Permission for Elsan point question.

General Information post not for specific country or area
Tim

Permission for Elsan point question.

Post by Tim »

Hi Folks,
My local friendly Parish Councillor has asked me to investigate if we need any local authority permissions to install an Elsan point.
Do any of you have experience of this previously or do you know who I should contact to ask?
Many thanks,
Tim
Last edited by Tim on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madcaravanner

Re: Permission for Elsan point question.

Post by Madcaravanner »

I haven't got any info BUT I do think we should get them NOT to refer to it as an elsan point

It will be a Cassette emptying point - -

very few people (9% according to CAMpRA research I gather) actually use chemicals and Elsan is an very old trade name of a particularly terrible one most of us use additives that are safe in a septic tank which is a eco brownie point to us all (pun intended)
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
DevonDavid

Post by DevonDavid »

You may need to get permission from the local water and sewerage company. For example, if you were connecting a new house to the existing sewer you would need to get permission.
However, if you would be just using an existing manhole or other connection to the sewerage system I would just go ahead and do it!

I agree that it should be referred to as a "cassette emptying point".....
Steve

Post by Steve »

Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Steve

Post by Steve »

Tim, this is advice from a planning consultant who is a member.
But remember that we are not experts so cannot give legal advice on planning just guidance on what we think applies:

Section 55 of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 defines two specific categories of Development
1) “The carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over, or under land” This is termed !Operational Development”
2) “The making of any MATERIAL change of use of any buildings or other land”

This is termed as “Use Change Development”

The Act also specifies what does not constitute development such as:

a) the carrying out for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any building of works which (i) affect only the interior of the building, or
(ii) do not materially affect the external appearance of the building.
In some instances, determining what constitutes a material change of use is not straight forward but should always be judged as a matter of fact and degree taking into account the individual merits of the case. When assessing the materiality of a change of use two things should be considered:
" any change in the character of the use itself, including the land where it is located
" the effects of the change upon neighbouring uses and the locality.
Always bear in mind that for a change to be material, the new use must be substantially different from the preceding use. Some operations or uses may be considered as #de minimis$, meaning that they are so minor as to have no legal consequence. Again, determining whether something is de minimis is a matter of fact and degree.

All that being said the likely hood of any Local authority asking for an application is negligible and the issuing of enforcement has to be expedient in the public interest and not to rectify a breach of planning that is acceptable:

If the site has existing toilet facilities, then the addition of outside tap and waste emptying point would also be classed as (i) De minimis
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team