Hayling island and Havant council

London
East Sussex
Kent
Steve

Re: Hayling island and Havant council

Post by Steve »

Why would there be an increased cost to monitor if overnight stays were allowed? If overnight stays are not allowed then they still require the same monitoring and physical checks plus enforcement costs?
I do not understand the reasoning?

Why do they think motorcaravan owners need to be monitored overnight, what do they think we are going to do when we are asleep? Is this implying that they are expecting us to break the law?

Charging for overnight parking would generate revenue so if managed correctly would in fact generate income for the council.

We have lots of examples where this is allowed by councils with no requirement for “monitoring and physical control” , examples like Ayr who are extending the scheme to more car parks, the new report from Gwynedd setting up Aires in 6 car parks following consultation process.
Maybe send the report cllr Satchwell?
Gwynedd Motorcaravan Report.pdf
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
Craven District Council case study.pdf
(40.61 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
https://portfolio.cpl.co.uk/Parking-News/417/22/
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
pamthevan

Post by pamthevan »

I agree...i am working on tbem one item at a time....main reason for banning it before was public reports that 12 vans dudnt pay the charge one Sat eve .....issue here was council not acrually enfircing their rules...make it chargeable then fine if not paid religiously....word would soon get round.
I do feel i am getting lip service but i have become an annoying email they feel the need to answer, keeping the conversation open but not pestering so they ignore me...i questioned how the same land could benused for kite surfing armarda with campervan overnight spaces...answer was that the organisers marshall itand the council make no financial gain from the event....matbe Campra could use the same land fir no financial gain to the council to hold a agm?????...just putting itmout there lol
Steve

Post by Steve »

Or we could fill the car park with motorhomes and stay awake all night 🤣🤣

Its a good job we are non confrontational 😊
mgd618

Post by mgd618 »

Hi, my first post in CAMpRA! We used Hayling's West Beach car park many times during Covid taking our bikes and enjoying a ride beside the harbour. (Free at the time in case you caught Covid from the pay machine!) Returned from there an hour ago totally incensed that we had to pay £15 to stay for 3 hours!
There are several aspects to this. I would like to know:-
1) What is their reasoning/justification for insisting on an ALL DAY ticket. A small premium for a larger vehicle I might understand even though our Chausson motorhome fits a standard parking bay (with a little overhang at the back!)
2) Ringo have a sign on the side of the pay box endorsed by Havant council giving location 3322 which I enterd into my ringo app and paid for 3 hours.
Happily we were still in the van when a parking person came and explained that we had not paid enough and that we should have paid for 10hrs. Where on Ringo does it say this? Councils more than happy for you to pay them through the Ringo app but not give details of their charges structure ON RINGO.
How much do they make in fines this way?
3) The sign, when I walked the hundred yards to go and check it states " Vehicles with trailer/Jet Ski/ Motorhomes/Horseboxes & Coaches. Any length of stay £15." (Jet Ski ????) Now my Motorhome is a 3.5 ton Ford Transit underneath and another part their sign say no commercial vehicles OVER 3.5 tons.
So we could have arrived in a 3.5 ton Transit van fitted out as a campervan and only paid £4.30 for three hours!
(Campervan describes vans that have been fitted out, whereas a motorhome is one with a coachbuilt body.)

On a different thread is it not time to produce a league table of councils re Campervans/Motorhomes (Boroughbridge, Westbay (Dorset) & Canterbury at the top) and the shameful councils who blatently discriminate aginst Motorhomes. (Clacton, Havant, Pembrokeshire.) Sending such a table to the Tourist office of each might stir something up!
Steve

Post by Steve »

mgd618 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:23 pm Hi, my first post in CAMpRA! We used Hayling's West Beach car park many times during Covid taking our bikes and enjoying a ride beside the harbour. (Free at the time in case you caught Covid from the pay machine!) Returned from there an hour ago totally incensed that we had to pay £15 to stay for 3 hours!
There are several aspects to this. I would like to know:-
1) What is their reasoning/justification for insisting on an ALL DAY ticket. A small premium for a larger vehicle I might understand even though our Chausson motorhome fits a standard parking bay (with a little overhang at the back!)
2) Ringo have a sign on the side of the pay box endorsed by Havant council giving location 3322 which I enterd into my ringo app and paid for 3 hours.
Happily we were still in the van when a parking person came and explained that we had not paid enough and that we should have paid for 10hrs. Where on Ringo does it say this? Councils more than happy for you to pay them through the Ringo app but not give details of their charges structure ON RINGO.
How much do they make in fines this way?
3) The sign, when I walked the hundred yards to go and check it states " Vehicles with trailer/Jet Ski/ Motorhomes/Horseboxes & Coaches. Any length of stay £15." (Jet Ski ????) Now my Motorhome is a 3.5 ton Ford Transit underneath and another part their sign say no commercial vehicles OVER 3.5 tons.
So we could have arrived in a 3.5 ton Transit van fitted out as a campervan and only paid £4.30 for three hours!
(Campervan describes vans that have been fitted out, whereas a motorhome is one with a coachbuilt body.)

On a different thread is it not time to produce a league table of councils re Campervans/Motorhomes (Boroughbridge, Westbay (Dorset) & Canterbury at the top) and the shameful councils who blatently discriminate aginst Motorhomes. (Clacton, Havant, Pembrokeshire.) Sending such a table to the Tourist office of each might stir something up!
CAMpRA are about promoting the benefits of allowing motorcaravans to stay overnight whilst we are just as annoyed about these types of charges we have an ethos of no petitions, no complaints, no confrontation which has allowed us to make tremendous progress.

We used to have a list of councils allowing overnight parking but unfortunately unless we have a volunteer to maintain this it is out of date very quickly.

I suggest that you contact the council and explain the benefits of allowing overnight parking for motorcaravans, we are supported by the BPA but car park operators operate to conditions set by the owners.

You may like to send them the attached document but please remember however frustrated and annoyed you are you will make a lot more progress with reason.

FYI leadership have a meeting with Pembrokeshire council next week so they are engaging and we have 3 Aires being licensed in Pembrokeshire and one being processed and planning have had objections so far 🤞
https://campra.org.uk/download/briefing-document/
https://campra.org.uk/download/myth-buster/