Photos of possible locations

Regions In Scotland
Steve

Photos of possible locations

Post by Steve »

Please post a photo and details of potential sites for an Aire or waste point in your location with who owns the land if known, we will direct councils and tourism bodies to this page.
If you are able to make contact please put the brief details: contact name and details, date contacted, method of contact.
These could be disused car parks, closed businesses like car sales plots, public toilets, clubs etc or car parks empty at night.
Use your imagination but consider access for larger vehicles and away from residential areas.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
LizM

Re: Photos of possible locations

Post by LizM »

North Kessock, Inverness.

This land has been mentioned before. It was for sale in 2015 or 2016 and I looked at it - it would make a fabulous Aire and its mostly all in place already. There is a perimeter road with parking bays scattered around the edge. It's surrounded by trees and so there would be minimal disruption to local housing (which is only on one side - west end). The housing shown south is below and therefore not affected.
The site is next to the A9 on the NC500 route and there is an existing pull off and on to the dual carriageway. There is a takeaway restaurant and toilets and large lay-by/parking area which is separate.

There was a planning application in with Highland Council to develop this site as an Aire, but I think it was rejected? Road access and effect on neighbouring housing sited as problems?

I think this would be an ideal site for CCP to take on board. I haven't passed the details to them yet.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 14.51.44.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 14.51.44.png (472.52 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 13.35.02.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 13.35.02.png (3.73 MiB) Viewed 4682 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

But if planning was refused why would it het approved for CCP?
Aires-UK are looking to purchase land and set up top class Aires
LizM

Post by LizM »

Because it never hurts to try again, and there were no sensible reasons for refusing the planning. Local houses overlooking, for example - there are only two and there are existing mature trees screening. Access on to the A9 - there is already an existing pull off/on for an extensive parking area, toilet block and takeaway (it's a service area), and the A9 is dual carriageway there and there is a 40 mph limit (for the Kessock Bridge and extended past this service area).

Moreover, Highland Council were trying to sell the plot a few years ago. So if someone who knows what they are doing approached them again, I think they might get somewhere. It's almost a ready made Aire.
Last edited by LizM on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Liz can you post details and possibly contacts on the Forum below please?
CCP monitor this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=330
darrener

Post by darrener »

Planning not turned down - just further traffic survey work required -post COVID
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ter-covid/
LizM

Post by LizM »

There is a Service Area there already with a large amount of parking and toilets and a cafe. The attached plot has about 10 spaces, so in reality I can't see how 10 more vehicles going in at night and coming out in the morning would make any perceptible difference to the overall traffic flow!
LizM

Post by LizM »

Last night I decided to email the North Kessock details to CCP (Alice Yentur) - I've been in touch with her before regarding the site of the old Forest and Land Scotland campsite at Balmacara.

This is the reply I got from Alice about North Kessock:

"Thank you very much for this detailed explanation and proposal. I have contacted Mr Gordon Adam by email and phone to propose a video call waiting for his answer.

What else could we do in order to explain that we would love to be considered as a solution to the problems they encounter along the NC500 route ?

Any suggestions ? Do you already know this councillor ?

The plan of the area is great and it does look amazing.. I understand why so many tourists like to go there now..

Cheers

Alice YENTÜR
Export Sales Assistant / Assistante Commerciale Export
a.yentur@campingcarpark.com"

Anyone got any ideas in answer to her questions about the NC500?