Richardson’s Leisure Ltd (sites in Stalham, Hemsby Acle)

East Anglia
Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
CShel

Richardson’s Leisure Ltd (sites in Stalham, Hemsby Acle)

Post by CShel »

I spotted a new development announcement in the local paper (online, via Facebook) about improving facilities at Acle’s riverside boating marina to include better parking, bigger cafe, shops…. Richardson’s Leisure is a local boating (Norfolk Broads) business that has recently moved into Hemsby and improved the look of the holiday resort with better parking and facilities. They are based in Stalham where there are many boatyards suppling boats and chalets and static caravan holiday parks for holidaymakers. Now they are working on this site in Acle.

So I wrote to the CEO, Grey Munford after finding his email address on a Broads Authority page where he was listed as a Committee Member.

Today I received a response from him, himself, thanking me for ‘making contact and sharing the info. Will be in touch’ ✔️

Here’s my letter..

“Dear Mr Munford

I’ve heard some good news is happening in Acle soon, but…. will your plans include spaces for the hoards of motorhomers that pass through Acle? You have a golden opportunity to cash in on Motorhome Tourism…

I live nearby at Burgh Castle, and am a member of a group called CAMpRA (Campaign for Real Aires) - find us on Facebook, too.

We are a group of over 36,600 motorhomers and campervanners with a shared aim, to build a supportive infrastructure that allows British and would-be foreign visitors to easily find short-stay stopover motorhome parking, to explore popular tourist sites, go shopping, dine out ‘tasting the local cuisine and culture’ as they go.

And, also, to easily access ‘Service Points’ (currently only available on campsites, only open 6 months a year), which are required every 3-4 days for emptying onboard waste grey water tanks and toilette cassette tanks and topping up with fresh water.

83% of owners tour all year round, spending around £50 a day when able to stop in the local community. Pubs are very popular places, for stopovers, with their large car parks and Motorhome Tourism is helping many pubs take extra money from outside their vicinity all year round.

CAMpRA is helping tourist attractions, garden centres, sports clubs, cafes and farm shops, village halls… to open up their parking places to motorhomers and campervanners, and I’d like to see that your proposed plans for Acle riverside recognise this opportunity, and would include larger spaces to attract more visitors and support your businesses there.

Aires were created in France decades ago to divert tourism into small communities, and many are free to entice these visitors. There are now over 13,000 Aires that encourage year round spending in the local economy.

Here’s how to design an Aire: https://campra.org.uk/wp-content/upload ... n_Aire.pdf

I want to make you aware of a potential revenue stream (with zero outlay, other than white paint for larger spaces!), that could generate much needed funds for your organisation to help with the rising cost of fuel bills and inflation.

An overnight stopover (6pm to 10am) is usually charged at £5 + daytime parking charges, but with services available to use, as well, self-service (no staff required) a charge of £10 can be taken. As an example, Fleetwood Council (near Blackpool) reported almost £26,000 in revenue from a £5 overnight charge in 22/23 with over £268,000 spent in the local area. Impressive?

There are around 400,000 DVLA registered ‘Motorcaravans’ plus an unknown number of converted vans ‘Vans with windows’ touring the UK now, and over 2 million European tourers who’d love to cross the Channel and tour here, but don’t because of the lack of facilities. What potential there is to cash in on foreign money by including MH parking and a Service Point in your developments at Acle, Stalham and Hemsby!

The modern day motorhome, can go anywhere these days, with onboard storage tanks, fridges, mobile wifi, central heating, solar power, but they can’t go to Europe now for more than 90 days in 180, which means that they are restricted to more UK touring now, often at peak times when campsites are full. They now demand advance booking, minimum stays and check-ins during office hours - each of which is anathema to the nomadic behaviour they usually enjoy, so Aires are the solution. Please help!

There would be no financial outlay, for parking, though building a Service Point would incur a small amount - details available on CAMpRA.org.uk

Signage is another cost we can help with, and advertising to bring in customers straightaway is free, on the popular SearchForSites website and app that we all use.

To legalise staying overnight, you can apply for a free Planning Exemption Certificate, from our CAMpRA Rally Group, to allow up to 5 motorhomes per night.

Do ring me and I’ll pop over and explain it all and with a site inspection we can get you going, ready for the surge of visits expected in the springtime.
I’m on 0790x xxxxxxxx

Cheers
Charles Shelbourne

PS. I’m currently helping Beccles Council and Wroxham Barns open up motorhome parks.“

Photos attached = MH parking in Scarborough, and a picture of a motorhome in a Service Point.