Tyne and Wear
East Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
Jmick

Re: Whitby Again

Post by Jmick »

Here is the reply I have just received from Robert Goodwill MP. The negative attitude towards motorhomers and campervanners is pretty evident. None of the CAMpRA points I put to him and SCB have been addressed. In fact, he has also cited that the Esplanade in Whitby is now out of bounds! It is with some dismay that I am now ceasing to communicate with SCB and their MP. I feel that, instead of considering our points and suggestions, they have unfortunately become an increasingly lost cause. We will of course still visit when we can, as I feel it is important to support local retailers and pubs etc - but our main holidays will be in the Continent, Scotland and other places where we motorhomers are welcomed.

Here is his reply:

Dear Ms Micklethwaite
Thank you for your further email of the 19th of September.

The Scarborough and Whitby constituency have very many excellent caravan sites, both ones with comprehensive facilities such as those run through the caravan club, and others to a similar high standard from private companies, and we also during the summer have had a number of pop up sites on farmland with more rudimentary facilities. Scarborough and Whitby have always welcomed caravanners, which is why these facilities are so well used, and this shows we do cater well for people who wish to stay in the constituency and not just park up in a car park.

I have to say that the general view amongst councillors and others in the Borough is that motor homes should stay on a site, rather than use roadside camping. We have had problems in the south of my constituency with motor home and caravan owners dumping the contents of their chemical toilets near laybys, and also some isolated cases where littering has been associated with these overnight stops.

We have introduced some additional restrictions on car parking, particularly on the Esplanade in Whitby where those in guest houses were finding their views blocked from large white vehicles parked down the seafront.

Yours sincerely
Rt Hon Robert Goodwill MP
Jmick

Post by Jmick »

NB: Robert Goodwill (who replied to my email - above), MP for Whitby, is one of the members of Parliament who very recently voted to allow the continued dumping of raw sewage into our rivers and seas. He also asserts, as one of his reasons behind not allowing motorhomes to park overnight in his constituency, that caravan and motorhome owners have been emptying their toilet cassettes in lay-bys (another 'urban myth' that is being perpetuated by some media outlets about motorhomers). How hypocritical 😐!
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think one comment says it all the guest houses do not want their views blocked by big white vans.
They have a car park with CDP for boat owners but just do not want us there.
Why would you visit if we are not wanted?
We missed out Scarborough and Whitby on our last trip and found some great places that we would not have visited.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Jmick

Post by Jmick »

I've just sent (yet another) email to Robert Goodwill MP, Chamber of Commerce and Whitby Town Council attaching the latest news report regarding Gwynned's French style Aires project. Just trying to keep the argument 'alive' with Scarborough Borough Council re their oddly negative attitude to motorhomers/campervanners. Thought maybe a bit of 'psychology' might help - ie if they see another UK area's positive attitude to us then it just might provoke some change? I won't hold my breath. Will update if I hear anything back 👍.
Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

Might also be worth sending him the link to The Hub at Graiguenamanagh in Ireland - where motorhomes have brought in over €1.5 million to the local economy ...

bit.ly/3MiZBoa
Jmick

Post by Jmick »

Mr Goodwill replied (sort of). Thanking me for the email, saying he'd forward it to SCB.....he obviously doesn't want to get involved. This is around the fourth time I've sent him, SCB and Whitby Town Council correspondence/photo's of empty car parks in their area/examples of other UK Councils and their facilities, along with examples of ALLLLL the positives that welcoming motorhomers/vanners brings with it. I really do not understand their negative attitude to us. Maybe if there's been a change in Council members resulting from the last Local Elections we just might begin to get somewhere? Think more members need to echo the sentiments: bombard them with emails/letters? 🤷
Steve

Post by Steve »

Put a Request on the main group.
We bypassed Scarborough and Whitby on our trip last year and spent money in other towns that needed it.

Lots of emails explaining that members wanted to visit and sample the local food and drink and the excellent shops drove past instead as they are not welcome, may just catch someones attention?

Do they have a chamber of commerce or small businesses group who may be interested to know that the council are turning away “year round revenue” not just summer
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

I am beginning to think the best way forward is for a coordinated effort on Facebook targeting SBC and get our membership to email the council. Also try and find more local residents with motorhomes who can write to the MP.
Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

Agreed - I've put a couple of posts on the NE group.

However, Scarborough Council will shortly disappear as everything heads to Northallerton. We may have more luck one this lot have gone.
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

Worth mentioning the Northumberland & Durham trials too as it's geographically similar & not too far away.