Department of Media, Culture and Sport

This is a place to post on organisations that cover all of the UK.
Krisryn

Department of Media, Culture and Sport

Post by Krisryn »

Copy of email sent to Department:

Dear Oliver & Nigel,

I am contacting you out of frustration after emailing 22 English County Councils in the last month regarding Motorhome Parking/Provision of Aires (copy of my email below). To date 4 Councils have replied positively, 5 negatively, 9 no answer (!) and 4 with we will get back to you.

Most CCs appear to be missing the point that this is an economic opportunity to tap into a growing market particularly with the surge in Staycations that the Pandemic has caused and not a parking issue that is the responsibility of District/Borough Councils ( pass the buck?). The positive replies have come from CCs such as Dorset that appear to have a proactive mindset to seek out opportunities that benefit their local communities and the Motorhome Community. Win win.

Just by looking at sites such as "Searchforsites" you will see how lacking the U.K. is in the provision of short term overnight parking, with and without facilities. It pains me to say there are over 6000 Aires in France, 3600 in Germany (Stellplatz) and are common in most other European Countries.

Is it not time for the Central Government to take a lead to get some joint up thinking on these issues? Perhaps VisitBritain could take a lead?

I am a member of CAMpRA ( Campaign for Real Aires UK) and you can see our aims and objective by visiting:

www.campra.org.uk

The Leadership team at CAMpRA would be delighted to answer/assist any queries that your Department may have now or in the future.

Kind regards,

Chris Ryan

Reply received:

Mr Chris Ryan
mechrisryan@gmail.com
24 March 2021
Our Ref: TO2021/05891
Dear Mr Ryan,
Thank you for your follow up correspondence of 16 March to the Secretary of State for Digital,
Culture, Media and Sport, the Rt Hon Oliver Dowden CBE MP and the Minister for Sport,
Tourism and Heritage, Nigel Huddleston MP, regarding providing increased facilities and
parking for motorhomes. I am replying as a member of the Ministerial Support Team.
Ultimately, it would not be appropriate for the department to advocate specific campaigns. We
advise that interested individuals hold discussions with local businesses and councils who may
be interested, as I can see you are doing.
Should you have any further queries regarding this matter, we advise that you contact the
Department for Transport, who are responsible for transport planning policy.
More broadly, we know that these are extremely challenging circumstances for tourism. We are
listening to the sector's concerns, and we are closely monitoring the situation.
The Global Travel Taskforce last year committed the government to publish a Tourism
Recovery Plan in support of the sector. The government intends to set out proposals in the
Spring, including plans for a marketing campaign to welcome visitors back to the UK as soon
as it is safe to do so.
We will continue to engage with tourism stakeholders via the Tourism Industry Council to
assess how we can most effectively support the sector's recovery. In the meantime, I
encourage tourism businesses and workers to explore all aspects of the government's
economic support package.
I hope this information is helpful.
Yours sincerely,
Suzie Carney
Ministerial Support Team

I also asked my MP to write to the Department on my behalf and tis is the reply that he has forwarded to me!!

Iain Stewart MP
iain.stewart.mp@parliament.uk
20 April 2021
Our Ref:
MC2021/06100/JL
Dear Iain,
Thank you for your correspondence of 19 March to the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture,
Media and Sport, the Rt Hon Oliver Dowden CBE MP, on behalf of your constituent, Mr Chris
Ryan of ******, regarding providing increased
facilities and parking for motorhomes. I am replying as the Minister for Sport and Tourism.
Ultimately, we advise that interested individuals hold discussions with local businesses and
councils who may be interested.
Should you have any further queries of central government regarding this matter, we advise
that you contact the Department for Transport, who are responsible for transport planning
policy.
More broadly, we know that these are extremely challenging circumstances for tourism. We are
listening to the sector's concerns, and we are closely monitoring the situation. We are also
listening to the sector's priority for reopening and recovery.
The Global Travel Taskforce last year committed the government to publish a Tourism
Recovery Plan in support of the sector. The government intends to set out proposals in the
spring, including plans for a marketing campaign to welcome visitors back to the UK as soon as
it is safe to do so.
We will continue to engage with tourism stakeholders via the Tourism Industry Council to
assess how we can most effectively support the sector's recovery. In the meantime, I
encourage tourism businesses and workers to explore all aspects of the government's
economic support package.
Thank you again for your letter.
Nigel Huddleston MP
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Sport and Tourism
Eddiey

Re: Department of Media, Culture and Sport

Post by Eddiey »

Congratulations, that is a very high number of responses, I would be delighted with those!

Don't despair, keep it going and together we will get there.

Target the ones you think might bend a little and send them more information and facts. If you need any support, such as more people to write in to them, ask on Facebook.
If you haven't already team up with people in your area.