Cumbria
Cheshire
Greater Manchester
Lancashire
Merseyside
Grey Wanderer

Update on Cumbria

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Latest on Cumbrian Coastal Tour and places to stay.

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Overnight Parking for Motorcaravans in Cumbria
Date: 21 April 2021 at 12:46:26 BST
To: Gemma Procter , Sandra Baines

HI Gemma and Sandra

Now that the touring season is already upon us I would appreciate a follow-up on the progress you have made in Cumbria on touring routes and overnight locations for motor caravans.

Now that Lockdown is easing I am increasingly getting asked when and where the information on overnight parking and cassette disposal/water supply locations will be coming out on your websites. So far we are only able to find campsites, toilets and recycling stations in the 'van life' section on the Cumbria Tourism site. I know you have been hard at work on developing new locations and it would be good to have the information so that it can be made accessible on all the social media sites that motor caravanners use as they travel; many are already packing up their vans and setting off, including myself.

A while back Gemma you suggested Campra’s campaign for Aires only represents a small minority of motorhomers. We are purely a campaign group not a motorhome or club or chat group, and as in any sector only a minority can put in the time or have the skills to actively campaign, albeit they have the support of many. I can assure you we have the support of many other motorcaravan clubs and organisations. Those with whom we have formal mutual support arrangements include Motorcaravanners Club 11,400 members, Motorhome Fun 48,000 members, Camping car Parks 460,000 members throughout UK and Europe, Self Build Campervans 297,000, Search For Sites 154,000 members, not to mention the encouragement of other groups for whom our activities are inherently of mutual interest including such as CAMOGG 14,500, Campervan Overnight Parking 114,300, Park4Night 2.5 million users throughout UK and Europe, UK Pub Stopovers for Motorhomes 88,000 and many more. Following a Zoom meeting this week we also have enlisted the support of a 77 out of 79 of the attending members of the British Parking Association, and have started discussions with MiPermit (Chipside) who can provide non-contact charging systems for Aires in Rural and Urban locations.

Of course there is some overlap in these numbers as some people are in more than one group, nevertheless I think this demonstrates the demand for Aires does not relate to a tiny minority.

Regards
Ian Lones

Sent from my iPhone
Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re: Overnight Parking for Motorcaravans in Cumbria
Date: 21 April 2021 at 15:07:55 BST
To: Gemma Procter

Hi Gemma

Thanks for the update and all the work so far; looking forward to seeing the result of your labours. Sadly in times of Covid nothing seems to run smoothly.

I’m afraid the unruly minority are as frustrating to us as they are to locals. Doubly frustrating in that whereas in areas such as traffic offences and other criminal activity it is the guilty minority that get caught and punished not the well behaved majority. It is indeed contrary to fundamental principles of British Law for the many to be punished from the crimes of a few. Disappointingly motorhomers seem to be singled out for a more prejudicial standard of treatment.

I’ll most certainly ensure your information and guidance gets passed on, it is in all or interests.

Regards
Ian

On 21 Apr 2021, at 13:25, Gemma Procter wrote:

Afternoon Ian,

We are currently still working on the #vanlife section of the website. The collating of the information for sites around the county and gaining permissions to use this information has been a longer process than anticipated. We have had a slightly disappointing response. Due to COVID and the antisocial behaviour of some Motorhome/campervan owners over lockdown, some sites are reluctant to be involved.

We hope to have a downloadable map of locations live on the website by the end of next week. These include existing sites who offer no minimum night stays and basic facilities, alongside more informal options.

In terms of waste disposal, this section is also under development. Again, a lot of sites are reducing their access to waste facilities as they see it as a COVID risk. As a result, we are discussing alternative options to be provided on a trial basis. Hopefully, there should be a relatively quick turnaround on this.

Due to people breaching lockdown rules, Cumbria Tourism have had to be more heavily involved in more direct visitor management over the last few weeks, which has added additional pressure to resources. This has led to a delay in our new routes being published, however we hope to get these live in the next couple of weeks.

We are aware that your members are highly unlikely to be involved in antisocial camping, however the behaviour of a few is sadly having a negative impact on the perception of motorhome owners in general.

I would really appreciate it if you could push out information regarding our code of conduct, new sites and touring routes as soon as they are ready, to help us re-enforce that the majority of users are responsible and respectful of our local communities and environment.

Regards

Gemma
Sent: 21 April 2021 12:46
To: Gemma Procter cumbriatourism; Sandra Baines barrowbc
Subject: Overnight Parking for Motorcaravans in Cumbria

HI Gemma and Sandra

Now that the touring season is already upon us I would appreciate a follow-up on the progress you have made in Cumbria on touring routes and overnight locations for motor caravans.

Now that Lockdown is easing I am increasingly getting asked when and where the information on overnight parking and cassette disposal/water supply locations will be coming out on your websites. So far we are only able to find campsites, toilets and recycling stations in the 'van life' section on the Cumbria Tourism site. I know you have been hard at work on developing new locations and it would be good to have the information so that it can be made accessible on all the social media sites that motor caravanners use as they travel; many are already packing up their vans and setting off, including myself.

A while back Gemma you suggested Campra’s campaign for Aires only represents a small minority of motorhomers. We are purely a campaign group not a motorhome or club or chat group, and as in any sector only a minority can put in the time or have the skills to actively campaign, albeit they have the support of many. I can assure you we have the support of many other motorcaravan clubs and organisations. Those with whom we have formal mutual support arrangements include Motorcaravanners Club 11,400 members, Motorhome Fun 48,000 members, Camping car Parks 460,000 members throughout UK and Europe, Self Build Campervans 297,000, Search For Sites 154,000 members, not to mention the encouragement of other groups for whom our activities are inherently of mutual interest including such as CAMOGG 14,500, Campervan Overnight Parking 114,300, Park4Night 2.5 million users throughout UK and Europe, UK Pub Stopovers for Motorhomes 88,000 and many more. Following a Zoom meeting this week we also have enlisted the support of a 77 out of 79 of the attending members of the British Parking Association, and have started discussions with MiPermit (Chipside) who can provide non-contact charging systems for Aires in Rural and Urban locations.

Of course there is some overlap in these numbers as some people are in more than one group, nevertheless I think this demonstrates the demand for Aires does not relate to a tiny minority.

Regards
Ian
Gibbo

Re: Update on Cumbria

Post by Gibbo »

These signs have recently been put up in Arnside:

Caroline Caudwell, Clerk to Arnside Parish Council said:

The current signs are a polite request by the Parish Council on behalf of the residents of the village. These signs will very soon be replaced by the legally enforceable ones from Cumbria County Council which are the result of a long and thorough consultation with the public about the Traffic Regulation Order (TRO).

The County Council as the proper highways authority can and will penalise offenders.
pauls59@yahoo.co.uk

Post by pauls59@yahoo.co.uk »

The County Council say, this was as a Polite request by the Parish Council on hehalf of residents of the village, and following public consultation. These will be replaced by Legally enforecable signage, which is a result of a long and thorough consultation with the public.

How thorough a consultation did they have ?

Did they consult with the two pubs, the chip & fish shop, and any other businesses in the area, who are going to loose trade ?

Did they consult with motorhome owners,their groups or CAMpRA ?
P Simpson
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

I tried to get details of the consultation but got no reply from the Parish Clerk.
Jmick

Contacting Councils

Post by Jmick »

I'm in a similar position as yourself: I am currently communicating with Scarborough BC re overnight parking of & sleeping in motorcaravans - SBC being another very large tourist area who have a blanket ban on overnight parking for us in vans. Of the 40 or so Councillors I emailed, only 4 have replied so far - two of which were very positive (stating the situation is under review and hoping to have some news very soon), and then another reply quoting "the law on motor homes comes under Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960...... until changes are made to the act it is Law". Very unclear what he means by "it is law", and why many Councils/LAs around the UK are managing to circumvent this 'law' and actually provide overnight parking+sleeping in their car parks. It's all very exasperating.
Gibbo

Post by Gibbo »

pauls59@yahoo.co.uk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:10 pm Did they consult with the two pubs, the chip & fish shop, and any other businesses in the area, who are going to loose trade ?
I know exactly what you mean. I live within a reasonable driving distance (approx. 90 mins) from Arnside, but its great to relax, have a few drinks after a meal at the pubs or the chippy and just stay over. The village and pubs are dead after the day tourists leave at 6pm.
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Problem with Arnside it is within the Arnside and Silverdale AONB for which the local plan says quite categorically no more facilities for camping or Caravanning will be permitted. Since the incident I mentioned local hostility to MHs is high, even with local MH owners. So I confess I’ve turned my attentions elsewhere…heads and brick walls come to mind.