Bristol/Bath
Dorset
Somerset
Cornwall and Scilly Isles
Devon
Steve

Devizes

Post by Steve »

Will try to be brief. I have been in contact with Devizes Town Council and Wiltshire Council about motorhome provision. It hard going but I will not give up.
So this is the plan. I have spoken with my very good friend and mayor of Devizes Chris Gay.
She would like some help with this and has requested that members of CAMpRA email her with the reasons why you would visit Devizes if there were overnight parking and facilities in Devizes
I am posting on here the blurb for our town and surrounding area so you can write an original email to her. She does not want a preprepared letter so really be imaginative.
I have told her motorhomers travel all year round so income would be year round.
Chris and the town council have all the CAMpRA documents as I gave them hard copies.
She would like to know where you would go and spend you money etc.
Please mention if you belong to otherr motorhome groups ie Motorhomes and Campervans Against Litter.
She is happy to receive as many emails as possible. We really are trying very hard so please take a minute to write.
Chris.Gay@devizes-tc.gov.uk
Thanks
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
arthur49

Re: Devizes

Post by arthur49 »

Done ..........
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I mailed Chris this morning:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Chris.Gay@devizes-tc.gov.uk
Subject: Devizes and motorhome parking

Hello Chris,

I write to you as a motorhome owner and a member of Campra, the campaign for real Aires which I understand you are aware of. Over on mainland Europe, governments, regional authorities, and town councils have for many years recognised the economic benefit of touring motorhomes visiting.

My wife and I, both retired and in our late 50’s frequently tour the UK staying at locations for one or two days, we enjoy taking in the sites, visiting shops, hospitality and attractions on foot then move on. We prefer to spend and eat out in the places we visit as opposed to preparing food in our very small onboard kitchen area. That said, we do keep some onboard basic provisions which again we prefer to buy locally and fresh as we go along. We do like a real open air local markets with all the sounds, character, and charm they bring.

Key for us is the places we park at being very close, or ideally in or on the edge of the towns and villages we visit. Reason for this is simple, we don’t want to walk much more than a mile or so each way, alternatively a bus journey of a few minutes is good, park and ride style.

When we park up, we don’t expect camping behaviour, i.e. we don’t put out chairs or tables, barbeques. None of that, it’s purely parking allowing us to sleep overnight – this is the same behaviour and expectation of almost every motorhome user I have come across in my many years of touring. Additionally, I can honestly say it is very rare to see litter or waste left behind in authorised parking places.

Campsites typically don’t work for us, as they are often too far from towns, usually with poor transport links, and frequently require staying more than a few days with pre-booking, plus cost the earth due to the services they provide such as electrical hook-up and toilet/shower blocks which as a self-contained motorhome we don’t need. The pre-booking of campsites really doesn’t work for motorhome users who enjoy deciding on the day where to go next. We do use them from time to time though but usually for respite from touring and refill and empty our water and waste tanks.

We rarely use hotels, instead preferring the freedom touring and the spontaneous visiting opportunities it provides, and we may suddenly decide enroute to divert and visit for a day or two. On the continent its so easy to do as there are literally thousands of places to park overnight, almost every village having a parking Aire. My wife enjoys shopping and the draw of small shops, restaurants, historic churches and old engineering such as canals, railways etc always appeals to us both and we make an effort where we can stop overnight to visit such places of interest.

We live in St Albans. Devizes has many similarities in terms of character, markets, and history although you beat us hands down on canals. The west country is such a beautiful part of our country and Devizes we have passed by several times in our motorhome but unfortunately due to lack of motorhome parking provision have not been able to stop and spend an evening overnighting which subsequently prevents us from having an evening meal out.

It would be amazing if for Devizes and vicinity of local attractions that provision for overnight motorhome parking could be made, of course we expect to pay to park overnight. I won’t go into describing my views as to the positive local economic benefits from the motorhome visitor spend as I’m sure others have already highlighted this.

My wife and I would dearly love to visit if safe parking provision was made and would probably do so a few times a year as we tour throughout the year, not just the summer months which sometimes can be too busy. Hopefully, my email will help give you a perspective from a motorhome users point of view. Please feel free to reach out to me if I can be any further help.

Regards
Peter
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Nice reply from Chris a short while ago:
---------------

Sent: 22 September 2021 13:09
Subject: Re: Devizes and motorhome parking

Hello Peter

Thank you very much for your interesting and very informative email.
Facilities for overnight stays for motorhomes is an initiative that we are currently exploring.

My regards

Chris Gay
Mayor of Devizes
Stephen Peacock

Post by Stephen Peacock »

Got the same positive response. Great.
Steve Peacock
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

My Rosie has sent in an email.
Sian

Post by Sian »

hi johanna - sent mine yesterday - and i see you are copied in to the reply.
i’m local in chippenham- so if you need any help i’m happy to volunteer
sian
Steve

Post by Steve »

We just need to keep trying to get more members to send emails.
Thanks to everyone who has sent them.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team