Fife

Regions In Scotland
Steve

Fife

Post by Steve »

Just had a lengthy chat with Robbie Blyth Fife Coast and Countryside Trust. He wrote the report for Fife Council.
He is well onside, only just joined Campra.
They have set up a trial site, looking at more around Fife.
He is pushing for motorhome overnight parking bays in most of Fifes car parks.
They are allowing you to park in normal bays during the day but must move to an overnight bay to stay overnight.
Overnight bays have 3m spacing.
When you pay £10 24hours you get a code to access a dedicated toilet.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
potty

Re: Fife

Post by potty »

£10 with no water or waste seems a bit steep! Are the car parks paid or free for other users?
Biggarmac

Post by Biggarmac »

The aire at Lochhore Country Park is £10 for parking in a dedicated area. There is water and waste disposal available. Also some EHU points at an extra £2.50.
Steve

Post by Steve »

The trial one has access to a dedicated toilet your are given the code when you pay.
It is a trial and they are working to get a network of sites some with waste points.
We just need to keep promoting the benefits to Fife Council
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Captlimey

Post by Captlimey »

In response to Eddie Yarrows suggestion on our FB site today I sent a modified 'businesses' letter to the five equestrian centres that I could find in Fife where I live. I also wrote to and sent the Strategy document to the Fife Courier. Thank you Leadership Team for all your efforts and support.
Captlimey

Post by Captlimey »

Today I wrote to the Director of the Falkland Estate Trust who manage the Falkland Palace Estate, suggesting that their nice new car park by the Pillars Of Hercules farm shop/restaurant on the A912 road to Falkland, would be an ideal spot for an aire. I'd made the mistake in a former communication of not directing it to an individual. I hope that addressing it to the 'top dog' this time will have more effect.

Fingers crossed - we shall see :?
Biggarmac

Post by Biggarmac »

Is the Falkland Palace Estate part of National Trust for Scotland or is the wider estate still run by Ninian Stuart (or his factor)?
Captlimey

Post by Captlimey »

Hi Biggermac

I believe the estate is part of NTS. The palace is closed to the public and occupied by Ninian Stuart's family during the winter, as they spend their Christmas holiday there, lucky them! The wider estate is run by the Falkland Estate Trust for NTS.
Last edited by Captlimey on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captlimey

Post by Captlimey »

I've just written a good old fashioned letter and hand posted it to my local Fife councillor, Andy Heed and a similar email to the Head of the Fife Council planning department (pam.ewen@fife.gov.uk), asking what the Fife council are planning to do to handle the anticipated surge in 'staycationing', in particular motorhomes, when the CV19 restrictions are lifted. I've suggested that encouraging motorhomes to stop & shop in Fife is an ideal method of supporting local hospitality and tourist commerce that are currently struggling to survive.

It might help our case if other Fife resident CAMpRA members email Ms Ewen in a similar vein?

Note:
Reply received 19/02/21 - email passed to Chris Smith, Lead Officer in Planning for response within 10 days.

Update:
08/03/21 Full and supportive reply received from Chris Smith - excerpt:-

"I have now had the chance to discuss your correspondence with colleagues in Planning, Economic Development, and officers within the Coast and Countryside Trust; all of whom have remits covering tourist and leisure facilities provision within Fife.
Certainly, I would agree that there is currently an increased interest from existing site operators as well as from some potentially new operators regarding improving and expanding the camping, touring and motorhome offering available in Fife. Colleagues from the aforementioned 3 key areas, also continue to liaise and co-ordinate improvements to facilities and offerings with VisitScotland and indeed Fife is proactively using its part of an award from VisitScotland's Rural Tourism Infrastructure Fund towards Fife Outdoor Tourism Infrastructure Programme - a partnership project between Fife Council and Fife Countryside Trust, to provide a network of parking, toilets, interpretative and renewable energy points for vehicles primarily serving the Fife Coastal Path, the Pilgrims Way and Fife 191 driving route but in sustainable and co-ordinated designated sites and indeed VisitScotland will continue to promote the responsible tourism message."

I replied thanking him and pointing out discussing the possibility of allowing motorhomes to stay overnight in Fife car parks, particularly Park & Ride and also, in his discussions with site operators, to suggest dedicated spaces for short term motorhome occupancy with CDP and water re-fill facilities.
Last edited by Captlimey on Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captlimey

Post by Captlimey »

Emailed Community Manager NE Fife Janice Laird on 23/02/21 - here's the positive reply which refers to FCCT as in the initial post by Steve re Fife.

Thanks you for your email. This matter was considered by a group led by a senior manager with responsibility for economic development and tourism prior to the pandemic. Since that time work has been taken forward through Fife Coast and Countryside Trust to develop a pilot initiative and secure funding. I have copied in the Chief Executive of FCCT who may be able to provide an update.

Janice Laird
Community Manager (NEF)