Dunnottar Castle Visitor Centre, Stonehaven

Regions In Scotland
GWB

Dunnottar Castle Visitor Centre, Stonehaven

Post by GWB »

Fantastic new planned development of the visitor facilities.

I have previously (last year) been in touch informally to discuss aire provision, which was noted but was not feasible at the time, but I was told to watch this space.

Looks like this is what space I was watching for :-)

https://www.dunnottarcastle.co.uk/visit ... nsultation

Note the dedicated motorhome (& motorbike?!??) area on the parking plan - which happens to be part of the existing parking facilities, coaches if I remember correctly, which are being moved to a new section.

I've already filled out the form to ask for clarification as to whether there will be overnighting permitted and whether there will be any of our usual aire basic facilities installed. I also suggested they may want to incorporate any fee/donation into the castle entry fee or use of the visitor centre facilities.

I'll update here with any response.
arthur49

Re: Dunnottar Castle Visitor Centre, Stonehaven

Post by arthur49 »

Fantastic location, great view. If we can get overnighting there that would be fantastic ....... :)
GWB

Post by GWB »

No response yet, but locally the 'stronger' voices on the local FB chat page is up in arms against the proposal because of the housing element.

Perhaps it's time to highlight the development & the feedback form on our FB group so our community can add their support to the development IF they have overnighting & basic aire facilities as part of the development.

Not so sure I want to do that as a local, Steve? Arthur? I'll add my tuppence worth if someone can start it.
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

I'll have a go at this Gary - I appreciate you're local (some of my ancestors farmed at Dunnottar early 1800s). Is there a Facebook Group I can join to see the local reaction you refer to?
I'll post on CAMpRA FB page asking members to complete the feedback form

EDIT: Gary ignore my request I've found this https://www.facebook.com/groups/3535660586462020
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

I, and it appears a number of others, suggested overnight parking for motorcaravans in the re-development. I attach the Public Consultation document update at 30/11/21 and for ease here is the appropriate section which interests us:
"Motor Homes
Motorhome parking for overnight stopover has been suggested in a number of responses. It is acknowledged that in high pressure areas there is a shortage in the infrastructure to accommodate the needs of motorhomes. Motorhome stopover sites are recommended as a potential solution but
these are intended to be for touring and only for temporary stopovers. A location such as Dunnottar Castle is more of a destination than a stopover and it is considered that this would not be the type of use to encourage on the site. "

I have an email address for further comments dcvc@dunechtestates.co.uk and I will post below my follow up comment
Attachments
2021.11.30-Dunnottar-Public-Feedback.pdf
(187.21 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

My email to Steven Park, Dunecht Estates:

Dear Mr Park

Thank you for the letter regarding consultation feedback. I've also read the Public Feedback dated 30 Nov 21. Being from the NE myself, though now in Perth, I have to say, overall this looks an exciting development. My ancestors 200 years ago, farmed at Dunnottar!

Naturally, I'm disappointed that overnight parking of motorcaravans will not feature in your plans, though it is welcome that you will have dedicated parking for us.

My wife and I are in our early 70s. We tour all year round, at a time when many/most caravan sites are closed. I realise you see Dunnottar as a destination not a stopover but we like to experience both. Arrive on day 1, visit the castle and the centre and stop for the night. The following morning we're off for the next experience, having sampled breakfast in the cafe if available! Why not charge £5/night refundable against one entry ticket?

I am NOT proposing a caravan or camping site. I am proposing a simple space only to stopover. No facilities are needed. Most motorcaravans nowadays are fully self contained with toilet, shower, cooking facilities, and batteries/solar panel to keep the lights and heating working. No need for electric hook up (EHU). Camping behaviour not allowed ie no external tables, chairs, awnings or other paraphernalia common on a caravan or camping site.

We are very experienced motorcaravanners having toured mainland Europe extensively. I'm only too happy to answer any queries you may have, just email or phone me.

Yours sincerely
Arthur Davidson
Tel xxxxxxxxxx