Stonehaven Traffic Management / AIRE provision survey

Regions In Scotland
GWB

Stonehaven Traffic Management / AIRE provision survey

Post by GWB »

Aberdeenshire council have launched a survey, which closes 19th April, with the stated aim - to allow Aberdeenshire Council to make informed decisions about the future of Stonehaven's traffic management.

However the survey is heavily weighted towards finding out views on possible Aire locations in and around the town. CAMpRA is mentioned several times - I suspect this is down to 'hearsay' from previous communications on facebook etc, rather than anyone from Aberdeenshire or Stonehaven local councillors having made any official approach to CAMpRA for assistance. Does anyone know if they have or not?

Unfortunately, in the first Aire related question they refer to 'wild camping'!! :shock:
I've already contacted a local councillor to point out the error & risk associated with using this term. Hopefully they remove it. If anyone here completes the survey, can you let me know if it's still there.

https://engage.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/sto ... iew-survey
Steve

Re: Stonehaven Traffic Management / AIRE provision survey

Post by Steve »

Excellent opportunity to have your say and input into the provision of Aires in Stonehaven.
One area not suggested which I added was this empty space which appers to be near a pumping station?
2BA75F13-98E1-4D97-8534-D6722C7C8D5B.jpeg
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
GWB

Post by GWB »

Steve, that is apparently a no go. People with power must live in Cowie village - access through that small village would be frowned upon & opposed.

The crescent shaped area just to the upper left is the layby area the survey mentions. It's at an elevated position and served by the main road so an ideal location.

As is anything next to the outdoor swimming pool which I keep pointing out could be a valuable income stream for them. There is a success story at Kirkcudbright swimming pool Aire for them to learn from and follow......

Maintaining, enhancing and promoting the pool is charity funded.

http://www.stonehavenopenairpool.co.uk/
Steve

Post by Steve »

They mention the swimming pool and the recreation ground looks OK.
Our biggest issue will be the CAMC as they will most likely object strongly to any provision for motorcaravan overnight parking
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
GWB

Post by GWB »

I'm not so sure. It's a very popular CAMC and often full, I'd bet it'll make no difference to their numbers.

An official Aire (for the benefit of town or pool) would possibly be supported by them in exchange for the free loaders being banned from parking on the promenade section right outside their front door.

If that happened, they would see no difference in trade as the large number of free parking vans would simply be shifting to a fee paying Aire.

The current set up possibly harms their numbers - there must be a few who turn up for their first ever visit to Stonehaven, having pre-booked onto the CAMC site, thinking next time we come to Stonehaven we're having one of these free parking spots as they drive into the site.......
GWB

Post by GWB »

Results of the survey resulted in these proposed projects - we made it into the medium priority basket.

Acting on review findings
Having analysed and considered the feedback, council officers are now proposing short, medium and long term projects to be taken forward by the area Roads Network Management team in consultation with community groups and the Area Committee.

Short term:
Permanent widening of the Promenade (Links)
Redesign of Leisure Centre car park
Belmont Brae One way
Additional Pedestrian Crossings
One way system at the Railway Station
Installation of improved signage/waymarking throughout Stonehaven
One-way systems along Arbuthnott Place, The Cross and Albert Lane

Medium term:
Mineralwell improved footway access and lighting
CAMpRA Aire
Shared space and Parking at Shorehead and Harbour Area
Relocation of bus stops

Long term: