Lancashire
Merseyside
LeadysOnTour

Knowsley Council Request

Post by LeadysOnTour »

I recently sent a template to Knowsley Council

hopefully, we will get a response

Dear Mr Byron / Knowsley Councillors
Knowsley is such a lovely place and is missing out on income from the fastest growing market sector of tourists, ie motorhomes.
Motorhome owners don't need campsites with all the bells and whistles - toilets, shower blocks, clubhouses, play areas - just a place to park for one or two nights.
In Knowsley, we have numerous big car parks and also have an amazing green and open space master plan near the Halsnead Garden Village in Whiston, where between 5-10 spaces could be designated for motorhome overnight parking.
This would have a number of benefits to the region.
• Extra parking revenue - surveys show motorhomers are prepared to pay £5 per overnight plus whatever is the standard charge for daytime parking. Better than the land standing empty overnight - car parks can raise revenue for 24 hours.
• The 12 space parking could be a perfect place for people to over night before visiting the likes of Knowsley Safari Park, Prescot with its new developments, or our neighbouring areas, including heading into Liverpool city centre.
• Motorhomers spend, on average, in excess of £47 per night in local businesses such as shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs.
• The presence of a group of motorhomes parked up overnight can be a deterrent to criminals.
• There are massive networking opportunities between motorhomers' social media groups and there would be lots of free advertising of the area as a tourist destination.
• We support the environment - most of us carry litter pickers and tidy up whatever we find around us. We do not make a mess.
• All over Europe there are networks of motorhome 'Aires', our twin town, Moers, has a number specifically at ENNI Wohnmobilstellplatz. They roll out the red carpet and benefit from the motorhome tourists' €s.
As an experienced motorhomer, I have identified a number of possibilities throughout our borough eg the proposed Carp Park for Halsnead Village Green and Open Space; Stadt Moers Car park Paradise Lane; Stadt Moers Car park Pottery Lane; Car Lane Woods parking; and so many more, which are very easily accessible to our perfect highways network and all have walks and amazing views, and our attractions.
I appreciate that there might be issues that could concern you but none of them is insurmountable. Canterbury has three such aires and they are making a lot of money for the council. They have tried and tested strategies for dealing with any potential issues that might arise and are happy to speak to anyone who would like to consider opening an aire – please visit www.campra.org.uk for contact details.
I should really appreciate the opportunity to meet with you in person ( I would like to bring the motorhome to demonstrate how we are self-sufficient and self-isolating).

Please check out the CAMpRA website www.campra.org.uk, where you will find lots of information on how to set up an aire and the benefits they can bring. There is even a ready prepared strategy document for you to use.
Motorhome stopover sites would have no impact at all on local campsites, hotels and B&Bs as they are a different market - without Aires in the UK, motorhomers will simply take their holidays and their money to Europe, and European motorhomers will probably not come here. We have information that Europeans are baffled and dismayed by the UK's lack of specific provision and are, on the whole, unwilling to pay the extortionate rates demanded by campsites.
I should appreciate it if you would consider this request and would be grateful if you could organise a face to face meeting. I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours sincerely

A Knowsley Resident
Gary Leadbetter
Steve

Re: Knowsley Council Request

Post by Steve »

Excellent letter.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Grey Wanderer

Re: Knowsley Council Request

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Did you hear anything back from Knowsley?