Camping Car Park list

General Information post not for specific country or area
Andrew Mason

Re: Camping Car Park list

Post by Andrew Mason »

Please add: Portsmouth

Contact details for the Council Culture, Leisure and Economic Development committee and its members:
https://democracy.portsmouth.gov.uk/mgU ... px?UID=886
I have made initial enquiries and arranging telecom for mid-Feb.

There is a Park & Ride which initially did allow tall vehicles to park and then they put in a height barrier.
https://parkandride.portsmouth.gov.uk/
Abingtom

Post by Abingtom »

AndyC wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:49 pm OXFORD

There is already provision for 'high sided vehicles' at 2 of the Oxford P&R sites: Redbridge (Oxford City Council) and Oxford Parkway (Oxfordshire County Council).

Both prohibit sleeping in vehicles. Redbridge is certainly used by motorhomes overnight and it is said that the attendants turn a blind eye, so this is a potential site. However it is also used by coaches and it's possible that the City Council would not want to lose coach parking spaces. It is also directly opposite the Camping & Caravanning Club site so anticipate objections from them - although it is almost always fully booked.

Oxford Parkway has a 6 bay over-height vehicles section - obviously too small for an aire. I don't know whether the car park is used to capacity, there may be potential to allocate a larger area within the existing car park or develop land alongside.

Another possibility (being investigated?) is the current CAMC site at Bladon Chains, Woodstock, the Club are giving it up in September so this would be a good option for CCP, giving walking access to Woodstock and Blenheim Palace and also a regular bus service to Oxford.
The Cabinet member in charge of car parks in Oxford is Tom Hayes. I sent an email a while back suggesting looking at some of the other P&Rs other than Redbridge and perhaps formalising the offer there. He may not respond as i'm not resident, but we'll see!
Steve

Post by Steve »

With reference to Portsmouth with now have a zoom meeting with Portsmouth council and tourism next week to discuss possible locations for Aires including the park and ride.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
LizM

Post by LizM »

Balmacara, just off the A87 a few miles before Kyle of Lochalsh and the Isle of Skye.
The site is a former campsite (maybe 20-20 years ago) and hasn't been used since. It's owned by Forest and Land Scotland.
There is an existing single track road around the site.
Loads of motorhome traffic passes on its way to the Isle of Skye
Carol 47

Post by Carol 47 »

There are charities that run sports centers etc. They might be worth contacting as charities are always looking to make a bit extra money. I have contacted Wigan Leisure & Culture Trust trading as Inspiring healthy lifestyles
Registration No. 04624607 // Registered Charity Number 1105278 as it runs a sports facility not far from me but it runs many others as well.
Leady

Post by Leady »

Please consider adding Newquay, Cornwall to your parking list. Newquay has suffered a perennial problem of surfers camping illegally on headlands and kerbsides for weeks on end and this has created a negative attitude against all motorhomes from residents and the town council. I think Newquay, as one of the UK's most popular holiday destinations, would be better served if it took positive action to accommodate motorhomes. I am interested in taking an active part in promoting motorhome facilities in my home town. I am a past mayor of the town and still have good contacts within the town council.

I have only recently discovered CAMpRA and its resources to promote a framework of Aires in the UK. An excellent initiative. Thank you.
LizM

Post by LizM »

North Kessock, Inverness

Highland Council own this land and tried to sell it in 2015/2016. Now they are trying to turn it into an Aire

Local Councillor who was disappointed when Highland Council's recent application to turn this parking area into an Aire didn't succeed in time for this coming summer:

Gordon Adam, 07787 152650, and gordon.adam.cllr@highland.gov.uk

North Kessock is a service area on the North Bound side of the A9 - trunk road heading north out of Inverness and on the way to the NC500. It has a large parking area, toilets and a cafe/restaurant and the dual carriageway has an existing 40mph limit to make entry and exit to the rest stop safer. And then next to the rest stop is an area of unused land, which looks like it used to be an Aire! There is an entry barrier, a road running round the perimeter, and then 8 - 10 parking bays off that road. The area is screened from the road and two local houses by mature trees. The south side of the plot has a steep hillside so the houses on that side are below the level of the potential Aire.

I have emailed the details to Alice Yentur of CCP
Hils and Glenns

Post by Hils and Glenns »

Hi This is my first post and I'm not certain of the set up. I hope I'm posting in the right place.
I live locally to Ripon North Yorkshire which is bang in the middle of some very good attractions. Unfortunately Ripon gets overlooked being the poor relation to Harrogate. Ripon has a number of carparks that are empty at night.
I have just read this article
https://thestrayferret.co.uk/ripon-bid- ... lSYs5wUKSM
I am thinking of approaching them re the possibility of motorhome parking. Has anyone already approached them? If not can you advise me on how to do it. Regards Hils and Glenns
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

Hills and Glenn’s.

Go to the Board index on here, and find England, then Yorkshire and post in there asking to join the Yorkshire Campaign Group where you will find local like minded people. More heads to work together. Eddie
Steve

Post by Steve »

jsmith770 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:05 pm Bamburgh has a big carpark under the castle walls. It has several huge motorhome bays that could potentially be used as an Aire. It was almost empty last summer when we used it.
Northumberland council have approved this as a trial site for a 12 month trial.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team