Cumbria
Cheshire
Greater Manchester
Lancashire
Merseyside
Mrsmc219

Forest of Bowland Tour

Post by Mrsmc219 »

I had a really good phone call with Tom Pridmore who is the Ribble Valley Tourism and events officer today.
We discussed what Aires and service points are and how they fit into his RV tourism destination management plan and the Response and Recovery plan for Tourism and Hospitality.
He says we are pushing on an open door as the council had been discussing encouraging Motorhomers and were planning an email out to local businesses to see if they were interested in exploring possibilities.
I have emailed him the strategy document and related papers and we have agreed to liaise on businesses / organizations that may be interested and development of the Forest of Bowland tour.
I will give him a week or so then contact him again
Steve

Re: Forest of Bowland Tour

Post by Steve »

Well done thats great news, don’t forget to share the link to our business hub:
https://campra.org.uk/business-hub/

And tell them about MF exemption for 5 van sites
Online application form :

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/support/ ... exemption/
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Mrsmc219

Post by Mrsmc219 »

Progress so far:

Information sent to the following:
Ribble valley Tourism Association
Ribble Valley borough council Tourism officer
Mrs Dowsons Farm park
Clitheroe auction Mart
Gisburn auction mart
Waddington parish council
James Alpes motorhome rental
Jepsons motorhome rental

Also trying to get a phone call with the chairman of Clitheroe rugby club.

The Ribble Valley tourism officer has read all the documents and is very impressed by the work you have done. He has asked for a meeting to discuss how we can work together on developing a strategy for expanding services for motorhomes. He says he also has some ideas for a SOTHO so fingers crossed.

I’m starting in Clitheroe and then will start working outwards.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Not sure of your name?
But our leadership would be happy to join a zoom meeting if you can arrange it?
Mrsmc219

Post by Mrsmc219 »

It’s Deborah!

I’d spoken to him before I saw this but I will make the offer to him by email.
Mrsmc219

Post by Mrsmc219 »

Update

1) Ribble Valley tourism Association in conjunction with the Ribble Valley Borough council have included an article about CAMPRA and the provision of Aires in their tourism newsletter. This includes a link to the CAMPRA business hub and the strategy document. Anyone interested is being encouraged to contact CAMPRA if they need further information or support.

2) Contact made with both Clitheroe Auction Mart and Gisburn Auction Mart and emails with documents and link to the business hub sent to both. Gisburn have expressed some interest but are very limited on what days they could make available due to Sales days but he was going to talk to Hawes Auction mart who are already offering some overnight parking and see what their experience was like. No reply yet from Clitheroe but still chasing

3) Had a conversation with Chairman of Clitheroe Rugby club who asked to see some information by email - no response yet but I'll follow up with him next week

4) emails sent to Waddington parish council - re sports ground and Hurst Green memorial hall committee - no response yet

5) Letter sent to Deanfield Car wash Clitheroe, Kay Group filling stations and Euro Garages re provision of service points.
Kay group have expressed interest and are meeting with campaign team, no response from other two

6) Letter sent to plant manager at Hansons Cement West Bradford re overnight parking in car park - no response as yet.

7) Telephone call to Bashall Barn - nr Waddington to see if he was interested in looking at more formal Aire facility as he currently allows overnighting. He informed me that they have shut the farm shop and are building up the wedding venue side and intend to stop offering stop overs at the end of this year as it does not fit with the new business model.

8) Email sent to Shireburn park - holiday park - Clitheroe re provision of an aire - no response yet

9) Telephone call to developers of Pendle View Holiday Park in Barrow re including an Aire in their plans for development. Spoke to the manager Joshua Hocki who was interested in receiving some information so email sent.

10) E mails sent to the managers of Foxfields hotel Billington and Mytton Fold Hotel and golf club Langho re income stream from providing overnight parking - no response as yet

I have got some more things to follow up next week :

I've been given contact details for the Head of Car parks at Ribble Valley Borough Council.

Gisburn forest Hub - Managed by Forestry England - Been given contact by RV Tourism officer

Beacon Fell Visitor Centre - Managed by Lancashire County council - Been given contact by RV Tourism officer

Brockholes Nature reserve - Managed by Lancashire Wildlife Trust

West Bradford Village Hall, Dunsop Bridge Village Hall, Slaidburn Village hall

Pubs - The Eagle at Barrow and the Red pump Inn at Bashall Eaves

Huntleys Farm shop Samlesbury near Preston

Slow progress but I keep slugging away!
Steve

Post by Steve »

I wish more members were a 10% as proactive we would have a fantastic campaign. Well done keep it up.

Just a comment on the wedding venue stopping overnight, why? We are due to go to a wedding moved to ne t year and we are stopping over in our campervan.

Its perfect for guests! and most weddings are at weekends so its an additional income stream.
Mrsmc219

Post by Mrsmc219 »

Latest update - I have been really busy but feel like I'm getting nowhere!

Followed up with Clitheroe Rugby club - they are meeting tonight and it is on the agenda for consideration.

I spoke to the Lancashire County Council Countryside officer Tim Blythe who was very open to the idea and said that he had heard about the trial at Kielder and that the feedback was positive. - I have sent him through the strategy document and the link to the Business hub and identified a couple of sites that may be suitable ( Beacon Fell Country park and Spring Wood Whalley) and he then chipped in a few that he had been thinking about.
He is on leave for a week and says he will review it and come back to us .

Emailed the following village halls that have car parking available

West Bradford,
Bashall Eaves
Longridge Civic Hall
Dunsop bridge Village hall
Knowle Green Village hall
Slaidburn Village hall
Tosside Community Hall

No reply from any as yet but I will try and follow up.

Emailed the following farm shops - No reply from any as yet

Huntleys Farm shop- Samlesbury
Little Town Farm shop - Longridge
Chipping farm shop
Leagrams Cheese - farm shop

Telephoned Waddow Hall - Girl guiding and out door adventure sites - Space in car parks already limited but sent them details

Emailed Browsholme Hall at Bashall Eaves

I also telephoned the Car parks manager at Ribble Valley borough Council. He should be a builder as he was certainly chucking up walls all around.
He started saying the by laws would not allow it but eventually explained that the council made the by laws and could change them. He then explained that the locals wouldn't like it and I explained that I was a local and eventually he said that he would only talk to us if one of the councillors asked him to.

Not to be deterred I then emailed every councillor on RVBC and asked for their support to ensure that it was at least considered. I have had a few replies from councillors saying that they will pursue it at their next sub committee meeting so I will chase that up later.

So lots of action but no results as yet so slow progress.

There seems no point working on a Forest of Bowland tour unless we can identify some service points and overnight stops so I'll keep plugging away.
Mrsmc219

Post by Mrsmc219 »

Brockholes Nature reserve ( Lancashire Wildlife Trust) - have come back to me today to say that they are unable to offer overnight parking as because they are a nature reserve they are required to have the gates locked every night and they have been advised that this would not allow access for any emergency vehicles for overnighters should this be required and would therefore pose an unacceptable risk. This kind of made sense to me as the gate is some way from the parking zone.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Depends if there is access if not then it could be an issue, normally emergency vehicles ned to get within 90m but they often have a means of access anyway.