East Anglia
Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
CShel

Lowestoft, The UK’s most easterly town

Post by CShel »

I have emailed the Mayor, Alan Green as well as the Admin for Neighbourhood Plan at Lowestoft Town Council

The Mayor, Lowestoft Town Council

Hello Mr Green

I would like to draw your attention to Motorhome Tourism, which is booming, and will be unleashed after months of Lockdown in 3 weeks’ time, on 12 April.

I am your local member of CAMpRA - Campaigning for a better supportive infrastructure for Motorhome Tourism.

(Photo of CAMpRA aims)

There are now over 386,000 ‘motorcaravans’ registered in the UK, with 33,170 bought in just 12 weeks July to September 2020 post Lockdown. No doubt people find them one of the safest ways to travel in control of their own environment. It seems as if everyone who used to take holidays on coaches and cruises has bought a motorhome. 44% are retired, 82% tour all year round with an average 63 days away each year.

Lowestoft should welcome them, and provide facilities to entice them into town to spend good money in local shops and in the hospitality and tourism businesses hit so badly by Covid Closure this past year. All that’s needed is adequate parking spaces off-road within walking distance of the beach and town centre.

I have identified two plots which could take 5-10 vans, beside the Fish Dock on Hamilton Road. It is closed off wasteland at the moment, but could easily be brought back to life, earning the town some income, allowing overnighters to visit the centre and have a good night out, as well as spending the day in town

(Photo of Dockside Aire possibility)
D967ECFB-631D-47C1-A384-6E12BD786453.jpeg
D967ECFB-631D-47C1-A384-6E12BD786453.jpeg (7.54 MiB) Viewed 769 times

The other place is a potholed gravel parking area behind Birds Eye. Both are close to Ness Point.

Also one Service Point in town, would be an asset that could benefit any car-wash business, fuel station or supermarket. They are places where motorhomes can park up to empty their waste water and toilet tanks, their rubbish bins and refill with fresh water, which is required every 3-4 days. Any parking area with a toilet block with water and plumbing could be easily adapted for this purpose. A 10 minute turn around could earn £5 a time for the owner.

Motorhomes don’t always use campsites; when on tour they behave differently to caravans. They don’t need all the campsite facilities, just a stopover place, to visit a town or tourist site, and move on next day. Campsites are too remote, require pre-booking, and require minimum stays at peak times, and are closed 6 months of the year, when motorhomes tour all year round.

It is quite acceptable on the continent for motorhomes to stopover in parking areas off-road, in towns and villages, and a network of 10,000+ dedicated parking areas, called Aires and Stellplatz, have been created to encourage motorhomes to visit and shop locally, and they usually eat out, too. Tasting the local cuisine and culture is part of the joy of motorhoming, and it’s these businesses who will benefit if Lowestoft can provide an Aire for motorhomes and campervans this summer.

(Photo of Potential Income from Aires)

See how much they can benefit financially!

I have written to Admin about including a Motorhome stopover area in the Neighbourhood Plan, and hope you can discuss this at your next full council meeting?

CAMpRA is helping a lot of councils around the country, particularly those popular with visiting motorhomes, like Cornwall and Devon. In fact BBC Spotlight’s TV news report on Thursday had one of our Leader Group on to talk about our ‘Strategy For Motorhome Tourism In The UK’ plan that was commissioned last summer and published in November. No such a study has been produced before, so it’s an enlightening document that solves the Staycation boom problems that hit campsites last summer as campsites cannot cope alone with the huge numbers staying in Britain thanks to the restrictions on foreign travel.

I hope this has enlightened you to the potential benefits of Motorhome Tourism to Lowestoft, and that we can help your local businesses fight back from Covid Closure and see a happier future?

With best regards

Charles Shelbourne
Burgh Castle
www.CAMpRA.org.uk

+ Strategy Report + East Anglia Coastal Tour

Members of CAMpRA can see the Neighbourhood Plan here and email admin from here. See page
https://www.lowestofttowncouncil.gov.uk ... hood-plan/
CShel

Re: Lowestoft, The UK’s most easterly town

Post by CShel »

A response, to contact East Suffolk Council....

Dear Mr Shelbourne,

Thank you for your email. I believe the two plots of land you have identified are in the ownership of East Suffolk Council. I would recommend contacting them in the first instance as they own the majority of car parks in the area and would likely have more of a capacity to support these proposals than us. East Suffolk Council’s email address is customerservices@eastsuffolk.gov.uk

Many thanks

Kind Regards,

Lauren Elliott
Committee Clerk and Customer Services Assistant
Lowestoft Town Council
First Floor, Hamilton House
Battery Green Road
Lowestoft
NR32 1DE

0330 053 6019
www.lowestofttowncouncil.gov.uk
Steve

Post by Steve »

At least you have another contact and a possibility if its council land.
CCP?
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

Good afternoon Charles,

this is the response I got:

Good morning Tracey,

Thank you for your email. I would recommend contacting East Suffolk Council in the first instance as they own the majority of parking areas in the town and would likely have more of a capacity to support these proposals than us. East Suffolk Council’s email address is customerservices@eastsuffolk.gov.uk

Kind Regards,

Lauren Elliott

Committee Clerk and Customer Services Assistant

Lowestoft Town Council

First Floor, Hamilton House

Battery Green Road

Lowestoft

NR32 1DE
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

And my response to the email address provided.

Good Afternoon,

Please consider making provision for motorhomes to stop overnight not too far from the town centre. Please, not a campsite just an area of hardstanding with a water tap & a drain to empty cassette toilet waste.

My ancestors migrated from Lowestoft to North Shields from Lowestoft so I am keen to explore & I've only managed a day trip before now. I would love to plan an Autumn /Winter trip around Norfolk / Suffolk in our motorhome. Because of my husband's health, a motorhome holiday is the only type of break we can take.

Because of my husband's disability, we cannot walk very far into town from a campsite or use public transport. We don't want to take up precious daytime spaces in the town centre car parks but to be able to park up and stay over one or two nights just outside of town, would work in everyone's favour.

There are many other motorhome owners of similar age and state of health who would love to come and spend their money in your lovely county but would rather spend in the shops and local businesses than on big campsites with lots of people around and facilities that are not needed.

Kind regards
CShel

From Parking Dept at East Suffolk Council

Post by CShel »

This is today’s response from Parking at East Suffolk Council

There are some places for MHs now, and keep a look out at their notices
He may contact me for more discussion

F65BD6B5-69E0-47E3-B7D5-DDCEE78CC2F2.jpeg
F65BD6B5-69E0-47E3-B7D5-DDCEE78CC2F2.jpeg (629.29 KiB) Viewed 616 times