Oxfordshire
Surrey
West Sussex
Hampshire
Isle of Wight
Andrew Mason

Portsmouth CC

Post by Andrew Mason »

Email sent 13 Jan 21 to Steve Pitt (Cabinet Member for Culture, Leisure and Economic Development & Deputy Leader in Portsmouth)
Contact details: https://democracy.portsmouth.gov.uk/mgU ... px?UID=886

See what happens.

Dear Sir,

I am writing about the lack of provision in Portsmouth for the motorhoming tourist and loss of revenue this represents. This is not unique to Portsmouth but various cities and councils in the UK are tapping into this market segment. Motorhome sales in the UK have been growing rapidly for a number of years with now over 380,000 motorhomes registered with DLVA. The number of motorhomes in Europe is significantly higher. At an average spend of circa £50 a day there is huge potential income for those councils that respond positively, ideally with a French aire-type facility.

The enforced staycation in 2020 highlighted the number of these vehicles and the negative effects of mis-managed demand. It is highly likely that 2021 will be the same or worse as many councils have been increasing the restrictions being placed on motorhome parking. However, managed correctly this can be turned into a revenue stream that, due to the nature of motorhoming, could be maintained outside the usual May-September holiday season.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk to you further on this subject. I have access to various resources from CAMpRA, an on-line group set up in 2020 and currently with over 15,000 members, who campaign for better provision for motorhomes in the UK. Provisions that are the norm and benefit tourist business throughout Europe.

Regards,
Andrew.

Andrew Mason
Andrew Mason

Re: Portsmouth CC

Post by Andrew Mason »

Update:

Edwards, Jenny <Jenny.Edwards@portsmouthcc.gov.uk>
Wed, 27 Jan, 14:39 (18 hours ago)
to me

Dear Andrew,

Further to your email below Cllr Pitt has asked me to arrange a virtual meeting so that this can be discussed. Also present would be Stephen Baily (Director of Culture & Regulatory Services) and two members of his team. Would you be available on any of the dates/times below:

· 10th Feb - 13:30-14:30
· 17th Feb - 09:00-10:00 / 14:00-15:00 / 15:00-16:00
· 18th Feb - 12:00-13:00
· 19th Feb - 10:00-11:00

Apologies that these suggestions are a few weeks away but Cllr Pitt's diary is really busy and these are the best dates/times that fit with everyone.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Jenny

Jenny Edwards
Executive Assistant to Leader & Deputy Leader and Members' Services Manager
Executive Support Team
Corporate Services
Portsmouth City Council
Floor 3, Core 3-4, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2AL
Tel: 023 9283 4551

Email: jenny.edwards@portsmouthcc.gov.uk
Web: www.portsmouth.gov.uk
Steve

Post by Steve »

Well done Andrew, I am free to join any of those dates and times.
Best=to go for the earliest one if we can
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Roy
Site Admin

Post by Roy »

I'm also free to join the zoom meetings.

I live in Waterlooville.

Yours Roy
Administrator
Campaign for Real Aires UK - CAMpRA
www.campra.org.uk
Yours Roy
Chair
CAMpRA UK Ltd
Not For Profit
Campaign for Real Aires UK
www.campra.org.uk
www.campra.org.uk/forum/
Andrew Mason

Post by Andrew Mason »

Update 28 Jan15:18
My reply to Portsmouth CC

Dear Jenny,
Thank you for your invite to the virtual conference to discuss the provision of motorhome parking in Portsmouth with the intent to increase tourist income to the area.

I would be able to make any of the times on the 17th and 18th Feb., preferring the 0900 slot on the 17th.

Please extend the invite to 2 of my associates and fellow motorhome owners, Steve Haywood and Roy Goring, who are available at the above times. Both Steve and Roy have greater knowledge of working motorhome provision in the UK, and are on the leadership team of CAMpRA, a voluntary group who are contacting numerous councils and organisations in the UK to encourage motorhome parking and continental style aries, providing help and assistance to this end. Further information on CAMpRA can be found on the website: https://campra.org.uk/

Best regards,
Andrew.
Andrew Mason

Post by Andrew Mason »

Update: 29 Jan
Zoom meeting confirmed for 0900 Weds 17 Feb

Edwards, Jenny
12:40 (4 hours ago)
to me

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for getting back to me. I've confirmed the meeting in diaries for 9am on Wednesday 17th February. Please find the Zoom joining details below:
(removed from email)

Please feel free to pass these on to Steve Haywood and Roy Goring.

Many thanks

Jenny
Steve

Post by Steve »

Andrew you can share the link on contact@campra.org.uk and Roy will forward it to me
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

Hi Andrew,
I am available to Zoom on any of thoes dates.
Can I suggest,
1/ You have a pre Zoom among ourselves to iron out any questions you think you might get asked.
2/ Ask Jenny Edwards if she has any questions for you to consider before the Zoom meeting as this may provide more concise answers for them.

If you need me I am here.

Eddie
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks Eddie, Roy and I are working with Andrew and we have forwarded an agenda and relevant documents.
Andrew Mason

Post by Andrew Mason »

Zoom meeting 17 Feb - summary:

Meeting attended by 3 members from CAMpRA and 4 from Portsmouth CC.
Document (see Attachments tab below) sent in advance.

Very positive meeting.
The council very pleased with the information in the document and have already been looking the motorcaravan tourist market.
Opportunities from UK and European tourists and future town developments were mentioned, together with concerns over mis-use.
We were able to discuss different working solutions for overnight parking with sleeping and also options for service points.

- The council attendees will discuss this further and anticipate coming back to us for more information and discussion.
- Email sent to PCC thanking them for meeting and welcome future contact.
Attachments
ppc discussion on motorhome parking - rev forum.docx
(5.61 MiB) Downloaded 208 times