Nottinghamshire
Leicestershire
Rutland
Northamptonshire
Lincolnshire
Sandie Weeks

Matlock Bath & Derbyshire Dales

Post by Sandie Weeks »

An email letter sent today to Barry Lewis (Derbyshire County Council Leader, Cabinet Member - Strategic Leadership, Culture and Tourism).
Copied to Visit Derbyshire, Martin Burfoot (DDDC councillor for Matlock), DDDC carparks dept, and DDDC economic development dept.

Initially in response to a local news article about the council's response to a large traveller encampment on the town's biggest car park. A councillor was quoted in the article as saying that height barriers were likely to be installed once they were moved on, to stop it happening again.

I titled my email " Tourism in the Derbyshire Dales: Matlock Station car park - opportunity or threat?"

I will post any response.

Sandie
Attachments
Station Car park Matlock Bath.pdf
(131.98 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Madcaravanner

Re: Matlock Bath & Derbyshire Dales

Post by Madcaravanner »

Good Luck Sandie

I'm away at present but if you need back up let me know

Though I'm still waiting for responses from my attempts to contact Derbyshire County Council will do what I can

When I get home I am going to try my new councillors
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Sandie Weeks

Post by Sandie Weeks »

No response, other than "it's been passed on to councillors X&Y with the appropriate portfolio" (transport, environment) "subject to AGM" (whatever that means).
Nothing from Visit Derbyshire or the DDDC people copied in.
Will follow up later this week, I think.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Interestingly we have been at Cromford Mill for last two nights, the Mill car park says “campervans £9 for 24 hours”.
We stayed on council car park across the road by the canal no prices for motorcaravans , £4.80 all day to 8pm for motorcycles and cars, £9.60 for HGV and coaches.
No overnight charge and no signs saying no overnight.
The rugby club next door have stopped overnight after travellers took over the car park.
I will be writing to the club as they have an height barrier closed overnight but also parking by thr ground which would make a great Aire.

I will contact Cromford mill about a waste point.
Also took detail of canal restoration society, there is a great place by the old train sheds, 5 bays ideal for an Aire.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

Same area Crich Tramway Village - huge empty carpark at night

Emailed them earlier in the year with NO result

Today accidentally found the CEO's messenger so sent a direct message asking him to get them to contact me and to browse the CAMpRA website to see what they can do

Yet again fingers crossed
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

Well a nice surprise I messaged Crich Tramway and they deny receiving my email (Even though I had an auto response)
AND they asked me to send another email and promised to check for it this time

So email sent and we will wait and see
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Steve

Post by Steve »

Have you sent our new briefing document to the councils and tourism?
I send a short email explaining it has been produced with assistance from visit Wiltshire and includes a link to the town in Ireland who report that their Aire generates €1.5million per year for the town.

This tends to get their attention.

Will pm you some confidential information
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

Steve wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:15 am Have you sent our new briefing document to the councils and tourism?
I send a short email explaining it has been produced with assistance from visit Wiltshire and includes a link to the town in Ireland who report that their Aire generates €1.5million per year for the town.

This tends to get their attention.

Will pm you some confidential information
Hi Steve
Yes have sent the document to my local councillor and she is very helpful, being or the right committee too and has also forwarded to Tourism committee

I've literally just had an email from Crich Tramway general manager to which I have just fired off a quick reply as their answer seemed to indicate they thought we were asking them to RUN a mobile home park not allow us car park access
They also thought the fact that they locked a gate at night was not what we would want

So will let you know the response soon
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

Post script to Crich Tramway

They are adamant that they cannot allow camping due to a clause from Derbyshire county council
and they feel that having the gate locked at night is dangerous

we are not permitted to have overnight camping/caravans as part of our operating license from the local authority, unless as part of our own activities such as a volunteer serving with us. We are allowed a few nights of camping on an adjoining property as part of its planning permission (we have a “house” that provides overnight accommodation for volunteers) but we use that for contractors and other “event” personnel.

“Locking you in” would be inherently dangerous as there would be no way to leave in an emergency (not even by foot) nor could any Police/Ambulance etc. attend on the same basis.

I understand what you are asking and trying to do, but I regret we cannot help at present.

So unfortunately Crich Tramway Museum which has a wonderfully LARGE parking area is a no

DRAT
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Steve

Post by Steve »

Move on to the next opportunity.