Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)

General Information post not for specific country or area
arthur49

Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)

Post by arthur49 »

I have searched the forum but can't see this being raised before?

The Facebook thread by Dawn Mair re Aberdeen posted today 15 Sept 21 refers. Aberdeen city are disappointed at the low level of staycation visitors! No wonder they have no facilities, not even a caravan park close to city limits.

Which leads me to the Aberdeen city businesses which are being deprived of moho income.

What does FSB think? Have we ever spoken to FSB?
Last edited by arthur49 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Re: Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)

Post by Steve »

I contacted the earky in the campaign last year and basically unless we wanted to pay to advertise they were not interested in promoting CAMpRA or Aires.

However a lot as changed over the last 12 months so why not give it another try.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

Letter to David Groundwater, FSB North East Scotland Development Manager:

" ............................ We have a fully self contained campervan which we use all year round.

Did you know that there are no campervan facilities in or near Aberdeen? There is not even a caravan site since Hazlehead was closed many years ago - though we, and many campervan and motorhome owners, don't need caravan sites as we are fully self contained with all services onboard.

I have seen an email from an Aberdeen City official to an Aberdeen resident complaining that they are disappointed with the low level of staycation visitors. But there are no campervan facilities so why visit?

So that means FSB members in the city are losing out - cafes, pubs, shops, restaurants, attractions etc. There are 390000 registered motorhomes in the UK (per DVLA) most owners of which will tour all year round. Motorhomers are the largest growing tourism sector in the UK I believe.

Can I let you have some information on how communities can improve their facilities to attract motorhomers who will in turn spend money locally? A survey last year indicated that, on average, a motorhome stopping overnight in a community spent £47/night in that community."
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

Reply received below

Initial thoughts on response
- some stats
- example installations
- Canterbury P&R testimonial

"Hi Arthur,
Sorry for the delay.
I am aware of the lack of facilities in the city having grown up in Aberdeen and now living near your home town of Banchory.
This is not something that anyone has ever raised with us and I’m not sure creating facilities in a city which is relatively small 72 square km is the answer to helping our struggling businesses. I think I’m right in saying that Dundee and possibly Edinburgh also have no or little facilities.
For years occupancy levels with accommodation providers across the city have been amongst the lowest in the UK- just one of the reasons we have been fighting against the proposal to introduce a tourism tax across the city.
The wider North East Regional Economic Strategy is working towards plans found https://investaberdeen.co.uk/why-aberde ... c-strategy which are aimed at helping sectors across the region including tourism. (Due to be refreshed due to covid).
Projects such as the recently refurbished Art Gallery, Music Hall and Provost Skene House will hopefully help attract visitors to the city and we obviously have a lot of work to do in replacing the huge voids left by the likes of John Lewis, Debenhams and other major retailers in the City. The council are currently in the process of revamping the city centre masterplan which includes a proposal for the old BHS site. This will hopefully lead to more opportunities for small indy businesses to develop and grow in the city. More here https://news.aberdeencity.gov.uk/go-ahe ... en-market/.
I am in no doubt of the increase in motorhome/campervan activity across the UK and know many members who operate in this field and for years every regional tourism group that I’m part of talks about the need to stretch visitor nights and spend for the wider area to benefit.
Have you been in contact with VisitAberdeenshire and or Campa? They might be better placed to talk about the lack of facilities in Aberdeen. I would add there are lots of very nice sites in the surrounding are only minutes away from Aberdeen in Maryculter, Stonehaven and quite a few sites in Banchory itself.
I’d be more than happy to look at any data you have as we have undertaken many reports on this issue ourself but I don’t think any has covered the campervan angle- most likely because all those in that sector are fully booked!
Best regards
David
Last edited by arthur49 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

My reply to FSB:
"Thank you for your constructive response David.
Firstly, I am not suggesting for a second that the provision of facilities for campervans in Aberdeen city is the solution to business success there ...... but every little helps.
I am a volunteer campaigner with CAMpRA, a private company limited by guarantee without share capital, not for profit, with almost 26000 members and a strong leadership team. See here:
https://find-and-update.company-informa ... y/13405866
Basically we campaign for a network of Aires, common in mainland Europe. You will find details here:
https://campra.org.uk/
and if you then click on Business Hub you will find lots of information on what is involved in creating an Aire.
Simply, an Aire is a parking area, with or without services, the latter being drains for grey water (sink, shower) and black water (cassette toilet), and a fresh water tap. Electric hook ups are not needed.
What I have been suggesting to Aberdeen City Councillors is an Aire at the P & R at Bridge of Don or Kingswells or the Beach front or another location I'm not aware of. Water and waste points could be set up at public toilets, recycling points, car washes, disused petrol station forecourts etc. Council Officers have been asked to look at this.
Hawick in the Scottish Borders was probably the first Aire in Scotland – at the Common Haugh car park. With toilets and a fresh water tap.
Port Erroll Harbour, Cruden Bay has an Aire with toilets and a fresh water tap.
Findhorn in Moray recently created a superb Aire at the beach with all water and waste facilities.
Lochore Meadows, Fife has an Aire with all water and waste facilities.
And there are others in Scotland.
Canterbury, Kent has had an Aire at its Dover Road car park for many years and may be the first in the UK. Last time we were there it was £3.50/night with all water and waste facilities, and the fee includes return bus to centre where you can spend some money! I attach a document which includes some practicalities involved in setting this up and Council positive experience.
CAMpRA carried out a survey last year of its members. When staying overnight in a community the average spend in pubs, shops, cafes, attractions etc was £47. There are 390000 registered motorhomes/campervans in the UK according to DVLA and it is believed to be the fastest growing tourism sector in the UK. It is also estimated that campervanners will spend close to £1bn annually in the UK in shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants, food etc. And because the UK has poor facilities, campervanners from mainland Europe don’t come to the UK in the numbers you would expect.
The good news is campervan facilities in Scotland are far better than in England, despite Scotland being poor!
How could FSB help?
1. support our campaign by speaking to your business members and local authorities (Councillor Marie Boulton is my contact in Aberdeen Council)
2. do you have any members who could provide overnight parking in the city or surrounds and/or install water and waste facilities? (most campervanners are happy to pay up to £5 to simply fill with water and empty waste)
I could go on David, but it might be easier, if you want more detail, to speak on the phone.
Kind regards and thank you for listening
Arthur
Tel xxxxxxxxx
Attachments
canterbury park & ride success story.pdf
(580.09 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

No response. I'll let it rest at the moment ......