WLGA contact

Regions in Wales
Europa

WLGA contact

Post by Europa »

I emailed the WLGA this morning regarding our campaign and have had a reply already. Sadly not the positive one we would have liked, but a one line telling me to get in touch with my local council.

Not to be defeated I have replied, going into more detail about what I had hoped to achieve from my email. I finished off by asking the sender to pass on my correspondence to Hugh Thomas who has responsibility for tourism within their group. He is actually the leader of Cardiff County Council, so I am not expecting miracles , as we lived in Cardiff for many years.

I did mention that Wales were lagging behind somewhat in taking on the concept of Aires.... politely of course.
Europa

WLGA documents for reference

Post by Europa »

I have scoured the WLGA Website and thought the following document could be useful for our campaign.

https://www.wlga.wales/culture-heritage ... nd-tourism

https://www.wlga.wales/wlga-rural-wales-manifesto

I will try and look, at the rural Wales manifesto in more detail tomorrow.
Europa

Re: WLGA contact

Post by Europa »

I have emailed Hugh Thomas who has responsibility for Tourism within WLGA. He is also the leader of Cardiff Council so I included a reference to the fact that Cardiff, as Capital of Wales, only has 43 hardstanding pitches at a City Centre site. Motorhomes are forced to park overnight in a Long Stay carpark with no facilities with no designated spaces.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Keep up the good work
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Europa

Post by Europa »

No reply from Hugh Thomas or the WLGA officer I emailed originally. Have emailed her again asking if she has forwarded CAMpRA details to all LAs in Wales. Explained how England and Scotland are making progress and how Wales are missing out. Let's hope she understands what I am asking for.

Will get back to Hugh tomorrow, as Cardiff which is his local patch only has 43 pitches.... and is the Capital of Wales . ***.

Two pronged attack so to speak. He is the WLGA officer with responsibility for tourism too.
Europa

Post by Europa »

I have had a reply to my email to Hugh Thomas who has responsibility for Tourism on the Board, and is also the Chair of Cardiff County Council stating that he is 'addressing ' the content of my emails and will respond to me in due course.

I emailed him via WLGA re Wales as a whole, and directly at Cardiff with reference to its particular issues ( just 43 pitches on 1 site for the Capital City of Wales) including the overnight parking in car parks and on some streets ( not authorised as such) owing to the lack of facilities, especially when large events on at the Millennium stadium.

Looking forward to his reply
Europa

Post by Europa »

Have yet again penned an email to Hugh Thomas re his lack of response , especially as he said he was preparing a response. That was back in February.

Very disappointing for the person with responsibility for Tourism on the WLGA, and also Man in charge at Cardiff.....
As the saying from our FM goes 'In Wales we do things differently ' ..... or rather not at all.
Europa

Post by Europa »

Please see below a long awaited, but very positive response to my emails to the WLGA re support for CAMpRA.

Thank you for your e-mail to draw my attention to the campaign for real Aires in the UK, please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

I have asked the Welsh Local Government Association to write to each local authority to draw attention to the need to provide facilities for the increasing number of users of motor homes for touring in the UK.

As you point out it is timely to invest in such facilities as demand for staycations in motor homes is likely to increase for the foreseeable future.

I will also ask Visit Wales to include funding for Aires in their “Brilliant Basis” funding programme to improve Welsh infrastructure to support tourism.

Yn gywir / Yours sincerely,

Cllr. Huw Thomas,

WLGA Spokesperson