British Waterways & Canals Trust Facilities

General Information post not for specific country or area
Jmick

British Waterways & Canals Trust Facilities

Post by Jmick »

Does anyone know what the situation is regarding motorhome/campervan owners using the British Waterways Trust services? Keys are readily available to purchase online/at their offices to access their locked Elsan/fresh water/toilet facilites. It seems a shame if responsible van users are not invited to use these facilities (especially if accessible by road) - even if a small UK-wide joining fee was requested??

(I sent the following enquiry to the Trust today and will update if/when I hear back: "Has the Canal River Trust any objections to touring motorcaravaners obtaining a key to access the Trust's Elsan/waste/toilet facilities which are situated around the UK? Maybe a small charge could be made each time a non-boat user made use of these facilities? Due to the increase in staycations, this would benefit both the motorcaravaners and the Trust. I look forward to hearing from you.")
Madcaravanner

Re: British Waterways & Canals Trust Facilities

Post by Madcaravanner »

I am a canal user

SO as far as I am aware the Canal facilities are for Boating use only and although you can buy a key on Ebay they are for boaters only APPARENTLY it appears that you can be fined for using them for other use

To be honest very few I have seen I would actually like to use

There are lots of marinas that are now independent of CRT it would be better to approach them with regard to setting up aires some have already set up as CL's or CS's on a clear piece of adjacent land
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Jmick

Post by Jmick »

Received this reply today....so that's a "no" then 🙄. I'm planning on replying to the effect that most motorcaravan users would not be averse to paying a reasonable fee to fill up with water, empty black/grey waste - thus helping their 'charitable trust'. In fact, why do boaters enjoy the opportunity to set up a charitable trust, but motorcaravanners with road tax insurance and MOT do not? Oh well 🤷.

Hello Janet,

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us. Apologies for the delay in our reply.

I'm afraid that, as a navigational Trust, our facilities are exclusive to boaters and wouldn't be suitable for other use, unfortunately. This query has been raised previously but, as a charitable organization, the Trust is simply not able to dispose of the funds to allow for other uses.

I hope you understand but please contact back if there is anything else we can do for you.

Best wishes,
Clara diniz

Customer Service Advisor

T 0303 040 4040

E customer.services@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Canal & River Trust
Steve

Post by Steve »

It seems they have missed the point we are not asking them to spend the trusts money?
Are cars boats? So by that logic they cannot spend their funds on creating car parks?
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Jmick

Post by Jmick »

I agree. I sent them this reply. Why is the promotion and defence of motorhoming so fraught with prejudice and difficulty 😕!

Thank you so much for replying Clara.

It is such a shame that motorcaravanners cannot contribute to the Trust, even on a small scale in the form of payment to use your water/waste points.

Like boat owners, motorcaravanners like to use their mode of transport for living and travelling in (some permanently, some for leisure). Unfortunately, during this last 18 months, motorcaravanners have become almost demonised and shunned from many places in the UK (I am not talking about the Traveller Community - I realise that subject may have separate connotations - but holiday makers and 'vanlifers'). We are prohibited from parking overnight in many places - public car parks uncluded - and we certainly do not have water/waste facilities provided. The freedom to move around the UK yet still enjoy basic human rights has been eroded for motorcaravan owners in the UK. It would be a real 'positive' if your Trust could recognise us as fellow alternative lifestyle members of society and support us in this small way.

I really hope the Trust re-thinks their position on this - it could be a win-win, providing extra funds for the Trust and enabling access to much needed water/waste facilities for motorcaravanners .

Thank you for taking the time to reconsider my request.

Kind regards.

Janet Micklethwaite