow for work (from Killin). I'm not driving so will have a chance to look out for some good looking carparks!
cookie_camperz

Post by cookie_camperz »

Hi All,

Very interesting to read updates regarding the Argyll and Bute survey.
Myself and my partner run a small campervan conversion business based in Dunoon, and up until the end of 2019 hired out 2 vans also. We are avid campervanners and own vans ourselves, we feel very passionately about the creation of better camping solutions in and around our area.

I have completed the online survey, highlighting possible 'Aires' style facilities at both the Glenmorag car park and also the car park directly within the town, close to the electric charging points. Both suitable and beneficial locations for ease of access to local business/shops/food etc...
I have also written to visitormanagement@argyll-bute.gov.uk in regards to the survey and enclosed supporting documentation from the resources page.
Also hoping to have a catch up meeting this week with another local business owner in regard to the above who is part of the 'Dunoon Presents' group that will be meeting later this week.
On our website I have written a blog post about this, hoping to use our knowledge and small following to help spread the word. If anyone wishes to have a read its on our website (this isn't a plug, just for likeminded people) its, www.cookiecamperz.co.uk

All positive steps in the right direction. Fingers crossed we can make better solutions to benefit both the campervan/motorhome community as well as the local community, especially after such a difficult year for small business's!

Rebecca :)

Cookie Camperz
Dunoon
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thank you Rebbeca, as a campervan business have you considered addind a water and waste point that can support touring motorcaravans ?
We are trying to encourage businesses in the trade to lead the way, you could charge for the facility and also benefit from the free advertising and passing trade that may be interested in your business.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Biggarmac

Post by Biggarmac »

LizM wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:12 am That's great news Meg.

Would it be possible for the leadership team to let the rest of us know which councils (Scotland) you are already consulting with please.

Highland Council?
Perth and Kinross Council?
Argyll & Bute Council - yes
etc

And is the leadership team in consultation with any of the National Parks, eg Loch Lomond & Trossachs or Cairngorm?
Steve is in contact with Loch Lomond National Park. Campa (the group representing motorhome renting companies) have been in touch with Highland council and putting our point of view. We are in contact with some other groups like Community Councils who are looking at providing aires. Any new contacts are always welcome. Meg