Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire

Regions In Scotland
arthur49

Re: Aberdeenshire - Burn O'Vat Visitor Centre

Post by arthur49 »

Burn O'Vat Visitor Centre, Dinnet, Aberdeenshire
We stopped over here last night and loved it. Drinking water, CDP, overnight, all for a donation - we were happy to pay £10.
Friendly welcoming Ranger advises 99% of campervanners are responsible and respectful. But some spoil it - no donation, complain that you've to walk 30m to fetch water in a container as no vehicular access to tap, and, in a car park which can be tight during the day, some put out awnings taking up parking spaces.
We've all got to counter this behaviour by being exemplary ourselves - get your litter pickers out! (though it was spotless anyway)
Steve

Re: Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire

Post by Steve »

Says free on Searchforsites https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=38812
I will update to say donations
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

Steve wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:40 pm Says free on Searchforsites https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=38812
I will update to say donations
We were aware that some didn't donate when we there but there is a sign and a box and you can even donate electronically. See photo. I submitted CAA for it ....
Attachments
20210930_143206.jpg
20210930_143206.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 1444 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Unfortunately we have a band of freeloaders who will go to great inconvenience to avoid paying and openly brag that they arrive late and leave early to avoid paying. Thankfully the majority are honest responsible owners.
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

Yes. If I hear "I pay my road tax, I have insurance and MOT so I can park where I lke" ...... :evil:
GWB

Post by GWB »

I'm yet to receive a response to my second email to St Cyrus NNR, which was sent on 22nd Sept - however I see from the later response that they have considered my suggestion of limiting the one night stay due to a small amount of spaces available.

As to my other points, which included the following, I think I'll just leave chasing it for now as the initial response from Gavin Clark (Ops manager Tayside & Grampian) made it clear that they want to keep overnighting low key. I suspect this will prove impossible in such a stunning location, but think I'll respect their wishes and not push any further for answers at this stage. What do you guys think?

I asked if smaller vans (e.g. VW size) could use car bays for over night.
I suggested a donation sign at the CDP for those not overnighting.

Meanwhile, I'll kick off another topic to capture the exciting castle developments in my home town :-)
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

You're doing a great job Gary, I'll leave you to it ........... Thank you
arthur49

Re: Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire - Visit Scotland reply

Post by arthur49 »

Reply received from Jo Robinson, Visit Scotland - need to monitor now, we've made our case to Aberdeen City Council and they are looking at improvements:

"Hello Arthur,

Thanks for your message. I believe my colleague Caroline has already responded, and I will certainly continue to highlight this issue to the Local Authorities I work with, including Aberdeen City.

Kind regards,
Jo Robinson. REGIONAL DIRECTOR | ABERDEEN, ABERDEENSHIRE & MORAY SPEYSIDE"
GWB

Post by GWB »

St Cyrus progress.
Looks like 5 van spaces at the back as opposed to 3 on the plans (if I remember correctly).
Definitely going to need ramps!
They now have a cash box beside the toilets for donations. I prefer that as it ensures St Cyrus gets the money.
Attachments
PXL_20211120_123852985.jpg
PXL_20211119_151359913.jpg
Steve

Post by Steve »

Any update on this application?