Reply from SBC regarding their car Parks.

Regions In Scotland
Grey Wanderer

Reply from SBC regarding their car Parks.

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Not all negative...they will look into it...later.
Dear Mr ...
I have received the following response from officers to your comments about parking:

During 2018, consultation was carried out with Local Members, Community Councils and members of the public regarding the restrictions in off street car parks.

All of the Scottish Borders free car parks were included in this order (attached for information). It seemed heavy handed to erect signs at every car park, bearing in mind that some of these are in quiet residential areas and never created any issues. We assessed the use of these car parks and erected signs at the following locations in 2019

Jedburgh – Canongate
Newcastleton – Douglas Square north and south
Innerleithen – Hall Street and Leithen Road
Peebles – Kingsmeadow Road and Neidpath
Galashiels – Netherdale
Eyemouth – Harbour Road, High Street, Leisure Centre, Seafront and Victoria Road
Hawick – Mart Street and Commonhaugh
Kelso – Knowes

All of the above, except Commonhaugh in Hawick, have ‘no camping, cooking or sleeping’ on their signs. I have attached an example for your information

I am not aware of any signs being erected since 2019 which specify no overnight stay or no camping.

I appreciate that this merely confirms what you have already told me and does not solve the problem you have identified. However, I have now requested that – once the pandemic is over and officers have the time – that sites should be identified in the Borders where overnight parking can be permitted.

Thank you for getting in contact
Best wishes
Simon
Steve

Re: Reply from SBC regarding their car Parks.

Post by Steve »

Positive except the phrase once the pandemic is over and they have time .
That will be too late at once restrictions are lofted thousands of motorcaravans will be touring and need places to stay.
If they are in lockdown surely they have more free time?
Also what time is needed for a temporary lifting of the “no sleeping” to cope with the post lockdown rush?

I would reply and suggest a temporary lifting of the restrictions to allow them to deal with the inevitable rush of motorcaravans and use that time to assess the impact
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team