Bristol/Bath
Dorset
Somerset
Cornwall and Scilly Isles
Devon
Steve

New Ground -Portland

Post by Steve »

We met local members of CAMpRA when staying at this great Aire who where going to investigate the possibility of a waste point on the public toilet block.
Fingers crossed as this would be a great asset.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Sian

Re: New Ground -Portland

Post by Sian »

When we stayed there last Nov the guy told us a waste point was being added to the toilet block!
3264blanchard

Post by 3264blanchard »

Hi. According to Search For Sites, this is now day time parking only. :x Such a shame, we had planned to go there next month.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I've been in contact with the Town Council, this is the reply from the Deputy Town Clerk:

New Ground Carpark is classed as a Carpark and so we are covered by insurance and regulations for that description, we are not permitted to use the ground as a campsite which is essentially what has happened to a few of the carparks we are looking after at the moment. We do not have the facilities there to cope with the waste/rubbish that we have been experiencing up there either, also due to people emptying their ‘waste’ into the drains and toilets at Yeates, we have had to call Wessex water out more than 6 times this year to clear the drains already.

The Carpark is intended for people to park up and enjoy the views, walks, but unfortunately it has become more of a campsite, like as I mentioned before, we are not permitted to do.

Because of all of these reasons we have, for now, decided that no overnight parking should be up there, we do have a plan and procedure in place to change things in the near future but for now it will be no overnight.

I'm encouraged to see that there may be the possibility of allowing overnight stays in the future, and I will maintain contact.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I've been looking into this further.

Portland Town Council has a Car Parks Working Group that was tasked with addressing the parking issues at New Ground Car Park.

They produced a report which was presented to the Services and Facilities Committee Meeting on 19th July and also to the Full Council Meeting on 20th July.

The proposal included allocating one of the parking bays for motorhome and campervan parking with 9 dedicated spaces and a proposed charge of £11 for 24hrs to be paid via JustPark

I can't see a record of the proposals being discussed at either meeting, so I've asked if a discussion was held but not recorded.

Further updates may follow!
Steve

Post by Steve »

That would be a perfect solution
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Steve wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:45 pm That would be a perfect solution
Yes, together with a waste point at the public toilets which I believe was in an earlier proposal put to the council.

Interesting that the Car Parks Working Group recommend a 5m separation for fire safety reasons - wonder how they arrived at that figure?
Steve

Post by Steve »

The model standards for holiday parks state 5m if the static caravans are aluminium construction .

Might be worth sending them our fire safety report
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Steve wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:19 pm The model standards for holiday parks state 5m if the static caravans are aluminium construction .

Might be worth sending them our fire safety report
I've tried twice to contact the working group with no response. I'll maybe try the Services & Facilities Committee

Anyway, it was discussed at the Council meeting on 20th July:

To Consider a Proposal for New Ground Car Park.
The Chair talked through the proposals that had been agreed at the Services & Facilities Committee meeting on 19th July.
Resolved to restrict access to Bays 1 and 3; close Bay 4; allow access to campervans in Bay 2.
The cost of which is £2,350 plus vat
Resolved to look into charging campervans £11.00 a new via Just Park payment.
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

Andy, is it worth leadership discussing the possibility of supporting with a waste point? ( Campra or S4S).

It seems to me that people are much more likely to respond if financial support ( however small that might be) is offered.

I know that, originally, we were supporting only charities/communities etc but, as Councils are equally strapped, it's probably time to think about loosening the criteria.