Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
CShel

East Suffolk Council

Post by CShel »

Today I had a further response from this council

“Hello Mr. Shelbourne,

Thank you very much for that information.

In my last email to you, I provided a link to the council’s webpage for parking and some of the ‘relevant information’ I referred to is contained in ‘Off-street Parking Places Order 2020’. I have summarised where motor caravans are permitted to park (not sleep or cook) below:

The Grove, Felixstowe, IP11 9GA
Iken Cliff, Iken, IP12 2EN
Sutton Heath Picnic Area, Sutton Heath, IP12 3TG
Sutton Heath, Sutton Heath, IP12 3TA
Upper Hollesley Common, Upper Hollesley Common, IP12 3HU
Slaughden, Aldeburgh, IP15 6DE
Thorpe Road, Aldeburgh, IP16 4NR
Belvedere Road, Lowestoft, NR33 0PR
Clifflands, Felixstowe, IP11 9SJ
Landguard, Felixstowe, IP11 3TW
Manor Terrace, Felixstowe, IP11 2EN
Harbour Quay East, Southwold, IP18 6TA
Southwold Pier, Southwold, IP18 6BN

The primary reason motor caravans cannot use the remainder of the parking places is that they are marked with bays sized for motor cars and motorcycles only. When a motor caravan parks in a motor car bay, it restricts the ability for adjacent bays to be used because drivers and passengers cannot access/egress vehicles.

Whilst other local authorities are restricting areas and increasing capacity for motor vehicles, including motor caravans, this year, remaining timescales simply do not allow this council to make changes to planning permissions and parking management orders. However, it is something we will be considering for future years.

I trust this information assists.”

Kind regards,
Lewis

Lewis Boudville | Transport, Infrastructure and Parking Services Manager
East Suffolk Council.

Lewis.Boudville@eastsuffolk.gov.uk

My reply....

“ Hello Lewis

It is good to hear some positive news from you, and I’ll be looking at those car parking areas you’ve listed. It is encouraging to know that other groups of vehicles are given consideration, like motorbikes and disabled.

In truth every other type of vehicle is considered, except motorhomes/campervans; taxis and busses get lanes and parking areas, lorries and vans get loading bays, coaches have coach parks, tho few are in action recently. Boating people get marinas, free moorings, launching ramps and yacht stations. Bicyclists have been campaigning for years and now have their own lanes and parking racks; the homeless have night shelters, dog owners have their own bins, children have play grounds.... even Travellers are provided for here.

Motorhomers who come to shop and explore like other tourists cannot stay remotely on a campsite as they don’t have a car, but they do spend money when they can, and so they shouldn’t be denied access. Their 24 hours in a parking space can probably charged so they pay the same as a car, which is only there 5-6 hours max?

Anyway, I thought I’d send you this link to an article we, at CAMpRA, came across today https://theweekendwarriors.co.uk/campra ... 2AaFjYiNYg It is well written and makes good sense. It has generated a huge amount of interest in our campaign with membership applications coming in solidly all day.

Today Great Yarmouth BID is sending out their e-newsletter to members with a piece about Motorhome Tourism, with a link to a page on our website, which will greet members with a 5 question survey. Visit East Of England is to do the same too soon. It will tell us more about hospitality and tourism businesses’ thoughts on the potential income they might gain by welcoming motorhomers to towns and villages across East Anglia, and at the East’s biggest tourist destination.

So, we are pretty sure that councils will soon see that sensible planning for motorhome Tourism will bring better control/management for touring vehicles, spending in the local economy and less Staycation Chaos this summer. Empty car parks at night time don’t generate any income but motorhomers do!

I spent Tuesday afternoon and night at a coastal pub enjoying their first day open tasting their local ales, and a superb meal delivered to my table in own ‘dining room’! The money goes into their business to aid recovery from Covid Closure rather than into a campsite that makes its profits in half a year. When they close they prevent us from reaching the facilities needed to empty our waste tanks and bins, and top up with fresh water. They could help much more.

Any help you can give in encouraging local businesses to provide 1) space in sports/leisure clubs car parks and visitor attractions... or 2) car-wash businesses/fuel stations... to look into providing those service points, would be much appreciated. We are only a volunteer group, doing all we can to find out the facts and present them in a responsible way. And these tourism bodies in our region are doing what they can now.”

Cheers
Charles
Kirstylj78

Re: East Suffolk Council

Post by Kirstylj78 »

I'd like to say re. the size of parking bays - in two of the car parks listed: Aldeburgh Thorpe Road and Slaughden, there are no marked bays. I live in Aldeburgh and these carparks would be perfect for overnight stays.

The real issue is the campsite owner in Aldeburgh joined the town council and has managed to get parking restrictions for motorhomes/campers.

I really hope that Campra can help sort this issue out as there are loads of places that would be perfect for overnight stops in this area. It may be worth looking into Leiston and petitioning them for overnight stops to feed into the local economy there.

I would really like to help in some way.
Steve

Post by Steve »

What about a circular to the local businesses telling them we want to support them but the council are stopping us?
Maybe a local business will allow overnight stays?
1 motorcaravan can stay for up to 2 nights without any requirements for a site license.
We can issue exemption certificates for up to 5 motorcaravans.
Get the local,shops and restaurants to support you.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Biggarmac

Post by Biggarmac »

This has just been posted on another forum:-
I have learnt that East Suffolk Council has banned all motorhomes over 5.5 m long from parking in all of their coastal car parks from Lowestoft to Felixtowe.

This is absurd given that the country is trying to recover from covid 19 by opening up and generally encouraging visitors to come and spend money in staycation holidays.

I encourage everyone to lobby the council and try to get them to change their mind
Steve

Post by Steve »

This is not correct, they are banning all vehicles over 5.5m long in some car parks where the bays are not suitable for long vehicles.
This is not targeted at motorcaravans and is being miss quoted on Facebook
Steve

Post by Steve »

8E79B09F-9392-40B6-AAB6-25F700CE7F2A.jpeg
8E79B09F-9392-40B6-AAB6-25F700CE7F2A.jpeg (453.8 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
CShel

Post by CShel »

Our attention this morning was on an update in the East Suffolk Council’s website parking page on 12 new changes to parking off-road. However, it does not include sleeping inside.

http://www.eastsuffolk.gov.uk/news/larg ... car-parks/

The Story was picked up by the Eastern Daily Press, and I have responded to both, saying this is good news, but it did not go far enough, as sleeping inside is necessary if occupants are to spend money in pubs and restaurants..

The reporter is reece.hanson@archant.co.uk
The council operations chief is Kerry Blair kerry.blair@eastsuffolk.gov.uk
Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

@Kirsty. If you have a campsite owner on the local council then he is an ideal target. Why not write to him, pointing out that he could actually make extra income from motorhomes by allowing them to pay to empty waste and fill with wate. Also point out that he could receive this income and more if he were to provide these services all year round , along with overnight parking (no facilities needed). Might also be worth educating him that campsites and aires cater for different markets - just as B&Bs cater for different markets from 5* hotels, and I'm sure he wouldn't act to prevent a B&B opening in his town ....
Jes2021

Post by Jes2021 »

This council is at best confused about MH and campervans. Its parking policies are chaotic.

In March 2021 mid lockdown they refused a renewal of my parking permit. I live in the area in a pedestrian area and had held a permit for my van for years. The parking prices have gone through the roof eg increased from 350gbp pa to 650gbp pa. I paid for my renewal only to get a parking ticket the following day saying the type of vehicle could no longer be parked. I would have expected them to contact me directly and in advance of such a significant change, but no. Their attitude was awful, they initially gave me 2 days to move the van even though there is no other space to move it to and the car park where it was parked is virtually empty over night and never full during the day. I ended up having to sell my van because of this.

Whilst it is great to have some sports to park it is not just day parking that is needed. This is another example of how East Suffolk just do not get it when it comes to vans and MH.
Jes2021

Post by Jes2021 »

Biggarmac wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:56 pm This has just been posted on another forum:-
I have learnt that East Suffolk Council has banned all motorhomes over 5.5 m long from parking in all of their coastal car parks from Lowestoft to Felixtowe.

This is absurd given that the country is trying to recover from covid 19 by opening up and generally encouraging visitors to come and spend money in staycation holidays.

I encourage everyone to lobby the council and try to get them to change their mind
Not just Lowestoft and Felixstowe but elsewhere as well. You can no longer park in Halesworth a market town which would welcome visitors to its shops. This probably applies to other towns as well. I have found the council stubborn, slow and unhelpful