Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
CShel

Beccles Town Council (on the Broads)

Post by CShel »

I have had this response today...

“ Hello Charles

Thank you for your email, and for the interesting proposal. I will discuss this with the Councillor who is Chair of our Assets and Environment Committee to see what her view is. My initial reaction (and I stress that this is just a first take) is that the car park idea has potential. I'm not so sure about the parking space alongside the toilet block, as I think that this would be problematic with regard to the bins.
Anyway, leave it with me and I'll come back to you.”

Regards

Paul
Paul Cunningham
Town Clerk
Beccles Town Council
Town Hall
The Walk
Beccles NR34 9AJ

Please note that the email address for the Town Clerk has changed to TownClerk@beccles.info. Please update your records accordingly.

TownClerk@beccles.info

Telephone 01502 712109
CShel

Re: Beccles Town Council (on the Broads)

Post by CShel »

Despite us at CAMpRA doing well with BPA, this is the response from Beccles …
A holiday destination for Broads boating holidays.
Only a couple of small hotels. No camping sites near by.

“Hello Charles

The idea of using the Quay Car Park for Motorhomes was discussed by Councillors yesterday, but they have decided not to proceed further with this.”

Regards
Paul
Paul Cunningham
Town Clerk
Beccles Town Council
Town Hall
The Walk
Beccles NR34 9AJ

Please note that the email address for the Town Clerk has changed to TownClerk@beccles.info. Please update your records accordingly.

Telephone 01502 712109

I’ve responded…

“ Hello Paul

Thanks for letting me know.
I wonder why the opportunity to help the town benefit from their custom has been turned down? No physical work is needed in the making of it available, and the income could pay for its improvement.
Were the economic development and tourism heads consulted? Won’t the local pubs, restaurants and shops be concerned that they won’t get their business as they can’t drink and drive after a good night out.

CAMpRA has actually been advising the British Parking Association this last week with their investigations on accommodating motorhomes and campervans, as there are so many of them now. BPA represents every car park in the UK, council owned and private, and they advise on policies concerning economic development and tourism at government level.

Their zoom meeting last week had representatives of councils across the country, and all but 2 (Yorkshire and Pembrokeshire) were in favour of allocating motorhome parking bays where reasonable, with Service Points (water and waste facilities) and to allow ‘sleeping, not camping’ in them.

South Hams DC (South Devon) has published on their website it’s intention to implement 9 motorhome sections into key car parks as soon as possible - so it is happening! See this image of their website pages

D5E65836-18B2-4A72-BA97-5789452BA6CA.png
D5E65836-18B2-4A72-BA97-5789452BA6CA.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 396 times

I’m sorry that Beccles could not see the light straightaway. Maybe it’ll catch up once it actually sees how many are driving past the town to spend their time and money elsewhere?

By getting in earlier, Beccles would have been part of the publicity we are building up for the launch of the East Anglia Coastal Tour Route.

The nearest campsites to Beccles are way away. There’s a small CL club 5-van site at Gillingham at £18/n, and the rather nice but very expensive site at Geldeston at £35/night (wow!). So Beccles is hardly likely to see any staycationers, beyond the usual boating visitors, this summer.

The income, I think that would come to Beccles all year round, from Motorhomes is in the region of £327,000 pa.

Maybe you know of some private landowners who would like to open up an area, like Hippersons used to do? What about the boat park opposite, beside the river, which looks pretty quiet now. Who is the owner? We often find marinas/boat parks a good match as boats and motorhomes are similar in their needs and offerings for fun, adventurous travel.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Cheers
Charles”
Steve

Re: Beccles Town Council (on the Broads)

Post by Steve »

Nice response Charles 👍
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team