Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
PeterB

St Albans - Prae Wood Arms pub/restaurant possible location

Post by PeterB »

Mail sent Sept 1st, 2021.

As a local resident of St Albans, and a frequent visitor to the Prae Wood, which is a great place to eat and drink, I feel there is a missed opportunity within your operation for you to encourage more visitors to The Prae Wood and St Albans.

Thousands of UK motorcaravan owners, of which there are over 230,000 DVLA registered motorhomes in the UK alone, want to support local businesses all year around.

As a motorhome owner myself, all we require is a safe place to park and sleep in our fully self-contained motorcaravans for up to 48 hours. No water, no electricity etc required. Local campsites are unsuitable for impromptu visits and are mainly situated too far away from the places that we want to visit, shop, have an evening meal, relax and have a drink.

How can you attract this untapped revenue stream to spend their disposable income in your business?

Its relatively easy and straightforward with little or no financial outlay, you have a substantial car park at The Prae, plus significant grassed area on the entry to the site, possibly your other locations too, also unused hardstanding areas, you can simply apply for an exemption certificate to allow up to 5 motorcaravans to stay on your property overnight. One thing I’d like to mention is a good portion of motorhome users are retired with disposable income plus the presence of a small group of motorhomes can deter criminal activity and anti-social behaviour.

These overnight stop overs are common throughout Europe and are known as an “Aire”. Application is a simple completion of an online form, or as you are a pub / restaurant you can also apply to the Motor caravanners Club Nightstop Scheme.

I am a member of Campra.org.uk – the campaign for real aires.

There is a huge and growing demand for these small stopovers in the UK and they provide an ideal opportunity to promote and grow your turnover, plus free promotion on social media including the 184,000 members on “Searchforsites” and many other motorhome social media groups which are very active with people swapping recommendations.

What do you need to do to ensure you do not lose out on this revenue stream? Just contact me and I will provide links to free information and guidance on how this can work for your business. I am a motorcaravan owner and a volunteer, I make no money from this trying to support the economic recovery of our UK business by helping us to tour our beautiful country. Additionally I am meeting with St Albans BID team and have support from our local MP Daisy Cooper on the topic of encouraging further tourism to the area.

Best regards
PeterB

Re: St Albans - Prae Wood Arms pub/restaurant possible location

Post by PeterB »

As of Sept 15th no reply received. Chaser email sent today.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Is this a possible site for a SOTHO event?

viewforum.php?f=68
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Response from owners of the chain that own Prae Wood. I'm going to park this one up for the time being and revisit at later date, i suspect need to change tact on how to initially approach them.

=====================================================
From: Nicola Stuart <nicola.stuart@brunningandprice.co.uk>
Sent: 16 September 2021 13:35
Subject: FW: Prae Wood arms St Albans

Hello there,

I’m so sorry that you haven’t received a reply to your email.

Sadly we are unable to offer this. At the example you have given at the Prae Wood Arms our lease from our Landlords prohibits this, as in many other of our pubs too and some simply to do not have ample space to accommodate.

Sorry that we cannot be of more help and appreciate you getting in contact with the idea.

Kind regards, Nicola.