East Anglia
Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
pauls59@yahoo.co.uk

Motorhome Parking in Ely, EastCambs.

Post by pauls59@yahoo.co.uk »

My email to customerservices@eastcambs.gov.uk on 15th Aug 2021.

Hello

Firstly, I would like to state I am a member of CAMpRA (Campaign for Real Aires UK).

Over the weekend, a fellow member posted on our FB group, that she had been visiting Ely, by train. Whilst wondering around your town, she saw there were two carparks, Forehill and Fisherman's (number 6 and 10 on your car park maps), that allowed Motorhomes.
Both of these car parks appear to operate 24 hours.

Looking around Forehill Car Park on Google maps, (map data 2021), it does appear to show larger parking bays that could take motorhomes, but none are specifically marked as designated motorhome parking bays.
On your website, the details for Fisherman's car park states Motorhome parking is available here, and is subject to the same conditions as details above. Overnight camping/sleeping is not permitted.
This is a long, small car park with no marked parking bays.( according to the Google image captured in June 2017).

Your East Cambridge District Council (Off Street Parking Places ) Order 2017, TRO,
section - General conduct of Drivers in Parking Places
23. No person shall use any part of a Parking Place or any Vehicle left in a Parking Place:
(a) for sleeping or camping: or
(b) for eating or cooking purposes.

Therefore, whilst there is motorhome parking available 24 hours in these two car parks, motorhome owners can not actually 'sleep' in their vehicle overnight, and enjoy the night life of Ely.

The nearest motorhome stop over place at night in Ely, would be either, the Layby off Cambridge Road,- no services, along side Ely City Golf Club, or the Authorised motorhome parking day or night - no services, at Ely Large Vehicle Parking area beside Burger King, at the A10 roundabout, Witchford Road, on the outskirts of Ely. ( both marked as such on www.Searchforsites.co.uk)

I include some information/videos and a link to our CAMpRa Business Hub, which has useful information for MPs, Councils about what is a motorhome, and what are our needs.

Allowing us to sleep overnight in either of these two car parks, would act as an anti social behaviour deterrent, (especially along Pegasus walk area, were the boats tie up.

At no time when parked up and sleeping in our motorhomes, (IF allowed in a car park), would we be deemed to be camping, as that hints at the setting up of seats, tables and cooking, outside, as explained below.

There are Councils around the country, who do allow Motorhome owners to park and sleep overnight in their car parks, and their TRO's, Car park signs allude to this. South Ayrshire Council is trialling this at the minute in two car parks in Girvan and Ayr until the end of September. Then it will be reviewed, and considered for continuation next year.

Please check these videos and website link.

Parking! Camping! so What's the Difference?

Throughout Europe local authorities/councils have in place anti-camping Bye-laws while at the same time providing parking facilities for motorhomes.

As a rule, parking is defined as follows:

A vehicle is deemed to be parked when

Only its wheels touch the ground
It occupies no greater a footprint than when it is being driven.
Camping is generally defined as follows:

A vehicle is deemed to be camped when any of the following are taking place

Stabilisers are deployed
Awning/sunshade is deployed
Cooking equipment is deployed (fires, barbecues, stoves, etc.)
Furniture (tables, chairs, etc) are deployed
Washing is hung out
Waste (solid or liquid) receptacles are deployed
The emission of any fluids onto the ground or discarding of refuse is usually dealt with under local anti litter or pollution legislation irrespective of whether the vehicle is parked or camped

http://www.campra.org.uk/business-hub/

I have just noticed I have yet to receive a response to this email.
So I am going to submit it again.
P Simpson
Liz Jackson

Re: Motorhome Parking in Ely, EastCambs.

Post by Liz Jackson »

After emailing Ely Council and receiving a very scant response informing me that they don't allow camping or sleeping in their car parks, I sent them this email.
Good morning, many thanks for your quick reply to my enquiry.
I am rather disappointed to hear that sleeping in motorhomes is not allowed.
Are you aware of the benefits of providing some overnight parking for self contained motorhomes, it would bring revenue to the town throughout the year. Providing an aire would be easy in Ely as you already have the space for the Motorhomes and you have the mooring facilities for the boats, so fresh water and waste disposal is already provided.
I will try to send you some additional information and I would appreciate it if you could please find the time to have a look and consider providing overnight parking or an aire https://campra.org.uk/
I am rather ashamed to say this, but I have a better knowledge of France and I spend more money in France as we prefer to stay in France as they welcome motorhomes and thousands of Aires are available throughout the country, it gives you the freedom to visit places throughout the year. However myself and other motorhomers would really like the opportunity to explore what is on our doorstep.
Kind regards Liz Jackson