Bristol/Bath
Dorset
Somerset
Cornwall and Scilly Isles
Devon
TisAndyT

Dorset Council

Post by TisAndyT »

I emailed my Dorset Council rep yesterday to see what the Council is doing about Motorhomes and to share the All Parties working group notes. I received the following TODAY - Last year DC made some changes to support and encourage more people to visit Dorset in their Motorhomes. A key part of which was allowing motor homes to camp overnight in selected DC car parks. Granted there isn’t power hook up, waste or sewage disposal. We have been inundated with planning applications for campgrounds, to support the tourism boom in Dorset this year.

I replied suggesting DC should look at joining this forum to publicise what they are doing etc
Steve

Re: Dorset Council

Post by Steve »

Yes I agree but offer our help to assist them and advise them.
Waste points can be provided in easy to install locations or by commercial organisations to support the overnight parking.
Our members can help to locate and contact these site.

Please explain again that we do not require ehu as we are self contained 😩😩

If they provide us details we can add to Searchforsites and ensure motorcaravans are directed to the correct car parks.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

I'm an East Midlands member, but have just returned from Dorset.
We visited Portland Island and one of their new stop over sites

The attendant lives in a motorhome on site !!! He was rightly proud that he had demanded the site be flattened to encourage more people to stay
But although we do not consider £10 too much to charge - - - for the amenities provided it is

BUT it's a start keep going @TisAndyT
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

How simple is this? From a Cs in Lincs.
Attachments
IMG_20210611_133506.jpg
IMG_20210611_133506.jpg (4.86 MiB) Viewed 3700 times
IMG_20210611_133416.jpg
IMG_20210611_133416.jpg (5.29 MiB) Viewed 3700 times
TisAndyT

Post by TisAndyT »

thanks for your feedback, I have just tried searching Dorset Car Parks and am bitterly disappointed. I will contact the council with some of the recent posts from CAMpRA re black and grey waste etc. They need to understand the problem and help fix it.
TisAndyT

Post by TisAndyT »

I received a response to my 'complaint' from Dorset Council 'Service Manager for the Council’s Parking Enforcement Team' today. Usual story about concerns with people parking illegally, dumping waste and local sites loosing revenue BUT a statement that this policy would be reviewed in September for next year. I have therefore provided the CAMPRA Survey Results 2020, Providing a Service Point for Motorhomes and the All Party Parliamentary Group briefing documents. I also invited them to access this website as well as asking that they open dialogue.
I have also raised a request with the Dorset Tourism team, still waiting a response on that one though.

In the meantime you can go to this website, filter on Motorhome to find car parks in Dorset that you can use subject to spaces available
https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/parkin ... a-car-park
TisAndyT

Post by TisAndyT »

Progress progress
I got this reply today which I think is really positive given I only emailed them yesterday evening.

Thanks for your follow-up clarification. Please rest assured that this topic will remain on our agenda and I have retained your very useful information, and may indeed contact you again in the future if there is the will from the Portfolio Holder and Director to pursue this properly.