Nottinghamshire
Leicestershire
Rutland
Northamptonshire
Lincolnshire
Steve

Cresswell Crags visitor centre

Post by Steve »

Interesting chat with these and they are very keen on the idea of an Aire.
Asked to send details to the manager next week 🤞🤞
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
LincolnLizzie1

Re: Cresswell Crags visitor centre

Post by LincolnLizzie1 »

This is a wonderful place to visit and an aire here would be great. Play park, lovely walks and I recommend the cave tours, so interesting. Also handy for Clumber Park
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

Sounds great. Maybe you could pop in & add weight to Steve's I initial discussions?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Email sent

Extra Income for the Creswell Heritage Trust.

Good morning ,
I hope you don’t mind me contacting you, as I was given your email address by Lucy when we spoke a few days ago.

I live nearby in Derbyshire, and am a director with a company called CAMpRA (Campaign for Real Aires), find us on Facebook, we are a Not For Profit company. We are a group of nearly 24,000 volunteers, our aim is simply to help establish Aires (parking areas for motorhomes) in the UK, just as they have enjoyed for decades in Europe, where there are over 13,000 Aires and to promote the financial benefits to the local economy.

We were hoping to call in and see you in person but unfortunately whilst touring the area in our motorcaravan we were not able to find an available overnight stop locally, this highlights the potential of utilising your site as an Aire.
Having spoken to some of our members they have all stated that they would definitely visit Creswell Crags if allowed to stay overnight.
The information below will explain the idea with links to two short videos but of cause I would welcome an opportunity to discuss this with you and answer any questions that you may have.

What is an Aire?
(10) CAMPRA - Campaign for Real Aires - Helping to get more stop-overs in the UK - Motorhome, Campervan. - YouTube
Simply a level piece of ground where a motorhome can park overnight.
If possible it could have a waste disposal point for black (toilet) and grey water and a tap.
Also a fresh water tap and rubbish bin if possible.

As motorhomes are self contained with their own fresh water, grey water tanks and a cassette for toilet waste they need to replenish supplies every 3 to 4 days.
They also have leisure batteries and solar panels for power so electric hook up is not a necessity.
(10) Using Stop-overs and Aires - What do you need in your van? - Being Self Contained - YouTube

In Europe Aires are a much welcome extra source of revenue as they attract motorhome visitors to areas they might never visit, where they spend their money in the local economies, as Aires are mostly situated close to towns, villages, sports clubs, municipal buildings, museums and businesses.

You probably know from the media that there is a massive lack of parking for the 390,000 + motorhomes in the UK and Northumberland is no exception, this is now highlighted even more by Staycation, and Creswell Crags is a perfect place for an Aire stopover.
You already have space for parking, water and toilet facilities where a waste disposal point could be added on site, your cave tour and restaurant are an attraction to potential motorhomers, who on average spend around £47 per day.
There would very little financial outlay needed and you would very quickly be earning an income from an Aire and attracting paying customers to your museum.

CAMpRA recommend a charge of £10 per 24hr parking, or a £15 charge could be applied simply by adding inexpensive to install, water and waste facilities. Currently your car park has these facilities and is empty at nights and not earning income.

For example, if you had an average of 3 motorhomes stay per night, and you charge £15 per night x 3 M/Hs = £45 X 300 days = £13,500 income from parking alone, then add the extra income 1,800 visitors would bring to your museum, 1800 x £15 each x 300 days = £27,000. Grand annual total £40,500 potential income. With 5 motorcaravans that could reach £67,500.
It is also a known fact that where motorhomes are parked, anti social behaviour and fly tipping has ceased adding to the security of that area.

How do you allow motorhomes to park?
You can apply for a free Exemption Certificate (Exempt From Planning), which would allow you to have 5 motorhomes per night staying on your premises. Under this scheme you do not need to apply for planning approval, “MotorhomeFun” will contact your local council and make them aware of the exemption on your behalf.

Aire Planning Exemption – MotorhomeFun Support

We have a number of Exemptions granted and currently being processed, why not look at this free scheme and to help Creswell Heritage Trust to benefit from this much needed income.

I am available to discuss this further by phone or Zoom or I could attend a site visit if this would be helpful and bring along my motorhome if needed.
Steve

Post by Steve »

From Liz Munns on Facebook
I know someone had been in touch with Creswell Crags about their car park but may not know that this is owned by the Welbeck Estate. We were there a few weeks ago and was talking to a gentleman who was surveying the Estate generally to improve their visitor experience. They also own the huge car park which services the garden centre, farm shop, gallery and excellent cafe - only 1/2 mile by safe footpaths to Creswell. We don’t live near but wonder if they may be interested - particularly where stop local, shop local is concerned. Is there anyone who lives locally who might pursue this - unfortunately we are quite a distance away. It has a lot to offer. Fabulous walks, history, nature etc.