East Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
Fatfranky

BBC news article re N. York’s & Cumbria

Post by Fatfranky »

Hi

I watched BBC local News last night and there was an article saying that the local government elections in North Yorkshire & Cumbria scheduled for this summer are to be suspended. The reason for this is that in both counties it is proposed to abolish some local councils and merge them into what I would call regions, as I understand it 9 local councils in N Yorks would merge into 2 regions of 4 councils plus York City. Essentially we’d be left with the county council, a York City council an Eastern North Yorkshire council and a Western North Yorkshire council. The situation for Cumbria is very similar and there is some consultation to be done as to which councils merge with which.

The reason I’m raising this is that one of the local councils is Craven District Council, who currently allow motor caravan overnight parking in some of their car parks, such as Skipton & Settle, but what will happen after the merger?

Scenario 1 is that the Craven model is rolled out across the other merged council areas

Scenario 2 is that overnight parking is stopped in line with the model of the other district areas.

What are peoples thoughts on this, is this an opportunity for Campra to encourage wider implementation of the Craven District Council model?
Grey Wanderer

Re: BBC news article re N. York’s & Cumbria

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Silver lining is that Scarborough District Council that’s continues to put the mockers on Whitby will be disbanded. There was support in Whitby businesses for MH overnight parking, Scarborough kept blocking it.

But yes we need to applaud Craven and keep pressure on the others.