East Anglia
Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
CShel

Great Yarmouth’s new growth plan Dec 2020

Post by CShel »

Great Yarmouth council has launched its new growth plan ‘Our Town Is Your Stage’, but it doesn’t recognise Motorhome Tourism as a valuable income stream for the local economy.
The council says they have no plans to make any off-road parking areas for motorhomes and campervans, and feels that the out of town holiday parks offer sufficient provision.
We need to get together and hammer home that our ‘Strategy For Motorhome Tourism In The UK’ plan should be incorporated into their economic growth strategy ASAP.

https://www.futuregreatyarmouth.co.uk - this is the website showing their plans in all their glory.

[Today, 17/12/20, attachment=0]93377527-F56A-4C80-93AE-90E544B80CCC.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
93377527-F56A-4C80-93AE-90E544B80CCC.jpeg
93377527-F56A-4C80-93AE-90E544B80CCC.jpeg (240.43 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
Grey Wanderer

Re: Great Yarmouth’s new growth plan Dec 2020

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Perhaps they will see the potential better when they see the opportunities in relation to a coastal touring route, and sense they may be missing out on something once other boroughs start to nibble. Influencing county and regional tourist bodies first may help?
Campermark71

Post by Campermark71 »

I think GYBC are a little anti MH and campervan as most of the car parks have height barriers or have a sign prohibiting these vehicles although if you fit under the barrier and in a parking space they dont question you.

They must see how many motorhomes and campers visit Great Yarmouth by the amount that are parked most days on North Drive, which for those that dont know is from the Haven Seashore holiday park to the mini roundabout near Brittania Pier. A lot overnight along there for one night only and dont get bothered even though there are signs saying No Overnight Parking.

Some MH's etc park up the other end past the pleasure beach up by the industrial area and from what ive seen some of them stay for a long time and take root so these are the ones that spoil it for the rest of us and most likely put the council off from encouraging Motorhomes etc. The ones that park on North Drive usually only stay one night so they are model clients as it were.

Finally another factor which a lot of councils in the area got very scared about was when a large group of rowdy travellers invaded Cromer in August 2017 causing lots of problems which escalated into others getting involved in the violence as well. NNDC and the Holkham Estate banned any vehicle that was capable of being slept in from parking in any of their car parks for over a year for fear of something like this happening again. Thankfully most, if not all, of the bans have now been lifted but what happened in 2017 is still very much lurking in the background. A lot appealed against the ban, myself included, on the basis that travellers generally dont travel round in motorhomes or campervans!

I would just like to point out that my last paragraph is not a dig at Travellers as it could easily have been any community causing the trouble but in this instance over 75% of the troublemakers reportedly came from a convoy of travellers that arrived earlier in the day at East Runton road car park. Most of the travelling community are polite law abiding citizens but there are always exceptions.
CShel

Post by CShel »

I’ve received an encouraging reply from the Head of Great Yarmouth’s Tourism & Business Improvement Area, and responded accordingly with some suggestions.

“Charles

Thank you for sending this through, and highlighting the value of motorhomes to the economy. It was interesting reading, and enhanced my understanding. I can assure you Great Yarmouth does welcome motor homes, but I do understand that we may not do this perfectly. Europe does indeed operate very differentlyin regard to motorhomes, and a cultural change toward the motorhome sector, would benefit Tourism in the UK. The fact that you have brought a significant number of members under one organisation will help, get your message across.

Our organisation has no direct control over the public realm in Great Yarmouth, but should you have a specific change you would like to see in Great Yarmouth, please let me know and if it is possible, we can look at it.

I am sure you appreciate, that at the moment our priorities are with covid and lockdown support.

On a last note, your East Anglia route is a nice idea and I am sure this will gain interest from motorhome owners.

best regards

Asa

Asa Morrison
Executive Director
Greater Yarmouth Tourism
& Business Improvement
Area (GYTABIA)
www.gyta.com
asa@gyta.com
Steve

Post by Steve »

Well not rejecting or really supporting the idea.
Do we have a specific location in mind? If we have a site that coukd be developed by CCP we can get them to approach them with a specific plan.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Campermark71

Post by Campermark71 »

Steve wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:40 pm Well not rejecting or really supporting the idea.
Do we have a specific location in mind? If we have a site that coukd be developed by CCP we can get them to approach them with a specific plan.
Steve,
I agree its a very 'standard' and very typical of bodies like this. Basically they would have to go to, in this case, GYBC for approval which i can almost guarantee will say no to motorhomes.
The piece that says 'I can assure you Great Yarmouth does welcome motorhomes' is total rubbish as GYBC do everything they can to keep them out of car parks both on the seafront and in town. The only places that motohomes do park are those that cannot have height barriers etc such as the side of the road!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maybe worth the “Are you ready for Easter staycation” letter?
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Campermark71

Post by Campermark71 »

Steve wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:22 pm Maybe worth the “Are you ready for Easter staycation” letter?
Its worth a try but believe me GYBC are so anti MH/CV that they will do anything in their power to keep them away. I think a lot of it was the happenings in cromer a few years ago plus some of the coachbuilts are massive so take up a lot of space so perhaps to be fair to everyone they just ban the lot!
CShel

Re: Great Yarmouth stopover sites identified

Post by CShel »

I have put photos of two ideal sites in GY the Photos section, and identify them as
1) Beside the Bure River Footbridge between railway (and Asda) and the Conge (street to town market place (and Aldi)
It is wasteland currently used to store a few cars that are for sale. Owned by GYBC. It’s ideal for 10+ vans. Ground needs tidying up. Perfect for CCP.

No services there but there’s a carwash business on the other side of river nearby, 5 mins away.

2) This is the wasteland area beside the Wellington Pier, and owned by this Pier business, closed at present.
It would accommodate 5 - 8 vans. No services on site.

Services could be provided at two disused public toilet blocks in town, photos on the same section.

Comments about how to proceed are by GYTABIA Exec Dir, Asa Morrison
35E925CF-167D-4079-8CB6-CD6E2AC93187.jpeg
35E925CF-167D-4079-8CB6-CD6E2AC93187.jpeg (164.35 KiB) Viewed 2400 times

The Parking Councillor is Miranda Lee Miranda.Lee@great-yarmouth.gov.uk
Please let her know that MH parking places are needed in town, like other tourists, and side of road is inadequate.
Tell her that local businesses are being deprived of our custom, and that an aire would entice MHs to spend in town