Somerset
Cornwall and Scilly Isles
Devon
Merlot

New parking schedule for Dorset

Post by Merlot »

I have just responded to this:

https://news.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/2021/ ... d-permits/
The survey about the permits is not relevent to CAMpRA.
However, hidden away at the end of the YouTube presentation is an invitation to respond and give feedback about the charging system by emailing: parkingtransformation@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk

As the proposed charging system mentions nothing about overnight parking I have sent them an email requesting they consider allowing motorcaravans to park and sleep overnight, using info from the CAMpRA website library to inform of the benefits of allowing overnight stays and the problems caused by banning motorcaravans.

I wait for a response with baited breath.
Steve

Re: New parking schedule for Dorset

Post by Steve »

Great well spotted, 🤞🤞
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Merlot

Post by Merlot »

I have just had a reply to my email - see my previous message :

Good morning Barbara,

Thank you for your email and highlighting the need for overnight parking for motorcaravans.
Overnight provision has not been included in this project as it is a huge project in itself. Dorset Council have been looking into motorcaravan provision and have been in communications with CAMpRA (as well as others) about this.
I think on this query it is a matter of ‘watch this space’ as something will happen, I just don’t know exactly when that will be yet.

Kind regards
Elizabeth Murray
Strategic Parking Project Manager
Parking Services
Dorset Council
Steve

Post by Steve »

Interesting comment “been in communication with CAMpRA and others” ?
But it looks like they are listening and considering overnight parking.
Steve

Post by Steve »

This was the email I sent when in the area.

Good morning we are retired couple touring Dorset in our self contained motorcaravan before the main season starts.
We are enjoying a stay in Salisbury and staying on a small site in the countryside over the weekend.
We really wanted to visit the coast and Poole in particular during the week but finding it impossible to find a campsite.
There are no sites close enough to Poole without the requirement to drive into Poole and park in our motorcaravan.
Most are grass sites unsuitable for a mcv if wet.

Are there any parking spots close to Poole that will allow an overnight stay for a fully self contained motorcaravan?
We simply need a place to park for 48 and go to sleep to allow us to visit the shops and support the struggling local businesses?

These facilities are common all over mainland Europe but the UK has yet to realise the huge year round spending of the 389,000 UK motorcaravans and the future business from encouraging the 2 million in Europe to visit.

Canterbury have operated a very successful scheme on their Park and Ride for several years, something that could easily be allowed in Dorset with the added benefit of reducing the carbon footprint.

It is disappointing and really confusing that in Poole there are car parks that allow motorcaravans until 23:59 then close and sit empty until 6:00 ??
Why? An empty car park generates no revenue for the council or the town.
You would attract a regular revenue stream by simply utilising an existing facility.
3264blanchard

Post by 3264blanchard »

Hi Steve

I've just read your email to the Council re parking in Poole. I just wanted to check that you sent it to BCP Council as opposed to Dorset CC, as Poole comes under BCP. A reply from either would be interesting as both have previously ignored every email I have sent!
Steve

Post by Steve »

I sent it to the email on the first post in this topic.
So Dorset.
Just trying to keep prompting them really.
Steve

Poole Rugby club

Post by Steve »

Stay overnight on car park.

Perfect location for an Aire and easy for waste point.
Emailed them suggesting the potential revenue for the club by allowing overnight stays.
Close to coast for walks.