Listing of Glenarm Marina, Co Antrim in New UK Aires and Waste Points.

Antrim
Armagh
Down
Fermanagh
Londonderry/Derry
Tyrone
pauls59@yahoo.co.uk

Listing of Glenarm Marina, Co Antrim in New UK Aires and Waste Points.

Post by pauls59@yahoo.co.uk »

I have just come back from a 3 night break - including 2 nights up the lovely Co Antrim Coast, Northern Ireland, at Carnfunnock Caravan and camping site, just outside of Larne. The pitches were slightly sloped, and I found my gas kept cutting out when trying to make breakfast. ( no levellers with me).

So, I headed up the coast to Glenarm Marina. Knowing it had just been highlighted by MidandEastantrimCouncil at end of May as 'initially allowing only 30 vans, and then reduced in June to 12, with security on site.

Sadly, on arrival, this was NO longer the case. The area that had been 'DESIGNATED' was now blocked by large boulders. There were about 12 motorhomes parked nearby in what is the 'Coach Parking area'. We parked here on both mornings to make breakfast, as it was level.
On the 2nd morning, whilst walking our dog, I got talking to the local Harbour Master. -

Had a chat with the Harbour Master. Asked about the Council plans for the old Salmon Fishery site, as it was now blocked off with large boulders. He said there used to be 50 MHs parked there. Then as we know the Council reduced this to 30 at end of May, then reduced it again to 12. Employed two security staff to enforce this.

They (Security Staff), started to get abuse from the MH owners being turned away, and refused to go back. The locals also complained to Council about the attitude of MH owners and the disgusting behaviour of some - Who emptied their cassettes into the river, or nearby toilets, thus blocking them. Hence the large stone bollards being out in place.

So, at present the Harbour Master doesn't know what the Council plan to do, moving forward.
The current toilet /shower facility at the harbour master office is two toilets/shower each for male/female use by the boat owners at the marina. This may not be enough if motorhomes were to be allowed to overnight.

I can see the locals putting up opposition, to any further development which would be a shame, as there is a lovely view up the Antrim coast towards Torr Head, and across to Scotland on a clear day.

So whilst the coach park has no facilities , except for a fresh water tap, it is a lovely space to stop, until coaches return again, after Covid. ( this would have been where they parked up, whilst their passenger tourists, visited the nearby Glenarm castle.
P Simpson
Ally

Re: Listing of Glenarm Marina, Co Antrim in New UK Aires and Waste Points.

Post by Ally »

The locals (not all) are very opposed to Motorhomes parking there. However the businesses are not, hopefully the businesses have their voice heard.
Motorhome Parking Ireland
https://motorhomeparkingireland.com
Madeinyorkshire

Re: Listing of Glenarm Marina, Co Antrim in New UK Aires and Waste Points.

Post by Madeinyorkshire »

Does anyone know if this facility has opened up again?