East Anglia
Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
SBirnie

Re: West (mostly) E Anglia Activity

Post by SBirnie »

Emails sent today with ESRC & Background Notes to all Norfolk MPs, Norfolk CC & all Norfolk District Councils.
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

Email sent today to Highfield Farm Touring Park near Cambridge attaching CAMpRA letter to campsites.

Contact form sent to Fields End Water Caravan Park, Doddington, Cambs., with text of campsite letter.
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

Emails sent today attaching CAMpRA letter to campsites to:-
- Tall Trees Leisure Park, near Wisbech
- Quiet Waters Caravan Park, Hemingford Grey, Cambs
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

Supportive response received 17/2/21 from my MP, Jonathan Djanogly - relevant email string below (apologies for the dyslexic error in typing our group’s acronym wrongly in first email!):-

Dear Mr Djanogly,

Thank you for your supportive and encouraging reply.

CAMpRA is indeed engaging with local councils all over the UK as well as local businesses and is pleased there have been many positive responses and developments.

One reason for notifying you and your colleague MPs of the campaign is because of potential changes to outdated legislation (ie Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960) that may come to your notice in due course.

Again, many thanks for your time.

Yours sincerely,

Steve Birnie

Sent from my iPad

On 17 Feb 2021, at 15:27, Jonathan Djanogly <jonathan.djanogly.2nd@parliament.uk> wrote:

Dear Mr Birnie

Thank you for contacting me about the Campaign for Real Aires and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding, I am receiving very high levels of correspondence as a result of the pandemic.

Motorhomes are a great way for families to travel around the United Kingdom and Europe without having to deal with the hassle of booking hotels and transport. It is great to see that there is a strong online community of motorhome owners who also want to see improvements to local overnight parking sites.

As the provision of parking is a local issue, it would be best to contact our local councils to ask what more can be done to support such local tourism. It may also be worthwhile to approach local businesses with a proposal to better use any empty space they have for overnight parking. I am sure that many will be very interested in bringing people in and making some additional business.

It is very important to look for new ways to improve travel in the UK and I welcome proposals such as these to help kickstart our local tourism businesses.

Thank you again for contacting me on this issue.

Yours sincerely

Jonathan Djanogly MP
Member of Parliament for the Huntingdon Constituency

Sent: 21 January 2021 11:57
To: DJANOGLY, Jonathan
Subject: Staycation Emergency

32 Winchfield
Great Gransden
Sandy
Bedfordshire
SG19 3AN

Dear Mr Djanogly,

I live in Great Gransden within your constituency.

I am a motorhome owner & member of a rapidly expanding and active group of such owners known as Campaign for Real Aires (CAMPrA).

I attach a CAMPrA document titled Emergency Staycation Recovery Plan, which I am forwarding also to your colleague MPs in Cambridgeshire and to District and Town Councils in the county.

While appreciating there is a great deal on everyone's plate at this time, the better times to which we all look forward will include holiday and tourist activities. Due to pandemic and Brexit issues, these are likely predominantly to be staycations Based on 2020 post-lockdown experiences, motorhome, caravan and camping holidays and activities are very likely to turn into disappointment for many through present facilities becoming overwhelmed. CAMPrA's campaign recommends practical and inexpensive ways to alleviate at least a good part of that disappointment.

I hope you will support CAMPrA's aims and also support where and when necessary actions by local authorities to meet them.

Should you require more information on CAMPrA, please visit campra.org.uk. Alternatively, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards,

Steve Birnie
UK Parliament Disclaimer: this e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail. This e-mail address is not secure, is not encrypted and should not be used for sensitive data.
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

- Huntingdon Boathaven & Caravan Park
- The Willows, Brompton near Huntingdon
- Stroud Hill Park, Pidley between Huntingdon & Chatteris

Contact form sent today with text of CAMpRA letter to campsites to:-
Little Ranch Leisure, Begdale near Wisbech
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

Re Cambridge P&R sites, no response yet from Cambs CC to my 20/1/21 contact form & emails. However, have since received information that the Highways & Transport Committee Lead for the P&R sites is Ian Bates - I’ve sent him today the following email:-

Dear Mr Bates,

Campbell Ross-Bain recommended you as a contact for me in this matter.

If the below email string and the attachments here have already come to your notice, I apologise for the repetition. However, please note the attachment "Camping-car Park English Ad" is new and was not sent previously.

As explained in the attached, Aire is the French word meaning a stop-over parking place (not camping!) for self-contained motorhomes & motor caravans. Aires are commonplace all over Europe, but not in the UK. CAMpRA believes that this is to the detriment both of such vehicle owners and the UK economy currently struggling with the pandemic fallout.

When travel restrictions fade away, a huge pent up demand will be released as touring owners become active again. The attached survey needs updating to reflect the sales explosion of motorhomes and motor caravans, now currently over 386,000 registered in the UK. It's not just those in the UK, but also those of the 2 million in Europe who will travel here, too. Cambridge will be high on their destinations list, but for motorhomes and motor caravans access to and parking in Cambridge is a significant issue adding to traffic congestion and diminishing finite available parking. This needn't be so. For locations like Cambridge, Aires could be established at park & ride sites, as successfully achieved in Canterbury - see the attached case study. The benefits to Cambridge would be long-term when the community of UK and European motorhome and motor caravan owners come to realise it's a welcoming city for them.

You'll see from the attached that Canterbury is more than happy to share its experience and expertise on its Aires. Perhaps inevitably, a degree of investment would be needed and undoubtedly local authorities are currently very stretched. That's why I have attached also here the Camping-car Park document. They are France's leading providers and managers of Aires and are have expertise in partnering with French local authorities to establish and manage them. They are expanding into the UK and looking for opportunities. CAMpRA can put you directly in touch with Camping-car Park to explore this possibility.

Thank you for taking time to consider this email and its attachments. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Steve Birnie
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

- Roseberry Tourist Park, Willingham, Nr Cambridge
- Wyton Lakes near Huntingdon
- Fenland Camping & Caravan Park, Wimblington near March
- Shepreth Mill Caravan Park between Cambridge & Royston
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

- Top End Farm, Little Staughton, Cambs
- Three Rivers Camping, near Beccles, Suffolk
- Mill Hill Farm Camping, Darsham, Suffolk
- Cliff House Holidays, Dunwich, Suffolk
- Peewit Caravan Park, Felixstowe, Suffolk
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

Emails sent today to:-
- Linton Zoo, Linton, Cambs with sports clubs, etc, letter suitably amended
- BIAZA (British & Irish Association of Zoos & Aquariums) with sports clubs, etc, letter duly amended
- Anglian Water Parks with three docs: sports clubs, etc, letter, the letter to campsites & the Camping-car Park ad.
Steve

Post by Steve »

See topic on Biaza
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team