East Anglia
Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
CShel

Walcott, North Norfolk - MH Park ‘Nelson’s Patch’

Post by CShel »

A new ‘Motorhome Park’ will be opening on 14 July, solely for visiting motorhomes and campervans.
https://www.nelsonspatch.co.uk/

It’s got almost everything! It’s very ambitious and has invested in water, wifi and ehu on each ‘pitch’.

Keith, who manages it, told me the land belongs to the Lighthouse Inn, which also runs a caravan park on the other side (which he used to manage). They decided to provide this for MHs because last summer a line of MHs parked up all the way down the seafront blocking views and stopping others from reaching the shop and cafe there, and the beach.

At the moment there is no ehu, wifi working (delayed), so prices are ‘an absolute bargain’ at 33.3% off, however listed pricing shows the pitches to be charged at £31-33 per night.
0AF2CAB1-06BE-4682-B345-C79DE8526EB2.jpeg
0AF2CAB1-06BE-4682-B345-C79DE8526EB2.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3609 times
I’ve been invited to visit tomorrow at 4 pm to meet him and his partner, and look around.

Showers and laundry might be useful if people can afford to stay there for a while.
Let’s see.

I have sent him a follow up email, with links to CAMpRA, which he knew nothing about, and hope he will see that his expectations, that tourers will stay a while and would like to pay and book in advance, are not the norm, in our eyes.

Future plans include an electric car charging park, and CCTV. It seems the park will be unattended and CCTV will check visitors’ vehicles with anpr.
Steve

Re: Walcott, North Norfolk - MH Park ‘Nelson’s Patch’

Post by Steve »

I fear at those prices motorhomes will still be parked in the street.

To compare CCP are suggesting £10 to £12 for secure site with cctv, ehu and wifi.
If they take bookings, allow long stays and provide toilets and showers its another expensive campsite.
We stopped on CCC club site on hardstanding with ehu on outskirts of Salisbury, 1.5m pleasant walk into city at £21 per night.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
CShel

Post by CShel »

Well, it’s going to be expensive but that can be altered in due course. It will have ANPR linked to its CCTV system and let booked visitors enter to pre allocated plots. Each plot has a water and electric bollard with a light on top, and there’s a small waste grey water drain 9” diameter to the side - no good for us and others who drop - so they are now rethinking a service point outside the barrier in the spacious car park for passing tourers, and see it being a useful income stream after such huge investment.

I met the landowner, Steve B, who owned the Lighthouse Inn for 30+ years, and still owns the camping site next door, where MH/CV are still welcome. He charges similar prices there, so I assured him The MH visiting season would be year round unlike the tent site.

They have 20 plots, 5 longer for larger vehicles, and building should be complete next week, except for EHU and WiFi.

There are no toilets or showers despite their large seeer system and masserator, which could easily cope. Laundry and LPG is also missing from this ‘top end’ Park, if they want to charge those prices.

Also there is no big attraction nearby, apart from the beach reached by a 10 minute walk on footpath.
And there’s the pub with good food, but the idea of stopping there for a few nights at £30/night with meals at £30 ish seems far from likely unless on a short holiday, in which case, why go there?
8D904F9D-E250-4F50-BC34-19E70A4490AF.jpeg
8D904F9D-E250-4F50-BC34-19E70A4490AF.jpeg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 3603 times

It is well landscaped with attractive silver birch trees at the back for shade and there will be neat hedges around each plot. No dogs will be allowed as Steve says their much get caught in the mower to often on the other site. Children are welcome, and camping behaviours is allowed on each plots piece of grass which will have a picnic table on as well. I hope owners are happy with the family using their onboard toilets whilst on this top end site!

Shall we give them a big publicity shove to help them launch it?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Charles as discussed we should just list it as an Aire the same as any other.
Cost is too high for most of our members but thats not our decision.
I will add to new UK Aires and the photo can go in our gallery
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

What a shame he hadn't heard of us first, we could have advised him not to bother with all that infrastructure!
CShel

Post by CShel »

Yes, it’s a sad waste of investment money, but may appeal to the very rich.

This picture is not to be shared now. He will issue photos when it’s finished as he doesn’t want to project this image for a top end site. When finished there will be hedges too.