Scenic Rail Britain

This is a place to post on organisations that cover all of the UK.
Steve

Scenic Rail Britain

Post by Steve »

Email sent to community rail network

Sarah Fatica
Head of people & funding

Good morning Sarah, I was interested in the project to promote the use of trains in scenic areas of our country as we are always looking for new places to go when touring the UK in our motorcaravan.
Whilst investigating it made think of the great opportunity that you have to encourage not only the 389,000 UK motorcaravans to use trains but once travel restrictions are removed attract some of the 2 million European motorcaravans.

Unlike mainland Europe and countries like Australia and New Zealand the UK are only just starting to realise the huge economic benefit of embracing our touring self contained motorcaravans.
Brexit and Staycations have highlighted the lack of facilities for motorcaravan overnight parking commonly known as “Aires”, recent survey indicated this is worth over £1 billion per year to local businesses from the UK motorcaravan owners alone.

The good news is that the solution is simple and can incur very little or even zero outlay, a modern self contained motorcaravan only requires a place to park and sleep overnight, having everything within the vehicle they do not require campsites (which are currently overwhelmed in the UK) and only require a place to top up with water and empty waste every few days.

I am part of CAMpRA.org.uk Campaign for Real Aire UK and in our first year we have over 25,000 members and with associates over 600,000 motorcaravan owners.

CAMpRA are recognised as the leading authority on UK motorcaravans and supported by the BPA and have been invited onto the APPG -Holiday Parks and Campsites as stake stakeholders.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss this with you and provide information on how providing a few overnight parking spaces at suitable stations would not only encourage the use of the rail network but would generate additional year round revenue.

If you visit our website www.campra.org.uk you will find a link to our business hub, we have two short youtube videos in our library which explain whats is a self contained motorcaravan and the difference between an Aire and a Campsite.

Please feel free to contact me at anytime.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team